Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

It's a news release service. Follow the links on the site. Pretty straight forward. Who will see it? It will be pushed to tabloids, newspapers, and industry rags and likely be made available to wire services to provide fill in lifestyle media, I suppose. Barbara Nash is likely a PR person hired by DCI, who gets her material from Bob Jacobs, DCI director of marketing.

Thanks. So right now we're hoping that some news agencies (besides Kevin here at DCP) will pick this up and give it some wider play? If Ms. Nash is the same person who convinced CBS to do the story last August on BD's drummer, then I guess that's a reasonable hope.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Let the thrashing begin!

Go!

And there will be thrashing.

So 2015 saw the best attendance of the Indianapolis era, and decidedly so (good news!). But this press release, with its 12 claims of "record" and "highest" attendance, actually makes it sound like this is an all-time record for a DCI final. If you are tired of hearing people bring up 1981, leave this thread and do not look back.

• Like 2

And there will be thrashing.

So 2015 saw the best attendance of the Indianapolis era, and decidedly so (good news!). But this press release, with its 12 claims of "record" and "highest" attendance, actually makes it sound like this is an all-time record for a DCI final. If you are tired of hearing people bring up 1981, leave this thread and do not look back.

The very first statement in the release was this:

"Following an incredible record-setting national tour, Drum Corps International (DCI) ended the season with the highest paid attendance in Indianapolis at the World Championship Finals."

1981 is absolutely irrelevant in 2015, so bringing it up at all is just plain silly, IMO. The fact that this year is the 2nd highest (behind Pasadena) in this century is good enough for me.

• Like 1

OK record setting was the

1) highest attendance at Indy

2) total gate receipts all time

Geez, nice if it was spelled out in detail, could have saved about 20 pages of DCP webspace.......

• Like 2

1981 is absolutely irrelevant in 2015, so bringing it up at all is just plain silly, IMO. The fact that this year is the 2nd highest (behind Pasadena) in this century is good enough for me.

Which is where this whole silly circus frequently goes off the tracks.

There are a LOT of folks who -- no matter how you try to explain it -- will never understand that 1981 is irrelevant in 2015 :doh:

They are stuck behind their preconceptions and NO ONE is gonna drag them out from behind that wall !

• Like 3

Irrelevant is one thing. It's another to say 2015 was "record breaking" and neglecting to say HOW it was recording breaking.

I'm glad things went well in 2015 but let's be honest in exactly what is being talked about.

Irrelevant is one thing. It's another to say 2015 was "record breaking" and neglecting to say HOW it was recording breaking.

I'm glad things went well in 2015 but let's be honest in exactly what is being talked about.

It's typical of PR pieces intended to get press pick-up. In my business, I read a lot of press releases for the ratings of TV shows. I'm accustomed to a lot of creative ways to make something seem more significant than it is in the headline. But, usually the body copy has more detail.

That being said, I'm glad attendance this year was good, regardless of the wording in the press release.

• Like 1

Strange turn of events…

all the end zone seating were wristbands, some rumor was going around at semis that they were 2,000 seats away from a sell-out so pushed the wristbands to the sides...the wristbands to the side part was true, don't know about the other but good tickets for finals the day of the show were still around

During finals, in good seats, there were plenty of marchers in the seats, some were using their phones to check tickets on-line and then grab those seats that went unsold. And around me, I had parents of MM that had a few extra seats and their kid brought way too many of their friends after they marched to snag all the seats around then shuffle as people showed up or left their seats

(Cow note: I have a new corps that I’m not too keen on due to their marchers' behavior and comments, I shall root against you next year as punishment)

Definitely the sign of the times...

(for dinosaurs, the translation is they who got into the stadium on wristband passes pulled DCI/Ticketmaster charts up on their I-phone/portable computer thingey, saw what seats in preferred areas weren't sold, and sat in them unbothered as if they had bought the tickets.)

Question: What sort of instructions and moral challenges did the admin of corps which had wristbands give to the MMs when these were distributed, or were the admins updating their resumes to explain why their corps wasn't in Finals? 2 sad states of affairs in this case.