I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

I do like BD's show this year. It's a little disjointed, but it's still fairly linear, easy to follow and has some wonderful horn melodies (and harmonies) in there.

If anything, I would respect them *more* for winning this year than in the last two because they had to climb their way up to it. And I certainly like this show more then '09 and '10. So... yeah, I'm cool with them currently on top.

Mike

Yes, but what if one's genuine opinion of the Blue Devils (or other corps) is "Yes, they are great, except for aspect X, Y, and/or Z which I dislike?" It sounds to me like you're going to read any such comment as phony, no matter how sincerely it may be intended.

Then please describe the other aspects in the show you do not like... If it REALLY is because THEY DON'T MARCH... The say it out loud and clearly but careful attention should be paid to the backhanded compliment post, to be sure it is not just that... I would probably be as specific in what I didn't like as in what I did... So using the word "Design" with no specific grounding statement may be too broad or using the term easy may not work well either.... Now saying that "the way they were running around the 3D objects in a follow the leader fashion which IMO is easy," would be closer to appropriate. (Although I challenge you to keep your perfect interval jazz running at 200 BPM!)And in all frankness if you havn't marched in ten years or more... NONE OF THIS IS EASY OR EVEN POSSIBLE FOR YOU ANYMORE, EXCEPT IN A DCA CORPS and I have done that, it is much easier than this!

I'll be honest. I don't even have a good reason. But, I don't hate on them and respect what they do. I clap for them and stand as well because they're kids busting their busts just like I was.

LOL it is programming from the mother ship! In the late 70's and early 80's the rivalry was at it's biggest between Phantom and BD. In 1981 we lost to them once. It was in Rockford of all places... That didn't sit well with us back at the time and I am sure that BD members of my time helped perpetuate the rivalry and disdain for many years to come.

So you're saying it's "Seinfeld"? Sorry, had to make the joke. If it is, I should like it then. :tongue:

I thought the title and everything else came from Bacarach's music? You know, "A House is Not a Home", and isn't "The Beat My Heart Skipped" either another song, or a lyric from one?

I know there is a "rap" song by that name by Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, but I don't know how or if it has any connection to the show other than sharing the same title.

I read through the lyrics and wonder if the chorus somehow vaguely relates to BDs departure from the musical direction they took the past few years, although I personally doubt it. Probable an exercise in total over-analysis, but for a moment there it brought back college days and sitting around trying to find obscure meanings in Bob Dylan songs! :w00t:

I answered you in Post #68 of this thread, here it is again:

Sorry about that. I was trying to read replies in this thread, but I must have missed yours.

Well...I will try. Simply stated....it's a show about "nothing"!

Sounds like Seinfeld. (Not my favorite comedy.)

I dare you to tell me what Cavies show is about this year.....see, not so easy?

I'm not necessarily looking for a story. And I completely get XtraordinarY. There are lots of X's and Y's. There are guys on stilts. There are people playing upside down. There are people moving faster than you expect them to do so. There are fast notes and difficult sets. There are kaleidoscopes. In other words, there are as many "XtraordinarY" things as they can think to do. (And the XY chromosome connection to an all-male corps isn't lost on me, either.)

There isn't a story, but there is a theme, and there are clear references to the theme throughout the show. And that gives me something to look for along the way. Just another way to keep the audience interested. (For similar thematic connections from the Cavies, see Frame Works, Spin Cycle, and Machine. Or see BD Gangsta Chronicles, Rhythms at the Edge of Time, and Through a Glass Darkly.)

Now back to your question on BD11. In short (in my view) the "take away" is that a house is only a structure until the things that make it a home are present....in this case...love, need, affection (and by extension...the people in it!). The visual staging of the guard and the separation of the house components as 3D set pieces, play with this separation throughout the show accompanied roughly by the song selections (house in not a home, one less bell to answer, walk on by, say a little prayer for me, wives and lovers). The asterics and square poles have some utility to the theme (openings, staircases, fences, etc) but they are largely "visual playthings" in typical BD/Cirque style (remembering what I said above about "objects use"). The BD designers love to extend the field visually and make the objects into additional MMs moving in and around them (square poles, chairs, mirrors). And I might add that these things "don't get out of the way" if you occupy their space . Plus doing tosses on them or near them is #### hard, there's often no room for adjustment, it must be spot on...very exposed (particularly on a chair...check it out from BD09).

I still don't see what this has to do with a heart skipping a beat. And I find the connection you've made from prop to music tenuous at best. Still, I'm glad you see something there. Maybe you're just more creative than I am. :-)

So I suggest that you simply sit back and watch the eye candy flow across your visual... accompanied by some of the most beautiful melodies of modern times. I hope this helps.

I wish I could, but I'm very picky about abstract art. I like some of it, but I don't like a lot of it. This felt like a lot of abstract without enough context to make it work.

I really appreciate you trying to help me figure it out, though. I'll definitely go back to FN and watch it again with your explanation in mind.

If anyone else has further clarifications, I would love to hear them.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a domination

I would say that the Cavaliers had a tiny bit more success and they have dominated the era of 2000-2010 because of their championships during that time.

I think most people have problem with BD's success because it doesn't fit in to their idea or standard of 1st place.

The Blue Devils are very talented in the area of music but I believe they lack a lot in the drill design and marching area. Some say that they do not challenge themselves by playing difficult music or marching in a higher degree as other corps(park and blow, etc.)

I don't agree with this, but I do believe that recent and not all Blue Devil shows have been about appealing directly to the numbers and the judges. Sure this is smart and intelligent way to be successful, but it doesn't really appeal to the fans. By putting out shows that only appeal to judges, creativity and the excitement aspect of the show is often sacrificed. That is why most fans find BD's shows to be "boring" or not as exciting as the shows that other corps put out.

I would say that BD has been dominate over the last 4 years, but if you consider they have won 14 times over the past 35 years and have never been out of the tope 5 during that span, they have clearly been the most successful competitive corps. I would disagree with your statement that "most fans" find BD's shows to be boring. Many fans on the west coast love BD's style and give them much love. There was very little BD bashing going on on DCP this year when the corps was sitting in 4th place. In fact, there was more love than I had seen in a long time for BD's show, but as soon as they start beating the Cavies and Cadets all hell breaks loose. I watched all 4 top corps in Atlanta and I have to say Cadets and Cavies have a lot of park and blow in their shows. When they are running around they are usually not playing. I enjoy BD's more laid back style. I find Cadets drill in general to look sloppy an un-original, that is just my personal taste.

All this BD bashing just seems to me like sour grapes. It will bring me much joy watching BD win their 15th title with a show I frankly think is close to brilliance.

Edited by jmc5682

'I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...'

Me too! i'm a guard girl from way back, ahem BITD; it's all about the music and how you moved when it moves you imo :-)

edit: I heard BD loud and clear live in 76. While viewing 2011 FN; clean, clear and crisp were my notes after San Antonio imo :-)

and definitely hummable to me :bigsmile:

Edited by lindap
  • Like 1

I think most people just want BD to be more entertaining. Obviously they are super talented, and I don't think many people would argue that they don't have the best staff in DCI.

personally, I like BD's show this year better than last year.

gladiator+pic.jpg

"Are you not entertained?!?!?!"

that'd be my guess. I like them more this year too

Meh...they could redo the 86 show note for note with lots of modern drill and they'd still get slammed for winning...

no way in hell if the backsticking is clean. I'd throw babies