Wherefore art thou, G8?

The proof is not in placement, it's in money.

If the TOC don't add the sizzle the G7 was counting on, DCI is going to get blamed and the foundation for revolt will be set.

If the TOC pays off in attendance as they expect the activity will be changed forever.

Nice position to be in, for them.

(EDIT: Oh yea, in before the close. Great topic, though!)

if the money isn't there, I'm not sure the blame will go on DCI. They've promoted it.

I know the TX shows weren't TOC, but seeing half empty stands at the first show couldn't have been a good sign in the place we've been told for years is the hotbed for marching arts

None of you understand the bond that unites the G8. Madison could never enter the G8 because they were not there that fateful night. What fateful night you ask? It was late. The charter members of the G8 were crossing the desert and they all saw the streak of light. No one knows which corps decided to investigate first, but they were ALL drawn to the impact site. As is typical, only staff were allowed to leave the bus - that's why some members weren't affected. They say it was the staff of a west coast corps who was assimilated first. The meteorite projected beams of strange blue, red and maroon light. For some reason, green was not part of the spectrum. By the time 7 of the soon to be 8 corps were assimilated, the light withdrew and there was a great splitting sound. Before their eyes lay eight crystals. Drawn to the crystals, each of 7 directors collected one crystal and received telepathic encoding explaining the prophecy of the 8th crystal. Mysteriously, the 8th crystal began to glow green. I would tell you more, but someone (or something) is pounding at my door. They're after me........ I have to go!

Relax, its just Charlie Sheen at your door. He heard about you, and he's intrigued about those colorful crystals that can make things glow.

Edited by BRASSO

if the money isn't there, I'm not sure the blame will go on DCI. They've promoted it.

I know the TX shows weren't TOC, but seeing half empty stands at the first show couldn't have been a good sign in the place we've been told for years is the hotbed for marching arts

That's the point, Jeff.

People want to watch June Drum Corps, about as much as they want to watch preseason NBA games. It could have been the resurrection of Star out there and the stands would have been half empty.

• Like 1

People want to watch June Drum Corps, about as much as they want to watch preseason NBA games. It could have been the resurrection of Star out there and the stands would have been half empty.

NOT true for everyone...I enjoyed 3 shows in June this year...to each his own.

From a dramatic standpoint, it's actually a little more loaded than that, John. It's "Why the f___ did you have to named Romeo?", signifying how much whe wishes he was named something else, like....em...I don't know. "Mitch", maybe. Or "Stan" - anything but "Romeo", a name she knows her family will reject.

Oh, yeah, on the G8 thing, IF Madison makes it in and doesn't want the gig. then the other 7 will likely say "ok - we're back to 7." Like the current Speaker of the House, anyone who thinks they're going to cover themselves in glory by standing in the middle of the road folding their arms will discover that their gravity only goes so far.

I like Mitch...........Mitch

There was always the charges routinely heard by long timers that there is " slotting " within the World Class Division. I usually dismisssed those charges. Never in my wildest dreams did I think however that they'd one day be a subdivision created within the World Class Division that was based on previous years results that would slot the Corps within the Division starting out for the following season. So, yes, this creation of a newly slotted subdivision is unprecedented in my opinion. At least to the extent that the slotting that is prearranged for an upcoming season is now open and public, anyway. The concept of a G7 ( later that become an G8 due to political maneuvering)was hatched behind closed doors. This is indisputable. But it was adopted for this year on trial basis by DCI. This does not make the slotting within the World Class Division any less oderous however, imo.

If this is not in your wildest dreams, you need a better imagination. This is not a huge stretch.

• Like 1

NOT true for everyone...I enjoyed 3 shows in June this year...to each his own.

Not everyone, obviously, but it definitely has an effect on audience sizes, especially when most TX fans know there will be big shows rolling through in July. If you're only going to make one show, do you hit a june show or a late july show?

I have no plans to see a G8 show this year.

me either,..........we are hosting a 14 corps show here in Erie on August 7th with everyone but the G8 (and Pioneer for some unknown reason),..............I am SO glad this show came our way, otherwise my butt and sponsorship $ would not be there,.........

I find the battle for 12-17 much more exciting this year. I have no plans to see a G8 show this year.

Well, I need my drum corps fix and the Houston show is the only choice I have. Besides, we're hosting SCV while they're here. :cool: