Why is this happening

Madison's closer is weak? Sheesh.

From a drill standpoint, absolutely.And when the visual is as easy as it is, it diminishes what they're doing musically (no simultaneous demand).

Which is to say, weak in what scores well, though not necessarily weak in artistic or emotional content. Simpler can be better. This is where the "sport" aspect of drum corps collides with the "art" aspect. Sometimes standing still is more effective, though obviously less challenging, than moving.

That said, the requirements are what they are, and no surprise to any corps.

Can we please get the title right...I know the composer. It is "Come TO Jesus"...in whole notes.

You are right, and I apologize! (And I should know better!)

and to rip something from the old RAMD days:

PIP !

• Like 1

You are right, my error. There was a point where Madison was ranked higher than Bluecoats, but they had not gone head to head.

I totally got what you meant. I assumed you knew they had not beaten Blooo, but you're right, at one point their rankings were high and they do seemed to have peaked.

I know I am getting slammed in here for calling the closer somewhat weak, but trust me, I love Madison's show this year and I always appreciate the MadMen for what they bring to the activity. They do it right!! And keep in mind, I am going off one live read and some Fan Network. So who knows, I could be wrong (and most will say I am). :-)

But like I said, their opener is the best in DCI this year! Flat out amazing! To me the closer just needs some work. If they tweak a few things and clean, then who knows. They can be a dangerous corps come late season.

I know I am getting slammed in here for calling the closer somewhat weak, but trust me, I love Madison's show this year

I believe you: after all, it was only a month ago that you said, based on a FN viewing, that Madison might rank as high as fifth this season.

I wish everyone would take a step back and really look at what has happened with the scores this year. For the first time that I have seen, judges are scoring based on individual shows, not based on the seasons results up to this point. Caption scores are obviously indicating that any personal bias towards a certain corps are, at least for the time being, a thing of the past.

I'm frustrated because for years this is what the fans wanted. Each and every night, it is anyones show to win or lose. Granted, at this point in the season we have a pretty good idea of which shows are in the running come August. If you are on this thread, complaining that corps X should be 8th across the board in every caption because of a prior show, then my opinion is that your opinion holds no value (i.e. sucks). Set aside your personal bias, and enjoy the uncertainty of each night. If your corps performs beyond the judges expectation, I believe the recaps will reflect it. Likewise, if they were no better than the any of the corps prior, they should be placed accordingly.

I have also started noticing a couple of sub-caption "ties" this year. I don't remember if this has been going on in the past and I just haven't noticed it. I was getting a little tired of the "place corps X lower than you wanted because there were still 15 corps to go on" approach. If the Colts come out and give a perfect brass performance, give 'em a 10. If the Devils do the same, give 'em a 10......nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Well said man.... I want my corps to climb the ladder of placement but Im truly enjoying the roller coaster ride each and every show! This is true honest to God the best team wins each night Drum Corps!

Edited by wesleyrp

I wish everyone would take a step back and really look at what has happened with the scores this year. For the first time that I have seen, judges are scoring based on individual shows, not based on the seasons results up to this point. Caption scores are obviously indicating that any personal bias towards a certain corps are, at least for the time being, a thing of the past.

I'm frustrated because for years this is what the fans wanted. Each and every night, it is anyones show to win or lose. Granted, at this point in the season we have a pretty good idea of which shows are in the running come August. If you are on this thread, complaining that corps X should be 8th across the board in every caption because of a prior show, then my opinion is that your opinion holds no value (i.e. sucks). Set aside your personal bias, and enjoy the uncertainty of each night. If your corps performs beyond the judges expectation, I believe the recaps will reflect it. Likewise, if they were no better than the any of the corps prior, they should be placed accordingly.

I have also started noticing a couple of sub-caption "ties" this year. I don't remember if this has been going on in the past and I just haven't noticed it. I was getting a little tired of the "place corps X lower than you wanted because there were still 15 corps to go on" approach. If the Colts come out and give a perfect brass performance, give 'em a 10. If the Devils do the same, give 'em a 10......nothing wrong with that.

+1 from me...but I'm not sure if everyone will agree...

• Like 1

For the second time this season, Madison has magically and overnight dropped below several corps. Earlier this season, Madison was in around 5th or 6th place beating Bluecoats by 3 points. So now Madison was in a battle for 6-9 Then, in Madison, all of a sudden Bluecoats are beating them by two full points. ................

1) at which show did Madison beat bluecoats by 3 points? I think I missed that one

were they getting higher scores at different shows? Yes-- big difference between that and this happening witht he same judging panel

2) You'll notice the point at which they started dropping coincided with the addition of the full judging panel... and I'm not trying to be a jerk or be down on Madison-- Im really really not- .. I have my ideas why that is-- but due to their lack of popularity I wont flesh them out all the way- (regarding different corps having a higher.. or lower.. degree of individual execution-- you add on-field judges- that's going to hurt some corps [the ones with a lower level of individual execution] and help others.. just think about it)--- has to do with the details.

• Like 1

1) at which show did Madison beat bluecoats by 3 points? I think I missed that one

Thatd be none.

madisonbluecoats.png

• Like 1