Southwestern Championship

I know, but I think they can still pull out something for the end. SCV's line has been clean since January, so they just need to get the last of the polishing done, but I think part of the problem is that the percussion is "sticking out" so much over the hornline. That will throw off any music ensemble or percussion score.... Once the brass gets everything down, and the volume up, then the drum score should go back up.

Without some pretty major rewrites in their percussion book, they won't catch the top 3 in my opinion. They can clean and polish all they want, but the other groups are cleaning and polishing as well, while playing a much more demanding book. Rennick has never seemed to be one for rewriting just for demand's sake. Don't get me wrong. I love the book. Its really musical, and fits really well with what the horn arrangements are doing, but the fact is, they aren't up there with the percussion leaders this year.

Santa Clara Vanguard 9th with BOTH GE Music judges tonite... and 8th with the Brass judge. This is sort of surprising to see a quality Corps like SCV with these type brass and music numbers, imo.

They need to reevaluate in the off season their music selection. Its clearly keeping them from where they want to go for sure. Not just with most fans, but now even with most judges.

Music GE is such a subjective caption, which is kind of lame. And 8th in brass sounds about right. I love SCV, I really do, but they're still having a lot of brass issues. It's time to hunker down and really scrub the music for the next week or two if they want any shot at the Top 5. Plus, it will help their percussion too to have the horns at full force. :thumbup:

And some of us like their show. Think it's one of the best designed actually. I think it's a bit out-there for most people, but it's not a traditional DCI show. No "park-and-bark", the whole show isn't above FF. SCV's approach the last couple of years seems to be more about presenting real music on the field, instead of drum corps music. If that makes sense.... The source music they're using isn't very "Balls-to-the-wall", so I think they're actually doing it more justice than if they cranked the volume for the whole thing.

• Like 1

I wouldnt lump all blue devils fans together, but this particular BD fan/FMM seems to be quite bitter when his corps isnt winning. Everytime theres a critique or comment against BD hes one of the first to give a rebuttal

Did you not do the same with Cavies and losing visual yesterday?

• Like 1

I wouldnt lump all blue devils fans together, but this particular BD fan/FMM seems to be quite bitter when his corps isnt winning. Everytime theres a critique or comment against BD hes one of the first to give a rebuttal

When was I bitter? Dude was the one with the "typical blue devil" comment. Seems to me you Cavies dudes are the sensitive ones. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

• Like 1

Santa Clara Vanguard 9th with BOTH GE Music judges tonite... and 8th with the Brass judge. This is sort of surprising to see a quality Corps like SCV with these type brass and music numbers, imo.

They need to reevaluate in the off season their music selection. Its clearly keeping them from where they want to go for sure. Not just with most fans, but now even with most judges.

As much as I like their music in places, I'm not really sure how it communicates whatever it's supposed to communicate, which is what I understand GE to be about even though I don't understand what GE is about.

When was I bitter? Dude was the one with the "typical blue devil" comment. Seems to me you Cavies dudes are the sensitive ones. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Well we forgive you this time

Just don't let it happen again

Music GE is such a subjective caption, which is kind of lame. And 8th in brass sounds about right. I love SCV, I really do, but they're still having a lot of brass issues. It's time to hunker down and really scrub the music for the next week or two if they want any shot at the Top 5. Plus, it will help their percussion too to have the horns at full force. :thumbup:

And some of us like their show. Think it's one of the best designed actually. I think it's a bit out-there for most people, but it's not a traditional DCI show. No "park-and-bark", the whole show isn't above FF. SCV's approach the last couple of years seems to be more about presenting real music on the field, instead of drum corps music. If that makes sense.... The source music they're using isn't very "Balls-to-the-wall", so I think they're actually doing it more justice than if they cranked the volume for the whole thing.

I hear you. I can appreciate that you like their music selection. But whether we like it or not, one can't escape the reality that just about all the judges in DCI that judge GE Music are telling SCV unmistakeably that the music doesn't click in a " General Effect " way. In a year of inconsistent swings with some judges, SCV has been getting these low GE Music scores pretty much all summer with just about all the judges that judge this caption. These SCV marchers can clean asnd polish like heck from here on in, but " GE Music " is not one of those captions that can get a lot of higher marks through cleaning by marchers. The " GE Music " caption is fundamentally a design caption first and foremost. The judges are telling SCV some useful info for the future, imo. SCV can of course accept or reject such judging community's input re. " GE Music " too. And of course, your enjoyment ( and mine ) of something in music is never predicated on what a judge thinks either. So if you like SCV's music this year, thats cool too.

Edited by BRASSO

On 8 - 11 --

It is too early to really determine what the final outcome is going to be here. I did not particularly think BK did over 10th, and BS has work to do also. I have a feeling Madison will peak soon, and cannot really comment on Boston because I did not get to see their show live tonight. I seem to remember that last year the 8th spot even changed between quarters and finals. Nothing is set until the end, don't count and corps out, especially BS.

I hear you. I can appreciate that you like their music selection. But whether we like it or not, one can't escape the reality that just about all the judges in DCI that judge GE Music are telling SCV unmistakeably that the music doesn't click in a " General Effect " way. In a year of inconsistent swings with some judges, SCV has been getting these low GE Music scores pretty much all summer with just about all the judges that judge this caption. These SCV marchers can clean asnd polish like heck from here on in, but " GE Music " is not one of those captions that can get a lot of higher marks through cleaning by marchers. The " GE Music " caption is fundamentally a design caption first and foremost. The judges are telling SCV some useful info for the future, imo. SCV can of course accept or reject such judging community's input re. " GE Music " too. And of course, your enjoyment ( and mine ) of something in music is never predicated on what a judge thinks either. So if you like SCV's music this year, thats cool too.

Thank you. What I meant that by cleaning the visual as well, will also help the music. I always think the two things are related. If you clean the visual and clean the music, the GE score can go up, because you're cleaning away the mud that clouds the GE picture.... Just all my thoughts. We'll just have to see what happens over the next three weeks of the season, still lots of time left.

• Like 1