Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

correct Mike. I like to think this is a good sign, but it doesn't take into account freebies thatdidn't have a wristband attached to it.

Still a good sign. Shows DCI is making some progress

Jeff -

ALL of the 'freebies' you are speaking of still had to have a credential to get into the event. ALL exhibitors, guests, corps members, Friends of DCI, corps staff, etc had either a wristband or a purple or green stadium pass acting as a credential. Without that credential or a ticket, no one should have been in the stadium.

Hopefully that helps.

i vaguely remember finals night attendance in '78 being reported at like 32,000 . . ?

Finals attendance did exceed 25,000 some years through the early 80s, but also recall that 50 yard line seats for finals in 1978 probably cost about $15 as well, and plane tickets, gas prices, and hotel rates were much lower as well (and on the other side, average family income was somewhat lower, too). My point is that DCI's revenue from championship week was nowhere as good overall and because of the economic differences, you can't write all of the attendance difference off as a decline in the activity. There are many factors to consider.

• Like 1

Posting this for reference. I'd update the GDP numbers but until we get the '09 and '10 attendance it doesn't mean much anyway.

For reference the GDP is currently running at an annualized target of 1%, so you can add that visual picture.

Suffice it to say that the 9% increase was off a significantly lower level. Still GREAT!, but '09 and '10 must have been brutal.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that, according to the release, '10 attendance must have been 15,765 at finals. Plug that into the picture, too.

20101006-xui94hkryjxhmfufw1je72ap3i.png

And where was the highest attendance?.....................................................................California baby!!!!! :thumbup:

And if they would have kept it in California the next year...........the GDP would have gone up!!! :tongue: But noooooooooooo..........

• Like 2

Jeff -

ALL of the 'freebies' you are speaking of still had to have a credential to get into the event. ALL exhibitors, guests, corps members, Friends of DCI, corps staff, etc had either a wristband or a purple or green stadium pass acting as a credential. Without that credential or a ticket, no one should have been in the stadium.

Hopefully that helps.

actually those who got free tickets did not all have those. I had a spy out there looking. So if you got any buy one get one deals or any other free ticket giveaway DCI had going, you had a ticket, but it's not a paid ticket

I cannot believe how some people just simply refuse to accept that PAID ATTENDANCE AT DCI FINALS WAS UP....SIGNIFICANTLY.

I cannot believe how some people just simply refuse to accept that PAID ATTENDANCE AT DCI FINALS IS DOWN ....SIGNIFICANTLY....since finals were moved to Indianapolis.

2007 Finals = 24,309 tickets SOLD, with "over 30,000" in the stadium. Source:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1895a3d9-b611-452e-872a-d4e124545486

I truly hope that attendance in Indy picks up in the future. But I am not optimistic that people will continue to trek there annually for seven more years.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA
  • Like 5

I cannot believe how some people just simply refuse to accept that PAID ATTENDANCE AT DCI FINALS IS DOWN ....SIGNIFICANTLY....since finals were moved to Indianapolis.

2007 Finals = 24,309 tickets SOLD, with "over 30,000" in the stadium. Source:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1895a3d9-b611-452e-872a-d4e124545486

I truly hope that attendance in Indy picks up in the future. But I am not optimistic that people will continue to trek there annually for seven more years.

Agreed.

It also does not take into account the fact that there were a couple thousand that showed up with the $10 ticket offer for Indiana residents only. This was a nice way to fill the place at the last minute... and still mark it as "paid attendance".

I also think this is a reflection of DCI pricing themselves out of many people's fiscal range. $125 is still insane for a decent seat. At least they took the x35-36's and x45-46's out of the $125 range this year. People sitting outside the goal lines for that price was crazy when they first had this ingenius idea for the "black area" not being available to the public.

• Like 3

How times, and the country, have changed...

Drum Corps News Sept. 12, 1962 issue

28,000 Attend Jersey City Show To Watch 10 Top Jr., Sr. Corps

JERSEY CITY, N.J., Aug. 26 - One of the finest "Dream" contests in recent years was served up for approximately 28,000 enthusiastic fans at Roosevelt Stadium here this afternoon, with the Hawthorne Caballeros following form by winning the senior show and Blessed Sacrament annexing a hard-fought junior competition.

Hawthorne's expected win was not an easy one, as less than four points separated the six top-flight seniors who competed and less than half a point separated the Cabs from the runner-up, arch-rival N.Y. Skyliners.

Sac finished only 1.1 points ahead of second place Garfield in the junior division, a decision that proved unpopular with many of the fans. St. Kevin's was less than half a point back in third spot.

Baltimore's Yankee-Rebels, making their first appearance here in some time, proved the special favorite of the fans with their high G.E. show, including the by-now famous - "Stripper". Their fourth place finish announcement was greeted with a chorus of boos, as has already been the case many times this season when the popular entry from the Chesapeake Bay failed to carry home top honors.

