Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Geez, I hope we're not going to now try and determine WHY people came to the shows in previous years, and make some sort of up or down attendance figure allowances for THAT.

Under such nonsensical scrutiny of WHY one goes to Drum Corps shows, I guess one would then likewise be compelled to make allowances for fans who went to shows this year, or recently because ( for just one example ) their boyfrind or girlfriend was in Corps and they were there to pick them up after Finals... but really didn't care all that much about the Drum Corps shows at all.

My suggestion would be that we don't start subdividing the attendance figures published by whether the audience member was genuinely there to enjoy the Drum Corps or was there for some other reasson quite apart from the motive to try and enjoy the shows. Thats a VERY slippery slope to subdivide audience figures by their level of support for the shows itself.

I'm just saying that when the Million Dollar Pageant of Drums was held inside the convention framework, there was a built-in audience of a certain number already, especially since other VFW functions were held during the show at the same time...tributes, state chapter recognitions, etc.

I'm not trying to subdivide anything, but if we teamed up with ComicCon and announced that the new "Batman" movie was going to be played inside the stadium in segments between corps, we'd have to get rid of all the black fabric to accommodate everyone wearing a mask of Robin.

• Like 1

Why would you want to know " what the tickets cost in 1971 " ?

I do know that in 1971 the average cost of some things were as follows( source,US National Labor Bureau Statistics, national Gov't data. )

monthy rent..............................$150.

gallon of gas............................40 cents.

3 bedroom, 2bath house, 'burbs...........$24,000.

Postage stamp.............................8 cents.

movie ticket..............................$1.25.

brand new 1971 Dodge Datsun................$1,866.

Ave. annual income per fulltime worker......$9,860.

Ave. hourly wage fulltime worker............$3.41 hr.

US Guaranteed Minimum Wage..................$1.60 hr.

Average cost Major League Baseball Ticket... $2.75

Because in 1971 I just happened to pay rent, bought some gas for my new Dodge Datsun (which I paid for with the money I made as a fulltime worker), then later that year bought a 3 bedroom house (because the rent was too high), then had to buy some stamps to mail my mortgage payments, then in September I went to a movie (Dirty Harry) after going to an afternoon Reds vs Dodger game. (Reds won 2-1)

I didn't however buy a ticket to the 1971 VFW Nationals at the Cotton Bowl and was curious as to what they cost.

I'm just saying that when the Million Dollar Pageant of Drums was held inside the convention framework, there was a built-in audience of a certain number already, especially since other VFW functions were held during the show at the same time...tributes, state chapter recognitions, etc.

The VFW ( and AL ) delegates first went to the Drum and Bugle Corps competitions prior to WW2. They continued to go year after year for the next 30 years ( one presumes ) because there was sufficient entertainment value in the spectacle for them to want to return year after year to the Drum Corps portion of the many featured festivities revolving around the Veterans Convention. Since we are talking attendance figures, each year at the height of the VFW (and AL) National Conventions, less than half the delegates actually went to the VFW Million Dollar Pageant of Drums National Championship show in any given year. In 1961, in Miami, Drum Corps News published their report that ( quote ) "40,000 fans attended the VFW's Finals " ( under a pic of the Cambridge Caballeros in performance ) I have no idea WHY the fans went. Who cares WHY someone goes to a public event. I've gotten free tickets to things, and could not be bothered to sit for several hours in the same seat ( in this case the heat of Miami )if I did not think I was going to enjoy sitting and watching something for 4 + hours or so. And I sure as heck would not return the following year if the show was not to my liking. I've heard this knock on VFW and AL National Championships attendance figures that " well, you know, these were delegates and they got in free " or whatever. I don't think its fair to say that these delegates would sit in the heat ( no AC, nor indoors) ) for several hours watching the VFW National Drum Corps Championship ( even if it was free with Convention ticket )... and keep coming back year after year... unless the show was something they enjoyed watching for 4-5 hours on end each year. I'll accept that DCI had 17,000 fans at Finals this year and not make any upward or downward adjustments for this figure based upon the WHY the fan went. I see no reason to ascribe motive for an attendee's attendance. Likewise, I think it would be beneficial to acknowledge that upwards of 40,000 people have attended the VFW Drum and Bugle Corps National Championships in the past. ( and in the same year ANOTHER 20-30,000 for the AL Nationals Drum and Bugle Corps Championships. )There is nothing to be gained Mike ( imo ) to alter attendance figures up or down by assigning motive for attendance by virtue of trying to determine WHY a person decided to sit for upwards of 4+ hours and watch a Drum Corps show.... even if they were just "delegates " ( as somehow not " real " Drum Corps show fans. ).... PS, I've been to lots of DCI Championships ( first one, Ithaca, NY '74 ) The largest DCI audience that I personally recall is probably Montreal in 1981. They had approx. 32-38,000 for Finals. Some were Corps members no doubt that were in Corps that did not make Finals. So I'd estimate that there was around 28-32,000 paid or so in '81 ( '82 had similar size too, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

