Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

More like it is so ridiculous that it is ridiculous.

35,000 in Montreal, eyewitnesses and DCI reports estimate that 28,000-30,000 were in for Finals this year. This is fabulous, and shows that attendance is surely rising back up.

/closethread

Edited by Lead

The DCI 1981 official Finals Nite attendance was 35,947 in Montreal.... included here for documentation evidence purposes : picture taken at the stadium on that very nite, by a Crossmen marcher aging out.( so lets finally dispense with the bogus nonsense posted here by a few current DCP'ers that like to engage in revisiinist history at ever turn, it seems( but with no evidence provided at all to support their nonsense ). These are DCI's official numbers : ( scroll down the to see the picture from DCI , that DCI posted on the stadium screen that nite.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/117008-finals-attendance/

Edited by BRASSO

see my post above. it's very easy to understand if you don't try to read between the lines and add in your own personal agenda

I have no " personal agenda " other than the pursuit of facts.., with evidence.. not hyperbole, rumors, conspiracy angles, unnamed sources name dropping, etc.

I just published the DCI produced attendance figures for Finals Night 1981 in Montreal ( that I was in attendance at )... with a picture from DCI as documentation. No, I do not think DCI Executive Director, Don Pesceone might have cooked the numbers back then for some as yet unexplained reason. I accept the numbers DCI gave us then. I accept the numbers DCI provides us now, Those who accept DCI numbers now but for some as yet unexplained reason to us, they won't accept DCI attendance numbers from the past may actually be into some sort of " an agenda ", imo.

DCI's attendance is up over the last few years. That is an encouraging sign. We can rejoice in that, and do so without injecting into the this attendance thread speculations, rumors, innuendos, false rumors, conspiracies, that the DCI attendance figures of " 36,000 " or so, were somehow exaggerated by fans. Look at the chronology from above here. The thread was going positive, then it took a turn when posters began to say that former DCI fans made up the attendance figures from the 70's and 80's of it being much higher than today. When it was pointed out by me we can use DCI 's own attendance figures for evidence, I was then asked to produce evidence of the 35-36,000 figure I gave for for 1981 Finals Nite in Montreal. So I did. Now we have 3-5 DCP'er on here saying " well, maybe DCI back then cooked the numbers, or used a different methodolgy, or " different technology " and all that nonsense for the comment those figures were " not legit " somehow.. The goalposts clearly seemingly got moved. ( haha!) But I accept DCI's attendance figures they themselves produce. both then, and now. I don't select just some years, but not others. Those who do so, could perhaps be engaging in " an agenda ", who knows. But the facts are the facts, the evidence conclusive. And so thats that.

Edited by BRASSO

But is that because DCI Live is integrated into DCI.org, while the Fan Network had its own domain?

Even when Fan Network was its own domain, I went to DCI.org first. It would take me to the other domain when I clicked on Fan Network. Thus, I was still a visitor to DCI.org. I suspect most people took that path.

I just posted the scoreboard photo on this thread. Here it is again:

81Attendance.jpg
How does that reconcile with your account?

Yes. It appears now I orginally actually underestimated the 1981, Finals Nite DCI attendance as " 32,000 and change " in my comments above. So If I had " an agenda " as 2 posters have implied have, I would logically then have been expected to have exaggerated the number in attendance for that year that I was in attendance in.. But my recollections of seeing that screen , with its number, was actually lower in numbers, by over 3,000. Thanks for that pic that shows the attendance as " 35,947 " at Finals Nite in '81. As the wise words remind us all.., The Truth Always Sets Us Free, while the make believe, or the made up, only causes the deniars frustration in the end when the false narrative is finally exposed for the failure that it always was, and from the beginning. Thanks Cixelsyd.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. It appears now I orginally actually underestimated DCI attendance'... from DCI itself.... as " 32,000 and change " in my comments above. So If I had " an agenda " as 2 posters have implied have said, I would nsturally have been expected to have exaggerated the number in attendance. But my recollections of seeing that screen were actually lower in numbers, by over 3,000. Thanks for that pic that shows it as " 35,947 " at Finals Nite in '81. The truth always sets us free.

Maybe that's "35,947" in metric population?? :ninja:

• Like 2

Even when Fan Network was its own domain, I went to DCI.org first. It would take me to the other domain when I clicked on Fan Network. Thus, I was still a visitor to DCI.org. I suspect most people took that path.

