Top 12 Prediction Minn, MN July 16, 2011

When I look at the other three, I don't see any one program that really stands out, or that is bringing anything new to the table. Cavaliers are somewhat esoteric, gimmicky, and segmented. Cadets and BD are both very good, but don't strike me as having that something special, that makes a winner. Crown may just have the best total package this year. And, Crown was only .9 off the Cavaliers in Toledo, beating them in three captions. IMO, this is a four way race, with Crown having an excellent chance.

I respect everyones opinion on who/where the corps will be placed. BUT, its really getting old hearing that the Cavaliers are GIMMICKY and thats the reason there "scores are gonna MAXOUT" in july. Last time I looked their either winning or very close in the brass/music ensemble/percussion captions as well

Lets talk gimmicky:

Cavaliers: we apparently all know theirs, so ill continue

BD: Big boxes, posts, etc...moved around field, corps dancing

Cadets: guard uniform changes, the pole/fight section, angel v demon who wins?, even the two uniform colors can be considered a gimmick

Crown: entire pre-show, mosh pit, guard girl leap of faith, nearly every rifle toss that herbert does, yelling freebird at the ending push, drum major air guitar,flames on the drums,etc.... the entire crown show is gimmicky including their music.

ITS CALLED GENERAL EFFECT, love it or hate it its here to stay. But the people who think that its only the Cavaliers who use gimmicks are highly mistaken.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 3

I respect everyones opinion on who/where the corps will be placed. BUT, its really getting old hearing that the Cavaliers are GIMMICKY and thats the reason there "scores are gonna MAXOUT" in july. Last time I looked their either winning or very close in the brass/music ensemble/percussion captions as well

Lets talk gimmicky:

Cadets: guard uniform changes, the pole/fight section, angel v demon who wins?, even the two uniform colors can be considered a gimmick

Crown: entire pre-show, mosh pit, guard girl leap of faith, nearly every rifle toss that herbert does, yelling freebird at the ending push, drum major air guitar,flames on the drums,etc.... the entire crown show is gimmicky including their music.

ITS CALLED GENERAL EFFECT, love it or hate it its here to stay. But the people who think that its only the Cavaliers who use gimmicks are highly mistaken.

Do you think Boston silk sheet is a gimmicky.

Lets talk gimmicky:

Cadets don't have gimmicks. That was just a reach to try to compare. Gimmicks are things that youbdo just for crowd reaction like mosh pits and playing upside down. Props aren't gimmicks.

Cadets don't have gimmicks. That was just a reach to try to compare. Gimmicks are things that youbdo just for crowd reaction like mosh pits and playing upside down. Props aren't gimmicks.

lol

one person's "design elements" are another person's "gimmicks".

• Like 1

lol

good answer :thumbup:

The definition of gimmick is: something that grabs attention/ a new technique or device.

lol

:thumbup:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Edited by Roark1

I would define gimmick as an effect that does *not* clearly fit in the production design.

I *want* to call the Cavies upside playing a gimmick (because I don't really think it has much to do with the rest of the program). BUT with a design concept as broad as XtraordinarY, it's not difficult to put any gimmick in the design and make an argument it belongs :-)

And if the CROWD likes it; well that's what it should all be about anyway.