Montreal 1982, 36,000+

And where was the highest attendance?.....................................................................California baby!!!!! :thumbup:

And if they would have kept it in California the next year...........the GDP would have gone up!!! :tongue: But noooooooooooo..........

And where was the highest attendance?.....................................................................California baby!!!!! :thumbup:

Sorry highest ever attendence was in Montreal 1981 scoreboard read 32.427 thats when the people were hanging out of the rafters :thumbup:

sorry was not there in 82 stand corrected

Edited by ripper

I'm not trying to subdivide anything, but if we teamed up with ComicCon and announced that the new "Batman" movie was going to be played inside the stadium in segments between corps, we'd have to get rid of all the black fabric to accommodate everyone wearing a mask of Robin.

Mike, why not team up with the AL once again....For example their national convention was held in Minn....this year...why could not DCI and the AL get together and hold DCI Finals at their convention... Or convince them to hold their national convention in Indy the same time DCI holds their Finals here....Just saying......

Because in 1971 I just happened to pay rent, bought some gas for my new Dodge Datsun (which I paid for with the money I made as a fulltime worker), then later that year bought a 3 bedroom house (because the rent was too high), then had to buy some stamps to mail my mortgage payments, then in September I went to a movie (Dirty Harry) after going to an afternoon Reds vs Dodger game. (Reds won 2-1)

I didn't however buy a ticket to the 1971 VFW Nationals at the Cotton Bowl and was curious as to what they cost.

I'll tell you what oldbandguy...If you can find a poster here on DCP that can tell you what the cost of the ticket was for the 1971 VFW Nationals in Dallas... and provide proof of same.... I will personally buy you a Clint Eastwood current movie.

Just don't hold your breath that anyone on here is going to remember the answer to THAT question. ( except take a wild guess )

I am not really sure why the attendance figures matter by themselves. DCI has several streams of revenue for finals week. These numbers reflect only one piece of the pie. how many more fans watched quarterfinals in movie theatres across the country like I did? How many more paid for the webcast of semis on fan network or a full season subscription? You would need to add all of the revenue streams together to get an accurate picture of finals week "attendance" by fans.

SCV said it best a few years back. It's a "new era" and to survive and thrive DCI will need to continue to diversify revenue streams and drive engagement with it's fans in multiple ways. Just because I didn't go to finals doesn't mean I can't get my favorite corps shirt. I can hop online year round and get it. You may not get concession money from me but if you get me to purchase the event on fan network you still have me engaged and as a paying customer....with that in mind I won't over analyze attendance figures for finals week. Could it be better? Absolutely. Is it the end all be all? Absolutely not.

Mike, why not team up with the AL once again....For example their national convention was held in Minn....this year...why could not DCI and the AL get together and hold DCI Finals at their convention... Or convince them to hold their national convention in Indy the same time DCI holds their Finals here....Just saying......

Ironically, the AL National Headquarters is in....wait for it....Indianapolis, IN.

The AL, VFW, and other veterans organizations are a shell of what they once were. None of them is doing a very good job recruiting new members, despite there being a large number of "new" vets meeting eligibility rules. I'd be shocked if any of them had any interest in a sponsorship with DCI.