Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

I sort of answered my own question with a little research of the LOS website:

Football games and band competitions can be played indoors or outdoors using the retractable roof and operable north window. The house reduction curtain system covers the entire Terrace Level seating, reducing capacity from 63,000 to approximately 41,000.

Out of that 41,000 seats that are available, how many are seats that people would be willing to pay for? I would assume that at least 10,000 of those are end zone seats and I can't imagine those selling for much, or anything at all.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

Seriously, who cares? There were more butts in the seats, who cares if they paid $75 or $10? DCI is well and alive, and it's not going to fold like half the corps from the "glory days". Regardless of how much people paid, they got to see Drum Corps at its best, and I'll bet anything they'll be willing to come back next year. :thumbup:

• Like 3

I respectfully disagree - but perhaps that is also irrelevent to you.

Do you know how many DCP readers you just sent over to Google (or Wikipedia)? :tongue:

Heh,

I appreciate the emotion and passion we all have for DCI. So, I think it's great that we're all supporting or at least talking about it.

Unless you are making a claim of a conspiracy on the part of someone connected with DCI in 1981 to fudge the paid attendance figures and then have those false numbers become flashed across the stadium scoreboard live in '81, one naturally is compelled to go with the published paid attendance figures produced by DCI itself... whether it was in 1981, this year in 2011... or any other year for that matter.

Not a conspiracy. Just a different way of counting and reporting the numbers back in the day.

Little known fact - back in the 70's and into the 80's (not exactly sure when the practice changed), DCI sold tickets to the corps based on the number of marching members in each corps. The tickets were a special lower price and were the mechanism to get the corps into the stadium when they weren't performing. Some corps directors handed these out to individual members. Some corps directors held on to them and had the corps enter the stadium en masse.

Those tickets were counted and reported as part of the Paid Attendance numbers. After all, they were tickets that had been sold. Again, not accusing anyone of conspiring to pad the numbers. Maybe they just never thought of wristbands back then.

1981 and 1982 in Montreal had the highest number of corps attending the DCI championships (over 90 each year) AND some of the highest reported paid attendance numbers. I don't think that is a concidence.

These days all of those marching members get into the stadium using wristbands and are not counted as part of the "tickets sold" numbers.

Just one of many reasons why it is difficult to do an apples to apples comparison between different eras.

Even if they did count the corps kids (aka butts in seats) as paid attendance back in the early 80's....with over 90 active corps participating in the event...you have to factor in the parents coming to see thier kids. That's alot more kids...alot more parents...alot more seats sold.

DCI is not the sort of activity where you can rely on people walking in off the street. Attendees have to have a reason to be there in most cases...otherwise you won't be paying for tickets that high.

I'm excited about the direction of DCI and congratulate them for getting through this recession fairly healthy.

DCI in the past (search the DCI.org news archives for "attendance") has been explicit in the articles about "paid attendance" or "ticket sales" versus the hedging language of this announcement.

For 2007 (the last time DCI made an announcement about attendance) the "paid attendance" number was over 24000...

I was referring to the glory days, which might include Montreal. But if there are some who see 2007 as glory days, that's good too.

HH

...Little known fact - back in the 70's and into the 80's (not exactly sure when the practice changed), DCI sold tickets to the corps based on the number of marching members in each corps. The tickets were a special lower price and were the mechanism to get the corps into the stadium when they weren't performing. Some corps directors handed these out to individual members. Some corps directors held on to them and had the corps enter the stadium en masse.

Those tickets were counted and reported as part of the Paid Attendance numbers. After all, they were tickets that had been sold. Again, not accusing anyone of conspiring to pad the numbers. Maybe they just never thought of wristbands back then...

Ah hah!

HH

Edited by glory

15 is better than 50, no doubt.

In your business - don't they most often compare your results to last month, last quarter or last year (or perhaps this year's quota or budget)? How often do they go back further than a year when they make a comparison?

usually 5 years, tho in my business right now, that can be depressing :ph34r: