Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Forgot to mention, discussed this with some folks I see at finals each year, the crowd seem to shift a bit this year, a lot more corps parents, more corps members from the knocked out early corps brought tickets to the seats…it seemed the extra numbers were late buys and were more a bando-folks filling it out, seemed like more vendors too

Forgot to mention, discussed this with some folks I see at finals each year, the crowd seem to shift a bit this year, a lot more corps parents, more corps members from the knocked out early corps brought tickets to the seats…it seemed the extra numbers were late buys and were more a bando-folks filling it out, seemed like more vendors too

I sat in 240, on the aisle right above an entrance/exit portal. Only on finals night did we have an usher turning away wristbands, and those claiming to be with the corps staff had to show identity to go up and join their friends. I offered to get the usher a beer and hot dog if she'd be extra stern and "Nazi-guard-ish". She enjoyed doing exactly that. If you didn't have a ticket you didn't get past her. It was great.

At prelims and semis there was a marked increase in, apparently, clueless fans grappling for empty seats who blindly walk up the steps and ask to move down the row during the show. The _kid and I rolled our eyes, I think, ten or a dozen times. Would make sense that if parents are rotating in, the MM's friends and siblings blunder in without knowing the common rules of etiquette that older fans come to know. Maybe the two observations are related.

It would dovetail with the results of the Who Are You survey which suggest the average life of today's fan is just over 3 years.

Sometimes I feel like Clint Eastwood with all the tan little teenies come bounding in, popcorn and drink in hand, and ask 10 people to rise and allow her passage.

I bought the Nazi-guard a box of popcorn. She had a nice smile.

I sat in 240, on the aisle right above an entrance/exit portal. Only on finals night did we have an usher turning away wristbands, and those claiming to be with the corps staff had to show identity to go up and join their friends. I offered to get the usher a beer and hot dog if she'd be extra stern and "Nazi-guard-ish". She enjoyed doing exactly that. If you didn't have a ticket you didn't get past her. It was great.

At prelims and semis there was a marked increase in, apparently, clueless fans grappling for empty seats who blindly walk up the steps and ask to move down the row during the show. The _kid and I rolled our eyes, I think, ten or a dozen times. Would make sense that if parents are rotating in, the MM's friends and siblings blunder in without knowing the common rules of etiquette that older fans come to know. Maybe the two observations are related.

It would dovetail with the results of the Who Are You survey which suggest the average life of today's fan is just over 3 years.

Sometimes I feel like Clint Eastwood with all the tan little teenies come bounding in, popcorn and drink in hand, and ask 10 people to rise and allow her passage.

I bought the Nazi-guard a box of popcorn. She had a nice smile.

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

• Like 1

At Open Class Finals in Michigan City this year, I was able to buy a single seat in a good location just as the show started--though by evening's end, that small stadium was the fullest I've seen it at the three O.C. Finals I've attended. (That said, even at capacity, I think it seats fewer than attended the Avon Lake O.C. show a few days earlier.)

There was one fan in our area who was loudly berating the ushers at one point between shows. After he told some credentialed corps staff that they couldn't sit in the aisle, I think half the stadium probably heard him say, "Ushers, do your job!"

Unfortunately, the apparent result of this was that at the end of intermission, even though the announcer had said three minutes earlier that the show's second half would start in five minutes, and 7th Regiment was still a good ninety seconds from starting their performance, the usher at our entrance stopped all incoming traffic, so I had to watch that corps from the tunnel. Feast or famine.

No thrashing, but I'm curious: what is PRWeb, the site where that story appears, and who, besides people like us, will see or is meant to see this news?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

No thrashing, but I'm curious: what is PRWeb, the site where that story appears, and who, besides people like us, will see or is meant to see this news?

It's a news release service. Follow the links on the site. Pretty straight forward. Who will see it? It will be pushed to tabloids, newspapers, and industry rags and likely be made available to wire services to provide fill in lifestyle media, I suppose. Barbara Nash is likely a PR person hired by DCI, who gets her material from Bob Jacobs, DCI director of marketing.

Here's the meat of the article, although the mention record attendance across the country:

"The exceptional statistics throughout the season led perfectly into the 3-day finals in Indianapolis where a record-setting 22,085 fans reveled in an electrifying finish at the Saturday night finals – up an incredible 18.7% over 2014. The 3-night combined paid attendance was up 16.3% over 2014 and each of the three nights were individually the highest paid attendance for that night of the competition – records all around."