Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

<<The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,617, which does not include corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.>>

Too bad they couldn't work the total to reflect the number of people who went two or three nights.

Edited by Ghost

Agreed.

It also does not take into account the fact that there were a couple thousand that showed up with the $10 ticket offer for Indiana residents only. This was a nice way to fill the place at the last minute... and still mark it as "paid attendance".

I also think this is a reflection of DCI pricing themselves out of many people's fiscal range. $125 is still insane for a decent seat. At least they took the x35-36's and x45-46's out of the $125 range this year. People sitting outside the goal lines for that price was crazy when they first had this ingenius idea for the "black area" not being available to the public.

How many empty $125 seats were there? I didn't see any. If they are selling all (or great majority) of the $125 seats...then it is not insane. Why sell it for less if that's what you can get for it?

How many empty $125 seats were there? I didn't see any. If they are selling all (or great majority) of the $125 seats...then it is not insane. Why sell it for less if that's what you can get for it?

Tell me you're kidding, right?

Obviously you did not go on to Ticketmaster the NIGHT BEFORE FINALS to find sets of 6 and 8 tickets in a row still available all throughout 139 and 141 (both $125 sections). There was even a thread here I believe Thursday that week where someone was saying "Wow! Look at all these greats seats still left on Ticketmaster!"... then you could customize your search and find seats in the 238, 338, 242, 342 areas without a problem as well.

Then... if you chose "best available" for the $75 or $55 areas, they were sold out all the way to the 136/236/336 areas. This tells me that a LOT of people were skipping right over the $125 seats because they could not afford it.

Bottom line, the fact that there were a surplus of the "best" seats left for Finals tells me all I need to know.

It is even more concerning when the majority of the really good seats (read: the entire middle -- 239, 240, 241, 339, 340, 341, 439, 440, 441, etc.) are all "black area" or "Friends of DCI" seats to begin with. This means lots of people are finding their seats now through FODCI members hawking their seats. And then there are even third parties buying and selling WAY above face value. Nobody wants that.

I don't think you understand that when stuff is resold, DCI is not seeing a dime of it. Yes, those seats are for donors who went above and beyond the call, but other seats were freebies given away for directors, hall of fame, various VIP's "in the industry", housing partners, you name it. Sure, many of those people have given their contribution to DCI in some way or another over the past few decades, but there are many more who aren't actively contributing anything and are making Finals their only event of the year.

I also have friends (I'll call them extreme cheapskates, not afraid to go there...) that bought $10 seats since they were from Indiana, who then slid down into the 139 and 141 areas because the seats were otherwise not taken.

I'm just saying, don't assume everything was sold out because it looked full.

That's great. Do you happen to remember what the tickets cost?

Why would you want to know " what the tickets cost in 1971 " ?

I do know that in 1971 the average cost of some things were as follows( source,US National Labor Bureau Statistics, national Gov't data. )

monthy rent..............................$150.

gallon of gas............................40 cents.

3 bedroom, 2bath house, 'burbs...........$24,000.

Postage stamp.............................8 cents.

movie ticket..............................$1.25.

brand new 1971 Dodge Datsun................$1,866.

Ave. annual income per fulltime worker......$9,860.

Ave. hourly wage fulltime worker............$3.41 hr.

US Guaranteed Minimum Wage..................$1.60 hr.

Average cost Major League Baseball Ticket... $2.75

Edited by BRASSO

Let's say the 6,903 who went to Pre-lims also went to semi-finals. That means only 5,448 new folks showed up on friday. If the 12,351 at semis went to finals, only 5,012 new fans showed up for finals. (Hope that was done right.)

I remember it as 272,395. People were stacked five deep in the seats on all sides and were hanging from the rafters and three different Goodyear blimps. At least that's how I remember it.

LOL Mike... good point.

Often, tales grow taller as the years go by.

The DCA corps I marched with.... we beat a corps the weekend before championships one year by about 8 tenths...that corps went on to win the DCA title. But in the years since, that weekend-before "spread"... as relayed by some... has increased to six points. :tongue: "How did a corps we beat by six points come back and beat us the next week???"....etc., etc,....LOL.