What If: Madison Scouts in the Top 8

143 members have voted

1. 1. The Madison Scouts place within the Top 8 at the 2011 DCI World Championships. Assuming 2012 mirrors 2011, do they...

• ...participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...decline participation in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...do something else entirely? (Specify)
  2. 2. The Madison Scouts decide to participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions which mirrors the 2011 season. Are you...

• ...more likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...less likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...equally likely to attend a TOC event?
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself...

• ...a die-hard Scouts fan?
    • ...a general Scouts fan?
    • ...indifferent to the Scouts?
    • ...an individual who dislikes the Scouts?

To somehow think that DCI is killing off smaller groups, but then somehow giving even open class corps the oportunity to make World finals, is a little off target i think.

perhaps you do not remember, but killing off the smaller corps (removing DCI support for open class, taking away non G7 votes regarding DCI decision making) is EXACTLY what the G7 was trying to do.

• Like 2

perhaps you do not remember, but killing off the smaller corps (removing DCI support for open class, taking away non G7 votes regarding DCI decision making) is EXACTLY what the G7 was trying to do.

Yeah, but we aren't discussing facts in this thread...only what people FEEL their favorite corps intended. I mean, it's not like it was a big deal or anything. We're all just blowing it out of proportion. :rolleyes:

:tongue:

• Like 1

i would imagine if the Scouts were eligible to join the TOC they would take a long hard look at the pros/cons of joining (cons mainly being the added costs like driving to texas for 2 shows then driving back to the midwest) then go from there...

• Like 2

I don't understand why some folks have such a big problem with the TOC, but had no problem with Murfreesboro the past few years?

Participation in Murfreesboro has been limited (to the exclusion of others) to the current top 8 drum corps. Participation in the TOC is limited (to the exclusion of others) in the top 8 drum corps based on finals placement from the previous year.

Both are DCI events, both limit participation to 8 corps, both exclude those not in the top 8. The only difference is the DATE the top 8 corps was determined.

The date makes all the difference in the world however. The selection for Murfreesboro was always based upon what a Corps did THAT SEASON in competition to earn the spot at Mufreesboro later that competitive season. By contrast, the selection for the TOC this season was based on PRIOR YEARS competition results. Corps selected for this years TOC were announced last season... before the camps. Thats a huge advantage right there, for one example of the advantages. The G8 Corps " won " before they started their camps. Madison may upset the applecart, but Madison is unique in this regard compared to the other 17 World Class Division Corps, as they have been DCI Champions before... and on more than one occasion too.

Edited by BRASSO

when will everyone learn that DCI is all about the Madison Scouts? :huh2:

• Like 2

i would imagine if the Scouts were eligible to join the TOC they would take a long hard look at the pros/cons of joining (cons mainly being the added costs like driving to texas for 2 shows then driving back to the midwest) then go from there...

It is my hunch that at least one, possibly 2 qualified TOC Corps may decide the costs in this years TOC participation will outweigh the hoped for benefits. And they themselves may squelch the slotted system within the World Class Division that was created for this year as a trial balloon.

when will everyone learn that DCI is all about the Madison Scouts? :huh2:

I don't get this. I mean, if you want to discuss, then discuss. But read the thread title...it's specifically with regard to the Scouts and the TOC. Is it really that hard to figure out? Or are you jus looking for an opportunity to make snide comments? :huh:

• Like 2

What say you, DCP?

Do you really want to know? Id like to know what our fans think. Someone should start a poll. I can't do it being that I am an alum. But our fan's could.

Just a thought...

Edited by thirdcoast

Why's that? If they wanna do a kickoff show with the Top 12 from the season before, then by all means.

But this series of shows at the exclusion of other corps is nonsense. How do you start each season with a clean slate when you're already behind the 8 ball? I mean, isn't that the point of a NEW season...to have a fresh start? Yet, we have this series of shows allowing for more head to head matchups among the Top 8. That clearly shows that those corps are "valued" more than others. This is a rich get richer scheme if there ever has been one. Which, I'm sure, was the intent from day one. How others can't see that is beyond me.

And to your assertion in the Murfreesboro thread, this is a principle issue for me. So no, I would not support it in the least.

Totally agree.

Having said that, IF the TOC exists next year and Madison "qualifies", I think they'll join.

Edited by AmFlag61