Prelims!

I think BD has a couple of big problems. For one, they gave the show a title that has virtually nothing to do with the music or the visuals. Secondly, the props completely distract from any great things they're doing. I found myself watching them move props more than I was paying attention to their marching and playing.

I will say that I like the show more now than I did before, but at best, it's a "meh" instead of the "what the #$*^%^ was that?" (which was my first reaction)

Oh I like the title this year. But true, I have no idea what the connection to Bacharach is, and google hasn't helped -- has actually just brought me back to BD (who've made it onto the Bacharach wiki page, incidentally; that's cute).

I think at this point we have to concede that we're supposed to be watching the props sometimes -- they seem to be among what the staff considers to be the "great things they're doing." Jury's out, for me... They might be distracting, but I don't think they're meant to be distractions, in the sense that I don't think they're meant to be secondary. Sometimes it seems like they're the main event, visually. I'm okay with that in theory (and in moderation) but think its a tough sell in practice. I haven't decided whether I find this year's visual program convincing.

But I'm not sold on anyone's visual program this year, actually. I suspect I'm alone on that one.

I think BD has a couple of big problems. For one, they gave the show a title that has virtually nothing to do with the music or the visuals. Secondly, the props completely distract from any great things they're doing. I found myself watching them move props more than I was paying attention to their marching and playing.

Despite being a BD honk of sorts, I have to agree with your comment about the props this year. I think I posted from the Stockton show, or shortly thereafter, that I felt they had "jumped the shark" this time and over- estimated their visual effect. Unlike the mirrors which the members could interact with ("are there two corps out there? Where did the corps go? Etc.) or the chairs which they continually played hide and seek with, this years props seem too static most of the time, and the corps interaction with them is just less interesting than in their past shows. I mean I understand the artistic connection to the show and why they may have chosen to go this route, but I think they mis-calculated. In the end, this could prove to be their downfall this season, which for me would be a disappointment as they also seem to be returning more to the smooth, sophisticated brass sound that I have always loved and associated with BD.

As for the title, I don't see a problem there. Just a twist on the phrase, "my heart skipped a beat", a typical type lyric for songs of the Bacharach era. I don't think it was meant to have any deep meaning, or to be a "steering point" for a theme.

• Like 1

People in my theater were classy and appreciative of every single corps. There were about 100 people and I did not hear a single "boo" or rude comment the entire evening.

I don't know how many PhD's there were but I'm pretty sure most had graduated from junior high school.

• Like 2

I will say that I like the show more now than I did before, but at best, it's a "meh" instead of the "what the #$*^%^ was that?" (which was my first reaction)

For all those interested, I wrote a short analysis of BD's show concept last night. If you're struggling to find the connection between Burt Bacharach, the props and the title, it might help you out a bit. If you disagree or dislike it, please still be kind. It's on my personal blog... and I'm kinda scared to throw it out there to DCP.

:peek:

The Beat My Heart Skipped

• Like 1

For all those interested, I wrote a short analysis of BD's show concept last night. If you're struggling to find the connection between Burt Bacharach, the props and the title, it might help you out a bit. If you disagree or dislike it, please still be kind. It's on my personal blog... and I'm kinda scared to throw it out there to DCP.

tl;dr - I clicked the link and instantly decided I'd rather just watch the show and draw my own conclusions lol. Although, I'm sure it was very well written.

I thought the production sound in the theatres (at least the one in Concord Mills NC) was the best ever to date. The only slight change would be not to count so heavily on the electronics. Just a touch too much (I could especially notice the low synthesizer notes. Visually, the change the camera focus simply doesn't work in HD. Completely enjoyed the cinecast. Debating over whether to pony up for the live stream Friday. It can't match tonight's quality.

Yes, the crowd was heavily Crown (as it should be, considering the location). But Blue Knight edging Madison got more buzz than Phantom's ending. Congratulations, your the new PR drum major. That's the good news...the bad? Well, you won't be conducting the ENTIRE season.