The Archer-Epler Musketeers, with their highly musical show and six snares, edged ahead of the Rebels into third place among the seniors.

The Conn. Hurricanes, accompanied by a sizeable contingent of hometown rooters, nailed down the fifth spot in their first Dream appearance.

Although they were joined by a character dressed as "Abe Lincoln" during retreat and the D.M. donned a blackface mask as an added gimmick during their rendition of "Mammy", the Reilly Raiders still finished last with a still-creditable 82.40 score.

The Raiders have come back strong this year with an entirely new musical offering and shortly will begin rehearsals with a still larger corps for the 1963 season.

Audubon's much improved Bon Bons rounded out the four-corps field in the junior show, one of the best and closest seen in recent "Dreams".

The Newark Woodsiders, who have many corpsmen from the now-defunct St. Vincent Cadets, former "Dream" hosts, in their ranks, gave the exhibition. Featuring a stunting cymbalist, the Woodsiders appear about ready to break into the top echelon of N.Y. - Jersey junior corps.

The scores:

Seniors

1. Hawthorne Cabs .............. 86.210

2. N.Y. Skyliners ................... 85.943

3. Archer-Epler .................... 85.036

4.Yankee Rebels .................. 84.110

5. Conn. Hurricanes .............. 83.333

6. Reilly Raiders ................... 82.400

Juniors

1. Blessed Sacrament ........... 85.126

2. Garfield Cadets ................ 84.616

3. St. Kevin's ....................... 84.130

4. Audubon Bon Bons ........... 82.653

• Like 1

I remember it as 272,395. People were stacked five deep in the seats on all sides and were hanging from the rafters and three different Goodyear blimps. At least that's how I remember it.

You must have confused this with Woodstock... or else maybe you just got a bad ice cube in your drink in '78.

• Like 1

How times, and the country, have changed...

Drum Corps News Sept. 12, 1962 issue

28,000 Attend Jersey City Show To Watch 10 Top Jr., Sr. Corps

JERSEY CITY, N.J., Aug. 26 - One of the finest "Dream" contests in recent years was served up for approximately 28,000 enthusiastic fans at Roosevelt Stadium here this afternoon, with the Hawthorne Caballeros following form by winning the senior show and Blessed Sacrament annexing a hard-fought junior competition.

Hawthorne's expected win was not an easy one, as less than four points separated the six top-flight seniors who competed and less than half a point separated the Cabs from the runner-up, arch-rival N.Y. Skyliners.

Sac finished only 1.1 points ahead of second place Garfield in the junior division, a decision that proved unpopular with many of the fans. St. Kevin's was less than half a point back in third spot.

Baltimore's Yankee-Rebels, making their first appearance here in some time, proved the special favorite of the fans with their high G.E. show, including the by-now famous - "Stripper". Their fourth place finish announcement was greeted with a chorus of boos, as has already been the case many times this season when the popular entry from the Chesapeake Bay failed to carry home top honors.

The Archer-Epler Musketeers, with their highly musical show and six snares, edged ahead of the Rebels into third place among the seniors.

The Conn. Hurricanes, accompanied by a sizeable contingent of hometown rooters, nailed down the fifth spot in their first Dream appearance.

Although they were joined by a character dressed as "Abe Lincoln" during retreat and the D.M. donned a blackface mask as an added gimmick during their rendition of "Mammy", the Reilly Raiders still finished last with a still-creditable 82.40 score.

The Raiders have come back strong this year with an entirely new musical offering and shortly will begin rehearsals with a still larger corps for the 1963 season.

Audubon's much improved Bon Bons rounded out the four-corps field in the junior show, one of the best and closest seen in recent "Dreams".

The Newark Woodsiders, who have many corpsmen from the now-defunct St. Vincent Cadets, former "Dream" hosts, in their ranks, gave the exhibition. Featuring a stunting cymbalist, the Woodsiders appear about ready to break into the top echelon of N.Y. - Jersey junior corps.

The scores:

Seniors

1. Hawthorne Cabs .............. 86.210

2. N.Y. Skyliners ................... 85.943

3. Archer-Epler .................... 85.036

4.Yankee Rebels .................. 84.110

5. Conn. Hurricanes .............. 83.333

6. Reilly Raiders ................... 82.400

Juniors

1. Blessed Sacrament ........... 85.126

2. Garfield Cadets ................ 84.616

3. St. Kevin's ....................... 84.130

4. Audubon Bon Bons ........... 82.653

St. Kevins got robbed. They should have won. This Boston Corps brought the house down in 'Jersey, and even many of the 'Jersey fans thought they won for sure.

Edited by BRASSO