Nope. Google Chrome saved my most visited sites. I simply had to type in the letters "dc" and click enter and it would take me straight to the fannetwork site. I'd imagine many people would have some sort of shortcut to reach fannetwork without touching the mess that is DCI.org

I have no " personal agenda " other than the pursuit of facts.., with evidence.. not hyperbole, rumors, conspiracy angles, unnamed sources name dropping, etc.

I just published the DCI produced attendance figures for Finals Night 1981 in Montreal ( that I was in attendance at )... with a picture from DCI as documentation. No, I do not think DCI Executive Director, Don Pesceone might have cooked the numbers back then for some as yet unexplained reason. I accept the numbers DCI gave us then. I accept the numbers DCI provides us now, Those who accept DCI numbers now but for some as yet unexplained reason to us, they won't accept DCI attendance numbers from the past may actually be into some sort of " an agenda ", imo.

DCI's attendance is up over the last few years. That is an encouraging sign. We can rejoice in that, and do so without injecting into the this attendance thread speculations, rumors, innuendos, false rumors, conspiracies, that the DCI attendance figures of " 36,000 " or so, were somehow exaggerated by fans. Look at the chronology from above here. The thread was going positive, then it took a turn when posters began to say that former DCI fans made up the attendance figures from the 70's and 80's of it being much higher than today. When it was pointed out by me we can use DCI 's own attendance figures for evidence, I was then asked to produce evidence of the 35-36,000 figure I gave for for 1981 Finals Nite in Montreal. So I did. Now we have 3-5 DCP'er on here saying " well, maybe DCI back then cooked the numbers, or used a different methodolgy, or " different technology " and all that nonsense for the comment those figures were " not legit " somehow.. The goalposts clearly seemingly got moved. ( haha!) But I accept DCI's attendance figures they themselves produce. both then, and now. I don't select just some years, but not others. Those who do so, could perhaps be engaging in " an agenda ", who knows. But the facts are the facts, the evidence conclusive. And so thats that.

I wonder why it's so hard to believe that attendance was that high. I remember taking an Amtrak train up to Montreal from New York and that I wasn't the only drum corps fan on the train.

There were a bunch of factors to it:

1. Canada still had drum corps back then

2. The Northeast still had a load of drum corps, whose fans and families were withing driving distance. In Finals alone, you had 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Crossmen, Garfield. North Star was in 13th. For the Northeastern fans, Montreal was much more accessible than Birmingham had been.

3. A ton of corps competed. There were 39 Class A Corps, ten All-Girl Corps, and 49 corps competing in Open Class (now called World Class). This was one of the last years before corps started dying off and the activity contracted in terms of number of corps.

4. In those days, you didn't have regionals where all the corps competed already. The Championships were the first time all the corps competed against each other.

5. There was a certain exoticness to it being in Montreal that added to its allure and you didn't need a passport back then to go. I know I really looked forward to visiting the city and not just going for the drum corps. I can't say that about Birmingham the years prior.

• Like 1

I wonder why it's so hard to believe that attendance was that high. I remember taking an Amtrak train up to Montreal from New York and that I wasn't the only drum corps fan on the train.

There were a bunch of factors to it:

1. Canada still had drum corps back then

2. The Northeast still had a load of drum corps, whose fans and families were withing driving distance. In Finals alone, you had 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Crossmen, Garfield. North Star was in 13th. For the Northeastern fans, Montreal was much more accessible than Birmingham had been.

3. A ton of corps competed. There were 39 Class A Corps, ten All-Girl Corps, and 49 corps competing in Open Class (now called World Class). This was one of the last years before corps started dying off and the activity contracted in terms of number of corps.

4. In those days, you didn't have regionals where all the corps competed already. The Championships were the first time all the corps competed against each other.

5. There was a certain exoticness to it being in Montreal that added to its allure and you didn't need a passport back then to go. I know I really looked forward to visiting the city and not just going for the drum corps. I can't say that about Birmingham the years prior.

I think your point #5 had as much to with it as anything else. For the precise reason of your "Montreal vs. Birmingham" comparison. Nice touch.

Well, I don't think anyone's been arguing that DCI has lied about its attendance figures at any time. Instead, the points that have been raised are these:

--For older figures, as for Finals held in Montreal in 1981 and 1982, which are widely held to be the highest-attended years, it's not even possible to point to a release from DCI in support of such claims.

Not true. It IS "possible to point to a release from DCI in support of such ( attendance ) claims ". Not only can one point to that release, someone here can actually produce that requested DCI release itself for you. ( see above... DCI Finals Nite, '81 DCI attendance release to the public,... picture enclosed from the very nite itself .)

Edited by BRASSO