Fresno theater was not anti BD :tongue:

I was actually surprised when the Cadets came on- there was a nice cheer BEFORE they went on. Biggest cheers were for Madison and CC.

• Like 1

I think you have written a very plausible analysis.

I hadn't seen a connection to the film (although I knew of it, I have never seen it), but your explanation makes sense to me.

You write well. Nice job.

Only was able to make it to the theatre for the last eight corps, but here are my reactions:

Boston: The arranger is nuts to say that Les Mis didn't have enough material. The show has a lot of energy, and the visual package is just amazing. The only moment when the visuals feel a little dulled is at the very end of the closer, which is weird because that's clearly some manic drill. Now the "Bring Him Home" part was just too gorgeous for words. I had tears streaming down my face. That solo alone was worth the price of admission.

SCV: I love this show. I wish the brass were louder, but they sounded much cleaner than when I saw them live back in early July. I assume the Viper is still in the show somewhere, but it's been moved from the end where I was looking for it... The director choosing when to cut was doing a bad job and missed the visual impact in multiple places.

Bluecoats: My wife's favorite show. It's definitely much improved over the beginning of the season. Still doesn't compare to last year's show which I've been watching on Bluray this week. But Creep is pretty darn incredible. Dunno if the sampled singing was part of the show earlier in the year. It barely came through at the theater, but since the electronics designer talked about it, I noticed it. Meh.

Phantom: Gorgeous music, although I noticed way more synth this time around, even though the speakers were in front of the mikes. I just noticed way more synth parts. I'm assuming they've added a lot of synth to the show in the past couple of weeks. Too bad. This music doesn't need any of it. I like the new ending, but the music is my favorite part of the show.

Crown: My 9-year-old daughter's favorite show, but she's been a Crown honk since her first drum corps show in 2008. Their brass is phenomenal. Clearly, far and away, the best brass. Hope it keeps being scored that way. Heard some crackles in their right side PA early in the show. I think they are doing less drill than usual, and definitely less than they need to do to win, but what drill they do is pretty incredible. Love the energy of the "encore" closer, but the ballad is (as usual) my favorite part of the show.

Cavies: I like the new touches with the brass on stilts and the drum major directing upside down. The music is great and all fits together better than last year's. The audience in the theater clearly was hyping on most of their gimmicks, but I detected no reaction to the leaping at the end. Glad to see them back within reach of the top.

Cadets: I'm definitely rooting for this show to win. The visuals are amazing. The ballad is great. My wife says the music is boring. I can see what she means. I'm okay with the music, but this show is definitely all about the visuals and all the little touches between the two groups on the field.

Blue Devils: This is such a huge improvement for me over last year, but I actually like it less than 1930, which I don't really care for. The music is too choppy IMO, although I do love the Wives and Lovers section. My wife says she just wanted them to clean up the field; it was just a big visual mess most of the time between the props and the guard equipment etc. I feel like the BD shows in the past few years are mostly about checking off a bunch of boxes demonstrating certain skills. They definitely execute, but it doesn't flow and it doesn't have any moments that just wrench my gut, unlike every other corps I saw tonight. I *know* that BD's staff could design a show that had some real emotional impact if they wanted to, but they have other priorities. I realize this is a subjective thing, but it's just a very stark difference for me between the emotion I feel from watching all the other corps and then what I feel when I watch BD's show. I really don't think it's me hating on BD specifically: I've been unhappy with the Cadets' shows for the past several years and then this year they turned me around and I've been rooting for their show to win all year.

100% agree with this.

I really enjoy BD this year- MUCH more so than last year, might I add.

• Like 1

Your analysis is well written and very insightful. :smile:

As far as my own personal opinion...I am not a fan of a show where a theme is not very easily accessible or easy to understand...In other words, if I need a libretto to understand it, IMO the show has failed in making that connection with me...I can also name a host of other corps shows from other years that I can put into this category as well, so this does not necessarily just mean the Blue Devils per se.

• Like 2