Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Just talking about Finals week: what is the seating capacity of LOS between the 10s? If the pictures of LOS as full as it was on Saturday night are any indication, you can't get 30K people in that place w/o going past the goalposts in the endzones. If the sound issues start around the 10s, I don't think many people would pay to sit somewhere they can barely see and can't really hear.

Some theatres have adopted pricing in which the best seats cost less than the worst seats, on the grounds that if the worst seats are selling, that means demand is high. I wonder if that could apply to drum corps as well.

I see. So when you say "legit", what you mean is "paid". A turnstyle count can be a legitimate measure of actual attendance, but not a fully accurate reflection of ticket sales.

Because it was not 40,000. Like the scoreboard said:

81Attendance.jpg

Why would you entertain reports from random Facebook people 30 years after the fact, instead of this?

I didn't entertain what people said. I just brought it up as part of the conversation as I saw it and brasso mentioned it too. I scoffed when I saw it.

And yes legit would be paid. For all we know after the 5th corps, they stopped manning the gates. I know my local AA team let on anyone that showed up after the 7th.

Given that less video was officially available to the public this year, if accessibility of programming is a factor in increased attendance, was it actually the programming of 2013-2014 that drove up attendance in 2015?

Eewwww...excellent thought.

And what does this year mean for next?

• Like 1

Some theatres have adopted pricing in which the best seats cost less than the worst seats, on the grounds that if the worst seats are selling, that means demand is high. I wonder if that could apply to drum corps as well.

I think about our stadium and I wonder how this might benefit?

Our "expensive" seats usually sell out first and later purchasers buy up the cheap seats farther from the 50 and down lower in the stands.

Makes my mind hurt to think about reversing that strategy. Might just be better to increase all ticket prices...

The 32,000 and change Paid Attendance number for the 1981 DCI Finals Nite in Montreal was posted by DCI up on the screen inside the stadium that nite. We estimated in our group 36,000-38,000 or so were there that nite but some in that 35- 36,000 no doubt were marchers in that attendance, not making finals too. I saw the 32,000 and change DCI number, my friends saw it, thousands of others in attendance there in Montreal saw it. That screen was photographed that nite too by someone in attendance. A few years ago that pic was shown again on youtube a few years back, for others see that figure as well ( not sure its its still on youtube today anymore ). After the Finals, DCI announced that their Paid Attendance, was 32,000 and change. I received DCI's newsletter back then, and that figure was provided to those who received the newsletter. Now.... this info I just provided is FAR more info than the 3-4 people who throw out conspiracy theories that are seemingly accepted by the vulnerable without a scintilla, nor shred of info to back up THEIR claims that DCI under previous leadership " exaggerated the numbers ".... or that " DCI numbers were not legit " (but we accept them today ? )... or that " I know an unnamed, anonymous, non Drum Corps fan, guy in a stadium that worked there 30+ years ago and he tells me that the DCI numbers were not !00% " ... and other unsubstantiated nonsense.. Look, we should accept the DCI numbers back then.. We should accept them today. Or... we don't trust DCI to give us truthful numbers as somehow they can't be trusted with giving us accurrate and truthful numbers. Since I'm not into silly, unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, I accept DCI's published Paid Attendance figures.,and ESPECIALLY those years when the figures certainly seemed to concur with my and my friends personal experience at the time. If DCI put up on the screen in '81 that there were 45,000 fans estimated in attendance, we would have rolled our eyes with that exaggeration. But they did not. They estimated an attendance that seemed about right to us., AND they published that figure of Paid Attendance 32,000 and change in a timely manner afterwards. So we saw no conspiracy by DCI at the time to boost the figures. We only now see 3-4 DCP 'ers out and about now, that want to initiate a new current conspiracy on the numbers and thus impugn the intergrity of Don Pesceone, DCI Executive Director, at the time ( who was respnsible for posting the numbers ), for apparently cooking the numbers back then. For shame.

One problem. A few posts back the screen shot was shown, the number was just under 36, and it didn't specify paid.

#### facts

I just posted the scoreboard photo on this thread. Here it is again:

81Attendance.jpg

How does that reconcile with your account?

Doesn't specify paid or not

And yes legit would be paid. For all we know after the 5th corps, they stopped manning the gates. .

True... any year, any stadium too.

I have no " personal agenda " other than the pursuit of facts.., with evidence.. not hyperbole, rumors, conspiracy angles, unnamed sources name dropping, etc.

I just published the DCI produced attendance figures for Finals Night 1981 in Montreal ( that I was in attendance at )... with a picture from DCI as documentation. No, I do not think DCI Executive Director, Don Pesceone might have cooked the numbers back then for some as yet unexplained reason. I accept the numbers DCI gave us then. I accept the numbers DCI provides us now, Those who accept DCI numbers now but for some as yet unexplained reason to us, they won't accept DCI attendance numbers from the past may actually be into some sort of " an agenda ", imo.

DCI's attendance is up over the last few years. That is an encouraging sign. We can rejoice in that, and do so without injecting into the this attendance thread speculations, rumors, innuendos, false rumors, conspiracies, that the DCI attendance figures of " 36,000 " or so, were somehow exaggerated by fans. Look at the chronology from above here. The thread was going positive, then it took a turn when posters began to say that former DCI fans made up the attendance figures from the 70's and 80's of it being much higher than today. When it was pointed out by me we can use DCI 's own attendance figures for evidence, I was then asked to produce evidence of the 35-36,000 figure I gave for for 1981 Finals Nite in Montreal. So I did. Now we have 3-5 DCP'er on here saying " well, maybe DCI back then cooked the numbers, or used a different methodolgy, or " different technology " and all that nonsense for the comment those figures were " not legit " somehow.. The goalposts clearly seemingly got moved. ( haha!) But I accept DCI's attendance figures they themselves produce. both then, and now. I don't select just some years, but not others. Those who do so, could perhaps be engaging in " an agenda ", who knows. But the facts are the facts, the evidence conclusive. And so thats that.

You keep claiming the number shown in 81 was "paid". The screen shot shown in no way specifies paid.

Balls in your court to offer more proof than a scoreboard shot.

Not true. It IS "possible to point to a release from DCI in support of such ( attendance ) claims ". Not only can one point to that release, someone here can actually produce that requested DCI release itself for you. ( see above... DCI Finals Nite, '81 DCI attendance release to the public,... picture enclosed from the very nite itself .)

Which doesn't indicate paid

• Like 1

Thanks, N.E., and while it might be human nature to slather congrats on everything and everyone for being part of the higher attendance ("Just keep doing what they're doing!", some might say), I think it continues to be prudent to try to identify specific things done that can reasonably be attributed to the success. For example:

Did the corps play more "accessible" music? More "fan-friendly", less esoteric shows?

Was the competition tighter because of tighter scoring sheets, or mandates to score differently?

Did DCI do something with the schedule that made it easier for fans to attend?

Was it simply the lack of a FN DVR that drove fans to attend shows?

One of the concerns that I have, as a fan and contributor (among other roles) is understanding what was done so that it CAN be duplicated. Is it possible that things would have been even better had DCI/the corps done something different, or the same thing differently?

I'm just cautious of the activity being lulled into complacency and falling backwards for not understanding what drove attendance this year.

I vote yes to all the reasons