Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

Best quote from the 06 theater show when asked what he did during rehearsals when everyone else was on the field:

"I march!"

:worthy:

I never heard that one.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown 2008, with their Finis show.

Since the show title is inherently about endings, they were very creative with including some of the legendary show endings of all-time (basically hidden) within their drill during a portion leading up to the end of the show.

If you watch closely, small sections of the hornline are each doing different things. One section was doing the diamond cutter, another a Z-pull, and another the Phantom wedge while crab-stepping...

There is more, but I know you're going to run and go watch it now to find out for yourself!!! :)

This, plus starting the show in "minus-1" position with the lower body to signify that the beginning has already happened and that this is the end :)

• Like 3

I was even there and didn't notice this until someone on DCP pointed it out - in Phantom's 2008 Spartacus, in the finale the corps detaches the drape from their left shoulder and fixes it at their waist, turning it into a baldric. (signifying they're siding with Spartacus)

Mike

I believe this is in the 2011 Blue Knights show (please correct me if I'm wrong).

There's a portion of the show where the mellophone section is down in front on the left hand side of the field around the 10-20 yard line. The guard takes their sabers and put them in holders in the backs of the mellos uniforms (about half the section). There is a minute or more of music/drill where the mellos are now towards the back of the field on the same side. There, the guard retrieves their sabers and continues their drill.

I just thought this was a very creative way of getting the guard equipment to a different portion of the field. And I'm sure there will be a number of references where it's been done before, but I just thought it was cool to watch.

Phantom did something kind of similar in 92, during the Burning of Moscow section. While the horns were marching and playing, the guard slid their flame-colored flags into the crooks of their elbows, then ran off to partner with more horn players who didn't have flags. Then there's a drum break and some scatter drill, ending with the horns tossing the flags back to the guard, filling the air with "flames." The guard then slides black scrims over their flags that the horns had hidden in their uniforms, creating the smoke/ashes after the fire. Very cool effect.

Also, in Phantom 06, did anyone else miss the baldric change for the longest time? I didn't notice it until a couple months ago :doh:

Edited by Spandy

I believe this is in the 2011 Blue Knights show (please correct me if I'm wrong).

There's a portion of the show where the mellophone section is down in front on the left hand side of the field around the 10-20 yard line. The guard takes their sabers and put them in holders in the backs of the mellos uniforms (about half the section). There is a minute or more of music/drill where the mellos are now towards the back of the field on the same side. There, the guard retrieves their sabers and continues their drill.

I just thought this was a very creative way of getting the guard equipment to a different portion of the field. And I'm sure there will be a number of references where it's been done before, but I just thought it was cool to watch.

In this same vein in 1994 Phantom Regiment the 4 tenor players slip behind the pit on the field and put down their drums, they then all pick up baritones and move through the drill unnoticed to the other side of the field where they slip behind a prop and pick up the wooden tenors. They then play those wood tenors and finish the section back over by the pit where they hold up the tenors to show they are solid wood then duck back down behind the pit and pick up their real tenors.

• Like 1