When Will It Happen?

Ok so Minnesota Brass, Inc takes two trips out east every season. I get that they do this because it benefits them in scores and getting a good first read BUT... Im sure it also helps the east coast show with ticket sales because there is a corps that the fans dont get to see during the regular season. I know Empire was to go to Cali but the plans fell through.

When will an east coast corps (or more than 1) head west for a midwest (or even south for that matter) show and "give" back? I understand that its a HUGE financial deal but what if say... Bucs and Empire plan a trip in the same year to go to one of the Kilties Wisconsin shows? A lineup with Bucs, MBI, Empire, Govies, Kilties, Cincy and any other corps would be fantastic!

p.s. What is MBI doing right to be able to afford such trips when other corps have short seasons or are folding?

Empire was planning to go to the West coast (was it last season or the year before), but finances got in the way.

For everyone, it's going to be more a financial decision than anything else. You'll notice that Renegades go every year, but SoCal Dream has not...we were gonna go in 05, but the repair costs to the equipment truck after it threw a rod on the way home from 04 killed that.

One would have to wonder if the Amercian Legion stiil ran a National in there convention city how many corps would they get today? I think that's why Scranton bought the rights to that show and ran it with the DCA championship.

The simple answer is cost. You have Cabs,Sun,Fusion,Empire,Hurcs,WhiteSabers,Sky,Bucs,and 3 or 4 others in a 400 mile radius, then, :cool: all the other corps are scattered all over the US, Cananda, England, Japan etc. When you have to travel further than a 1 day bus trip your cost goes way up. Next year when they all have to pay more to go to Annapolis, and way more for housing, the crowd will thin even more especially in 2013 after the bills come in for 2012 and people find out that the fun stops at 11PM and the sidewalks roll up in MD. It costs a lot to move 130 + people the distances we are asking people to go these days with fuel, housing, food, etc. The Corps that do must have some great fundraisers. I wish them all good luck, hell the Legion hardly has a parade at State or National Conventions any more because people will not pay for the music etc. :cool:

Edited by bariman50

To the first part of your question. T There have been some corps come south sparatically but nothing wide spread. As indicated on here ad nauseum you will not see the NE corps doing any wide spread traveling until it benefits them in some form or fashion. Rather it be a competitive advantage or financial advantage. As one poster recently put it. Put up the money or shut the freak up about it.

p.s. What is MBI doing right to be able to afford such trips when other corps have short seasons or are folding?

I think one thing they are doing right is giving their membership base a positive marching experience so they come back year after year and maintain numbers.

Ive seen so many corps over the years lose site of having fun.... getting caught up in scores and placements that they get disappointed and lose focus on having fun and giving the membership a positive experience. When this happens membership declines, competitive nature declines and most importantly funds decline. This cannot happen in today's economy.

When the time is right. Look times are tough, why are people so gung ho to make things potentially worse?

Remember DCI in the 70s when you had to travel? Corps died trying to keep up. Yes there was some bad management too, but when it kept getting more expensive, it scared off kids, adults and corps died.

Why force that on DCA?

One would have to wonder if the Amercian Legion stiil ran a National in there convention city how many corps would they get today? I think that's why Scranton bought the rights to that show and ran it with the DCA championship.

Bought the rights? no cash changed hands... that was the RESPECT Dr. Sebastianelli had from both the legion and the corps. As I understand it, and this came from Doc, when he approached the Legion Officials in Indianapolis about it, they simply said - as long as you're running it - go for it... I'm not sure everyone realizes the influence Dr. Almo Sebastianelli had nationally.

and yes, back in the day, things were much different. Legions had money and helped pay the corps travel expenses... and travel expenses were not the huge percentage of the GNP they are today.

The plane that carried Rochester Grey Knight Post Crusaders and about 200 people - we brought a lot of friends and family with us - to the Legion Nationals in Portland, Oregon round trip in 1965 cost exactly $25000 as I recall... That's about $125 roundtrip a head... wouldn't Renegades kill to pay that?

Now, travel cost (and everything else) is ridiculous and Legions are broke and/or dieing. Sad but true.

• Like 1

Tom, your comment about Legions financial condition is most sad, indeed. I have fond memories of the great support we received from our local VFW and Legion posts when I first marched in the 70s. Honestly, it really helped shape my values at that time of life. As a country, we are really missing that.

Up through (and including) 2007 The Kilties always made a point of traveling East at least one time over and above traveling to the championships. Being historically frugel and cautious with our funds anyway, but now coupled with the economy being a little tattered, we have simply chosen to limit our travel of late to within the Midwest (which is no small region in itself) and the championship.

It is always the unexpected expenses that jump up and bite one in the arse. Last season we had both our equipment truck and souvie van break down on the way back from the championship; losing the van completely and having to purchase another for the 2011 season and paying one chunk of change for the truck repair. It's a crap shot sometimes; then tack on 5 grand per bus charge...well, that ain't chump change.

One thing hasn't changed.....as usual we've been real busy with full field show performances since mid June; just within the Midwest.

• Like 1

Next year when they all have to pay more to go to Annapolis, and way more for housing, the crowd will thin even more especially in 2013 after the bills come in for 2012 and people find out that the fun stops at 11PM and the sidewalks roll up in MD.

That assessment is a little harsh, IMO. And not completely accurate.

Right off the bat: Anyone flying in for the Annapolis weekend more than likely will have an easier time finding direct... and, on average, less expensive... flights into Baltimore's BWI Airport, since it's a major airport (with the nation's leading low-cost airlines as major players there) compared to the one in Rochester, or Scranton, or Syracuse, or anywhere else DCA has been in recent years.

I also gotta figure, the DCA South corps are going to find it less costly to get to Annapolis than to Rochester. I don't know that for sure, but it's an educated guess based on the distance they will need to travel.

Will the "fun"... as in "hanging out in the parking lot fun" end at 11 PM? Probably. But what's the big deal about that? Continue the "fun" back at your hotel... like corps and fans have done at pretty much every DCA championship.

• Like 2