Changed Perceptions after the Minneapolis Regional

You mean the rabid, disgruntled and bitter Blue Star fans/aka poor sports?

Scouts cant win with some people.

In context of the subject matter of their show, the drill design is completely appropriate. As for some folks talking about scatter drills, I counted 8 out of the top 12 with significant aleatoric time. To try and criticize Scouts for doing what literally every contender is, perhaps notably except Cavies is simply ridiculous. What they seem to be getting no credit for is a show that communicates better than most if not all of the top twelve. Whoever thinks they are dirty is also likely looking at them with another agenda.

• Like 1

So, I was checking out recaps, and looking at Phantom, SCV, and Bluecoats. And I saw a few interesting things in there, that lead me to believe the fight between 5-7 is far from over. Phantom was 11th in Visual Components, and Bluecoats were 7th overall in visual, with SCV taking 5th. But from a visual standpoint, I think the most telling numbers are the Vocab versus Excellence numbers. Phantom is sitting at an 8.20 to an 8.10 (VvE), Bluecoats were at an 8.40 to an 8.00, and SCV was at an 8.30 to an 7.90. Does this mean that Phantom is currently performing their visual package at it's peak, and can't improve anymore on it? And do Bluecoats and SCV have lots of room to grow and move up?

Don't get me wrong here, I like Phantom's show from a musical point, I just feel like they could be doing more visually, they're in the same boat as Madison I think, where the visual package is secondary to the music and crowd connection, when they should be equal. Just my read, I'm just afraid we'll see corps peaking early in case they start putting in changes to increase the rep numbers.

Maybe calling other fans "poor sports" isn't helping. It's great to see Madison being successful and crowd-friendly, but shouldn't being humble in victory come first? I've always seen Madison as a very classy organization, but I've seen some alums on here that are kind of going against that.

I honestly don't think there is enough there visually to push their score up, it's a bit slow for my liking, but you'll never hear me complain about the music, am I right? :thumbup:

But I guess I'd just like to see less of fans and alums rubbing other people's noses in beating them. I'm just idealistic, but I think DCI is about creating better people and musicians.

• Like 3

I'm still trying to figure out why people like the Scouts so much this year. I've always liked Madison to a point, but in my opinion this isn't really a show that I'll want to remember. Maybe it's because I heard so much hype about them this year before I even saw them. Empire State of Mind works really well for them, but I don't think it works as a closer. I find myself wishing that they would have used it as their ballad and gone with something a little more Closer-ish (up-tempo, more exciting drill). A lot of people keep saying "Madison has the most entertaining show this year, they're the fan favorite" but I don't think that's really true. I think come finals when everything's clean, Cavies, BD, Cadets, and Crown will be getting just as much crowd appreciation.

• Like 3

Maybe calling other fans "poor sports" isn't helping. It's great to see Madison being successful and crowd-friendly, but shouldn't being humble in victory come first? I've always seen Madison as a very classy organization, but I've seen some alums on here that are kind of going against that.

I honestly don't think there is enough there visually to push their score up, it's a bit slow for my liking, but you'll never hear me complain about the music, am I right? :thumbup:

But I guess I'd just like to see less of fans and alums rubbing other people's noses in beating them. I'm just idealistic, but I think DCI is about creating better people and musicians.

? I guess I don't get this. Can you help me out here?

? I guess I don't get this. Can you help me out here?

BUMP. Great show in MINN. It did not SUCK. If all you do is watch the fan network, and never see all these kids... Live. You for sure are missing out. The biggest surprise for me this weekend was... The Phantom Regiment. Wow, what a show. I was blown away, by everyone, what a night. To all you kids on the field, keep up the good work. This fan of Drum and Bugle Corps loved it. Can't wait to see it agian. Thanks for a great couple of weekends.

I think I would rather be going to TX, than going to work. Back to reality, can you say in 3 weeks it will be finals week!

Edited by thirdcoast

You mean the rabid, disgruntled and bitter Blue Star fans/aka poor sports?

In context of the subject matter of their show, the drill design is completely appropriate. As for some folks talking about scatter drills, I counted 8 out of the top 12 with significant aleatoric time. To try and criticize Scouts for doing what literally every contender is, perhaps notably except Cavies is simply ridiculous. What they seem to be getting no credit for is a show that communicates better than most if not all of the top twelve. Whoever thinks they are dirty is also likely looking at them with another agenda.

Rabid and disgruntled, huh. Maybe a little, after you sent me that nasty private message a couple weeks ago, stevedb, which you never replied to my answer.

I'm not disgruntled, I simply said the Scouts have a good show, but not good enough to compete with the top 4, like some of you had indeed said, and I think that has pretty much been written in stone by now.

However, I give the Scouts this much - on the drive from Minneapolis to Rockford the night before, I found myself whistling that simple catchy tune from their opener. :thumbup:

BTW, does anyone happen to know what key that melody is in?

Honestly, I am glad that there are some corps doing fun music that is catchy and easy to remember.

Oh - and BTW - the Scouts are dirty. Get over it. Every corps at this point is still dirty, that is why none of them are scoring 95 pts yet.

And fsubone - you say that the Scouts really can't do much about their visual to bump up their score much - I agree, to a point - if they decide to write a real closer, watch out. The rest of the drill is pretty good, but they do do a lot of scatter drill - something I've not ever been much a fan of. How can scatter drill be judged???

Edited by BoyWonder1911

All - Stop it and grow up! That which unites us is greater than that which divides us. We all share a love for drum corps, period. We all look bad engaging in this back and forth sniping at each other.

• Like 1

I myself wonder about this portion of the show, beautiful song and solo, nice low brass support, not so sure the silk gets the visual impact needed. Could be losing some needed visual moments.

The sheet had visual impact at the Middleton show - but there are only 20 rows in the stadium so the audience was pretty much looking straight at the sheet - you could see the outline of the dancers. In MN, when we were seated much higher and looking down on the field rather than straight ahead - the impact was lost - it just looked like heads bopping around - the shadow impact of the dance was gone.