Changed Perceptions after the Minneapolis Regional

I think this type of draw makes for a more interesting show dynamic. If I'm a fan of a corps who got the bad end of the draw (Cavaliers), it's easy for me to think, "Cavaliers should be least because they earned it." But if I'm a Crown fan, I'm thinking that going on last just might be the edge that helps them either close the gap or flat out win the show.

Either way, it's likely the best performance will win, and there's nothing too radical about the random draw (i.e. Cavaliers aren't sitting 6th from the end).

I guess it would be super crazy if they did a random draw for the entire lineup....lol

I think this type of draw makes for a more interesting show dynamic. If I'm a fan of a corps who got the bad end of the draw (Cavaliers), it's easy for me to think, "Cavaliers should be least because they earned it." But if I'm a Crown fan, I'm thinking that going on last just might be the edge that helps them either close the gap or flat out win the show.

Either way, it's likely the best performance will win, and there's nothing too radical about the random draw (i.e. Cavaliers aren't sitting 6th from the end).

I agree 10,000%. People always complain about slotting on here, but when we have a performance order that is jumbled up to help combat judges from slotting then people wig out... or at least they wig out when the order does not favor their corps.

Also, people complain about people not judging the corps, but the name of the corps. However, when we have a corps that gets first in some captions and 5th or 6th in others they complain about judges being all over the place.

Finally, we have folks complain about judges "reading recaps," but if a judge doesn't read a recap and gives the same score or a lower score than that corps got the night before (even if they had a bad night), then people freak out.

I have worked, and judged with a lot of folks that are currently judging in the activity. Most (not all, but most) of them are very capable teachers or designers, and adjudicators. Are there some that are better than others? Absolutely. Are there folks that are great in one caption (field performance), but bad in other captions (ensemble or effect)? You better believe it. The easy thing to do is to blame the judges. To call them stupid, or corrupt, or whatever, but I can tell you that most of them are solid and blaming them every time you don't agree (or lack the perspective) is the easy way out. Unless you were on the field, or in the box, AND are familiar with the sheets (which at least 90% of the folks who post on here are not) then you really don't have the perspective that they have.

Anyways, I am a huge fan of random draws. It helps give corps a better chance at moving around from night to night, and in the end, that is good for the audience and the corps.

• Like 2

My biggest change of perception from seeing the corps at Minneapolis: before Saturday I thought this was a pretty good year for drum corps. I was thinking there were several entertaining shows as well as many technically marvelous shows. After watching the Fan Network webcast last night, I'm changing my opinion: this is a GREAT year of drum corps! For the first time maybe ever for me as a fan (I've been following drum corps since 1990) that there are more corps/shows that I like than shows I dislike. I can't remember when I was ever this excited about a season: not just who wins, not just who makes Finals. I'm excited to see how the shows develop, how well they're cleaned, etc.

This is going to be a great finish to an extraordinary season!!

• Like 2

I really like the music Carolina Crown uses, my generation thing, I’ve never seen a show done quite like that. Blue Devils in ’02 did the same for me using jazz. Brasso, you use cheesy a lot regarding Crown, what do you mean? I want to see and understand what you all do.

I found a whole thread about what being cheesy is...I understand. Sorry about highlighting I haven't figured out how you can take one section and answer.

I guess it would be super crazy if they did a random draw for the entire lineup....lol

Super crazy...and much more in the spirit of true competition! (Of course, I think the NCAA out to be rawn instead of seeded too!)

I thought the Crossmen show made some good visual changes., What else needs to be done? I hope the horn line starts putting out some more sound towards the end and get a little better intonation overall. Any thoughts?

I have worked, and judged with a lot of folks that are currently judging in the activity. Most (not all, but most) of them are very capable teachers or designers, and adjudicators. Are there some that are better than others? Absolutely. Are there folks that are great in one caption (field performance), but bad in other captions (ensemble or effect)? You better believe it. The easy thing to do is to blame the judges. To call them stupid, or corrupt, or whatever, but I can tell you that most of them are solid and blaming them every time you don't agree (or lack the perspective) is the easy way out. Unless you were on the field, or in the box, AND are familiar with the sheets (which at least 90% of the folks who post on here are not) then you really don't have the perspective that they have.

Drives me nuts, too. If you haven't walked the judges' walk, don't make assumptions. I have mixed feelings about random draws. Most of the time I don't find it to be a huge problem, but if you get to DCI semis, for example and have a "bubble" corps going on after the #1 group while the other "bubblers" went on later after weaker groups than they...it can have a bad effect. As a judge, you'd like to think you can maintain discipline numberwise, but it's hard to make a close comparison between two groups spaced three hours apart (and with vastly different levels of corps preceding them). Seeding (better name than "slotting") can be useful, but only in controlled circumstances.

• Like 1

I thought the Crossmen show made some good visual changes., What else needs to be done? I hope the horn line starts putting out some more sound towards the end and get a little better intonation overall. Any thoughts?

Well they got 12th in GE Visual which was surprising. While the music in the show is AMAZING the marching needs some work. Backmarching in Ballad is very dirty but I cant blame them. Besides that, the drill doesnt seem to be difficult except for the very end. Im hoping they can pull something amazing by San Antonio.