Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

A different type of "attendance". Here are the July numbers from Comscore on visitors to the DCI.org website. As you can see from the graph, July 2015 far exceeded July 2014 and even beat August 2014. Demographically, visitors skewed male and age 45-54:

11899780_10153334856794270_3301186984274

But is that because DCI Live is integrated into DCI.org, while the Fan Network had its own domain?

• Like 1

I disagree.

"Paid attendance" is where "paid" and "attendance" overlap. We only have numbers on "paid" in some cases and "attendance" in others, so the discussion has never really quite been about "paid attendance".

That said, what kind of difference do we have between "paid" and "attendance" in drum corps? "Attendance" counts a certain small percentage of attendees who did not pay to enter. "Paid" counts a certain small percentage of tickets that remain unredeemed at the gate. Is this a distinction without a significant difference?

I think for practical reality it is a distinction that should be only an asterisk, understood in each discussion, nothing more.

Glad you found that image! I was there, knew the number was high, but could not remember what the number displayed was. Thanks!

My, repeat . . . My actual experience has been this . . . . .

There is NO number, labeled as FINAL paid attendance, that is guaranteed to remain rock solid in any way, more than having just been designated as such. Things change, even days and weeks following an event. Even with today's technology, I can't have faith in anything flashed on a scoreboard, or stated, DURING an event. It's simply NOT that clean a process!

The scoreboard number was only labeled "attendance". The word "paid" was not used.

Are you sure about that last one?

(Granted, I have asked BRASSO where this number was published, and not received a response yet... so if that goes unanswered, your point stands.)

The 32,000 and change Paid Attendance number for the 1981 DCI Finals Nite in Montreal was posted by DCI up on the screen inside the stadium that nite. We estimated in our group 36,000-38,000 or so were there that nite but some in that 35- 36,000 no doubt were marchers in that attendance, not making finals too. I saw the 32,000 and change DCI number, my friends saw it, thousands of others in attendance there in Montreal saw it. That screen was photographed that nite too by someone in attendance. A few years ago that pic was shown again on youtube a few years back, for others see that figure as well ( not sure its its still on youtube today anymore ). After the Finals, DCI announced that their Paid Attendance, was 32,000 and change. I received DCI's newsletter back then, and that figure was provided to those who received the newsletter. Now.... this info I just provided is FAR more info than the 3-4 people who throw out conspiracy theories that are seemingly accepted by the vulnerable without a scintilla, nor shred of info to back up THEIR claims that DCI under previous leadership " exaggerated the numbers ".... or that " DCI numbers were not legit " (but we accept them today ? )... or that " I know an unnamed, anonymous, non Drum Corps fan, guy in a stadium that worked there 30+ years ago and he tells me that the DCI numbers were not !00% " ... and other unsubstantiated nonsense.. Look, we should accept the DCI numbers back then.. We should accept them today. Or... we don't trust DCI to give us truthful numbers as somehow they can't be trusted with giving us accurrate and truthful numbers. Since I'm not into silly, unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, I accept DCI's published Paid Attendance figures.,and ESPECIALLY those years when the figures certainly seemed to concur with my and my friends personal experience at the time. If DCI put up on the screen in '81 that there were 45,000 fans estimated in attendance, we would have rolled our eyes with that exaggeration. But they did not. They estimated an attendance that seemed about right to us., AND they published that figure of Paid Attendance 32,000 and change in a timely manner afterwards. So we saw no conspiracy by DCI at the time to boost the figures. We only now see 3-4 DCP 'ers out and about now, that want to initiate a new current conspiracy on the numbers and thus impugn the intergrity of Don Pesceone, DCI Executive Director, at the time ( who was respnsible for posting the numbers ), for apparently cooking the numbers back then. For shame.

Edited by BRASSO

It was 8 pages ago that I asked these, but the few answers got caught up in defining "attendance":

Here are my questions: Can anyone here point to definitive actions taken on the part of DCI that can be directly attributed to the increased attendance? Can anyone point to definitive actions taken by the member corps that could have increased attendance this year?

From a friend on FB

almost 36,000 at DCI Montreal in 1981! That's finals only people!!!

Well, I don't know your friend, but they were about right on the TOTAL in attendance, but the Paid Attendance was something like 35,000 and change.( still a good number for back then )

Edited by BRASSO

Sorry highest ever attendence was in Montreal 1981 scoreboard read 32.427 thats when the people were hanging out of the rafters :thumbup:

sorry was not there in 82 stand corrected

Well.... I think you might've seen it too up on the screen. ( you posted this in 2011, and I just found it )

35,000 or so was shown on the screen as Paid Attendance. A pic of it was on Youtube a few years back too ( but can't find it this morning )

Edited by BRASSO

The 32,000 and change Paid Attendance number for the 1981 DCI Finals Nite in Montreal was posted by DCI up on the screen inside the stadium that nite. We estimated in our group 35,000-36,000 or so were there that nite but some in that 35- 36,000 no doubt were marchers in that attendance, not making finals too. I saw the 32,000 and change DCI number, my friends saw it, thousands of others in attendance there in Montreal saw it. That screen was photographed that nite too by someone in attendance. A few years ago that pic was shown again on youtube a few years back, for others see that figure as well ( not sure its its still on youtube today anymore ). After the Finals, DCI announced that their Paid Attendance, was 32,000 and change. I received DCI's newsletter back then, and that figure was provided to those who received the newsletter. Now.... this info I just provided is FAR more info than the 3-4 people who throw out conspiracy theories that are seemingly accepted by the vulnerable without a scintilla, nor shred of info to back up THEIR claims that DCI under previous leadership " exaggerated the numbers ".... or that " DCI numbers were not legit " (but we accept them today ? )... or that " I know an unnamed, anonymous, non Drum Corps fan, guy in a stadium that worked there 30+ years ago and he tells me that the DCI numbers were not !00% " ... and other unsubstantiated nonsense.. Look, we should accept the DCI numbers back then.. We should accept them today. Or... we don't trust DCI to give us truthful numbers as somehow they can't be trusted with giving us accurrate and truthful numbers. Since I'm not into silly, unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, I accept DCI's published Paid Attendance figures.,and ESPECIALLY those years when the figures certainly seemed to concur with my and my friends personal experience at the time. If DCI put up on the screen in '81 that there were 45,000 fans estimated in attendance, we would have rolled our eyes with that exaggeration. But they did not. They estimated an attendance that seemed about right to us., AND they published that figure of Paid Attendance 32,000 and change in a timely manner afterwards. So we saw no conspiracy by DCI at the time to boost the figures. We only now see 3-4 DCP 'ers out and about now, that want to initiate a new current conspiracy on the numbers and thus impugn the intergrity of Don Pesceone, DCI Executive Director, at the time ( who was respnsible for posting the numbers ), for apparently cooking the numbers back then. For shame.

I just posted the scoreboard photo on this thread. Here it is again:

81Attendance.jpg
How does that reconcile with your account?