Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

I am not really sure why the attendance figures matter by themselves. DCI has several streams of revenue for finals week. These numbers reflect only one piece of the pie. how many more fans watched quarterfinals in movie theatres across the country like I did? How many more paid for the webcast of semis on fan network or a full season subscription? You would need to add all of the revenue streams together to get an accurate picture of finals week "attendance" by fans.

SCV said it best a few years back. It's a "new era" and to survive and thrive DCI will need to continue to diversify revenue streams and drive engagement with it's fans in multiple ways. Just because I didn't go to finals doesn't mean I can't get my favorite corps shirt. I can hop online year round and get it. You may not get concession money from me but if you get me to purchase the event on fan network you still have me engaged and as a paying customer....with that in mind I won't over analyze attendance figures for finals week. Could it be better? Absolutely. Is it the end all be all? Absolutely not.

This is a valid point in my opinion. If we add the numbers of fans that saw the Finals week Quarters, Semi's, Finals live AND on Computer and/in Cinemas live, the total " attendance " numbers naturally would rise quite a bit. But of course to be fair, if we use these numbers here in 2011 and want to compare ( say ) 1981, 1982 or some other year, one would likewise have to estimate the additional numbers in these years if we included the opportunity for fans to watch these shows similarly in 1981, 1982 in national cinemas, or at home etc too, and add that to the 30,000+ that attended Finals in some of these earlier years as well.

Edited by BRASSO

I am not really sure why the attendance figures matter by themselves. DCI has several streams of revenue for finals week. These numbers reflect only one piece of the pie. how many more fans watched quarterfinals in movie theatres across the country like I did? How many more paid for the webcast of semis on fan network or a full season subscription? You would need to add all of the revenue streams together to get an accurate picture of finals week "attendance" by fans.

SCV said it best a few years back. It's a "new era" and to survive and thrive DCI will need to continue to diversify revenue streams and drive engagement with it's fans in multiple ways. Just because I didn't go to finals doesn't mean I can't get my favorite corps shirt. I can hop online year round and get it. You may not get concession money from me but if you get me to purchase the event on fan network you still have me engaged and as a paying customer....with that in mind I won't over analyze attendance figures for finals week. Could it be better? Absolutely. Is it the end all be all? Absolutely not.

revenue from the cinecast is big...but so is the expense. last year my local theater sold out two decent sized rooms. this year we got the big theater and it was 2/3 full....usually sold out by show day. Not sure where other theaters came in at.

finals week is still the biggest money maker DCI has. If you drop prices to $100, $65 and $45, you get more fans. You get the hotels to drop $25 a night off the price, you get more fans.

and figure out a way to make Indy easier to get to by plane you get more fans too.

I won't even go into the roof :devil:

that said, I'm glad attendance was up.

Edited by Jeff Ream

Posting this for reference. I'd update the GDP numbers but until we get the '09 and '10 attendance it doesn't mean much anyway.

For reference the GDP is currently running at an annualized target of 1%, so you can add that visual picture.

Suffice it to say that the 9% increase was off a significantly lower level. Still GREAT!, but '09 and '10 must have been brutal.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that, according to the release, '10 attendance must have been 15,765 at finals. Plug that into the picture, too.

20101006-xui94hkryjxhmfufw1je72ap3i.png

So, its a good increase off of 2010, but who knows how much the 'paid attendance' actually paid on average (i heard there were deals out there for indiana residents and such)... if they'd had a firesale on tickets they could create great numbers but rake in less in ticket money. But big picture, it still doesnt say great things about indy as a finals location, given attendances there are the lowest since 01 (and 2010 just looks horrible)

PLENTY OF GOOD SEATS STILL AVAILABLE !!!!!

LOSsect542.jpg

Aw, com'on, you're not foolin' me.

This is a pic of the Carolina Panthers Fan Club at one of last year's Panthers games.

PLENTY OF GOOD SEATS STILL AVAILABLE !!!!!

LOSsect542.jpg

Nope that is DCI Hall of Fame Ken Norman.

revenue from the cinecast is big...but so is the expense. last year my local theater sold out two decent sized rooms. this year we got the big theater and it was 2/3 full....usually sold out by show day. Not sure where other theaters came in at.

finals week is still the biggest money maker DCI has. If you drop prices to $100, $65 and $45, you get more fans. You get the hotels to drop $25 a night off the price, you get more fans.

and figure out a way to make Indy easier to get to by plane you get more fans too.

I won't even go into the roof :devil:

that said, I'm glad attendance was up.

Well, I guess they could build an airport somewhere near the city. :cool:

Edited by Michael Boo

Mike, why not team up with the AL once again....For example their national convention was held in Minn....this year...why could not DCI and the AL get together and hold DCI Finals at their convention... Or convince them to hold their national convention in Indy the same time DCI holds their Finals here....Just saying......

I'm just guessing here, but availability of hotel rooms might be a problem.