Academy's tour schedule

i don't get this animosity towards academy.

It's usually pretty simple....fans of rival corps. For instance, DCIfan90 is a Troopers honk. Back in 2007, when Academy made finals in San Antonio at the expense of Blue Stars and Spirit, the pitchfork brigade on DCP was led by a Spirit supporter.

Oh, and look....AlexL is a Blue Stars alum, from the year they did 30 shows in division II to prove to DCI they were ready for the world-class tour. I can certainly understand how that experience could shape someone's opinion on this issue.

• Like 5

When almost all the corps are at Minneapolis, most would consider it part of the 'full tour' , whether it is officially or not.

Sorry....but I don't recall you polling everyone to determine what "most" would think (if "most" would even care). Nevertheless, "most" would be mistaken if they thought that. DCI policy is determined by their BOD and member corps, not the mythical "most" people you refer to.

I think academy gets targeted a bit here because they were already halfway to minnesota by coming to denver when they turned around and headed home for 2 weeks.

So they make an extra trip to Denver (which they didn't do in any of their previous four years in world-class), and get demonized for traveling more? ###### if they do, ###### if they don't.

• Like 4

Just seems kind of random to bring it up in the 9th year of their existence....

It's actually their 10 year anniversary as an organization! Anyways, the Academy are going to do what's best for them. They are not trying to pioneer their way to new philosophy that everyone in DCI will adopt. They do what they have to. They have a killer show this year though, I hope they make the top 12.

• Like 3

It's actually their 10 year anniversary as an organization! Anyways, the Academy are going to do what's best for them. They are not trying to pioneer their way to new philosophy that everyone in DCI will adopt. They do what they have to. They have a killer show this year though, I hope they make the top 12.

Thank you. Wasn't sure if they were started in 02 or 03. I really hope that they make the Top 12, I've been hoping that since 07, I still think they were a bit robbed there.... but that's just me. If their touring model works for them, more power to them. If they want to change it to give them more shows and exposure, they can do that too. No one is going to stop them from doing what they do to be successful.

Go Academy! :thumbup:

• Like 4

It's usually pretty simple....fans of rival corps. For instance, DCIfan90 is a Troopers honk. Back in 2007, when Academy made finals in San Antonio at the expense of Blue Stars and Spirit, the pitchfork brigade on DCP was led by a Spirit supporter.

Oh, and look....AlexL is a Blue Stars alum, from the year they did 30 shows in division II to prove to DCI they were ready for the world-class tour. I can certainly understand how that experience could shape someone's opinion on this issue.

that makes some sense.

i don't see people attacking jersey surf so much...just an observation.

• Like 3

There are a lot of people who really need to apply as Academy's tour manager next season! Man, if only they'd listen to YOU! Then they'd be a big boy corps just like all the other World Class corps, right?

Put your money, your time, or your resources where your mouth is or shut up. Seriously.

Are some of you really dumb enough to think Academy doesn't know how they're tour schedule affects them competitively? I mean really think about that one.

They are a country club drum corps; that's the fact of the matter. They get crap from other corps periodically for not doing the full World Class tour. In 2007, there was a bit of animosity because the corps was treating World Class like Open Class. But you know what? So. What. Some of y'all need to get over the marching days and see the grander scheme. Kids LOVE Academy. They STAY at Academy.

Maybe you want Academy to be a big-boy corps just like 27th Lancers, the Bridgemen, and the Kingsmen. In which case, yes. Academy should totally take your awesome advice and run a tour outside of their projected means. And yes, I went there.

• Like 5

To the poster with the "Big Boy Corps" comment, what is a Big Boy Corps? To the others that seem to think Top 12 is the only obvious goal a Drumcorps should have, please know that many corps DO NOT have that as a goal. Is it so hard to beleive that a corps can stay in existence for 5-10-20-50 years and not make the Top 12 of World Class? There must be some other thinking goining on here.....

Also, many corps have been very successfull on Open Class. But you don't get paid in Open, you get paid in World. I think there are several corps that made the jump to World Class so they get paid for what they do. This is the current DCI model, the corps are working within the system. If you don't like it please continue to complain on DCP or write a letter to DCI.

In several years of following drumcorps I've done a turn-around on how I feel about corps operate. When I was younger I was only interested in the Top 6. I get it when I see people posting about full tours and winning finals and having 20 brand new contras and a high priced staff. But after marching some years and teaching a few, I kinda have a different point of view. Although I do really appreciate the quality of show that a "G8" corps puts on, I staunchly disagree with million dollar budgets and greedy top corps wanting it all for themselves. Bravo to the Academies, Surfs, Pioneers etc of DCI. Stay in World Class and keep doing what you do.....and thank you!

• Like 3

To the poster with the "Big Boy Corps" comment, what is a Big Boy Corps? To the others that seem to think Top 12 is the only obvious goal a Drumcorps should have, please know that many corps DO NOT have that as a goal. Is it so hard to beleive that a corps can stay in existence for 5-10-20-50 years and not make the Top 12 of World Class? There must be some other thinking goining on here.....

Also, many corps have been very successfull on Open Class. But you don't get paid in Open, you get paid in World. I think there are several corps that made the jump to World Class so they get paid for what they do. This is the current DCI model, the corps are working within the system. If you don't like it please continue to complain on DCP or write a letter to DCI.

In several years of following drumcorps I've done a turn-around on how I feel about corps operate. When I was younger I was only interested in the Top 6. I get it when I see people posting about full tours and winning finals and having 20 brand new contras and a high priced staff. But after marching some years and teaching a few, I kinda have a different point of view. Although I do really appreciate the quality of show that a "G8" corps puts on, I staunchly disagree with million dollar budgets and greedy top corps wanting it all for themselves. Bravo to the Academies, Surfs, Pioneers etc of DCI. Stay in World Class and keep doing what you do.....and thank you!

My apologies. I accidentally hit that red minus rating button (iPad to small, fingers to fat!).

• Like 1