JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

Possibly, but I did march in a corps with an "old-school thought process". Yelling did get the message across, to us at least. At least for me, I respected my staff members so much, that I would never want to disappoint them by messing up and putting a sub-par product on the field, so if they yelled at us, I knew we had disappointed them. But we always put out better runs after having that fire lit underneath us. Just my .02

THIS. :thumbup:

• Like 3

Anyone who thinks that the staff needs to be revv'd up, and that the members need to run to sets and only take 3 second water breaks, etc, needs to go watch BD and Cavaliers work. No one yells, the members don't act like they're scared of wasting a second, and yet both corps get the work out of the members that they need in order to keep improving the product.

They treat the members like serious adults, and get serious adult response from them. If an instructor feels the need to yell at the members, it would seem to indicate that he or she didn't do a very good job of teaching and explaining the content the first time around. That was my experience when I marched, and it hasn't changed in the time since then. Good teachers know how to communicate, bad teachers know how to yell when their failed communications lead to failures of action.

• Like 3

I've never really believed that, either. I was always given 10 push-ups whenever we made a mistake. By day two, those 10 push-ups took next to no effort, so for the remaining 89 days of the season, dropping to do 10 was just a total waste of time.

What did you play? If you were carrying something like euph, those push-ups were conditioning. Trust me, they helped build the muscles to carry that thing. And the more push-ups you got, the more you learned to not make mistakes. Simple solution....

Anyone who thinks that the staff needs to be revv'd up, and that the members need to run to sets and only take 3 second water breaks, etc, needs to go watch BD and Cavaliers work. No one yells, the members don't act like they're scared of wasting a second, and yet both corps get the work out of the members that they need in order to keep improving the product.

I've actually been taught by Cavalier's staff members, and we had "gush-and-go" water breaks, and would be yelled at by the staff when we messed up, and always ran to our sets..... SO, what does that mean for your argument?

• Like 3

What did you play? If you were carrying something like euph, those push-ups were conditioning. Trust me, they helped build the muscles to carry that thing. And the more push-ups you got, the more you learned to not make mistakes. Simple solution....

Doing push-ups will not help you hold up a euphonium.

Z

Euph player.

• Like 2

Doing push-ups will not help you hold up a euphonium.

Z

Euph player.

It helped me.

Bone

3year euph player

• Like 2

So, what do pushups and the helpfulness of said pushups in holding a euphonium have to do with JD Shaw leaving as brass arranger for Phantom?

• Like 1

So, what do pushups and the helpfulness of said pushups in holding a euphonium have to do with JD Shaw leaving as brass arranger for Phantom?

Nothing. This thread has degraded from talking about wishing JD luck to bashing instructors from pretty much every corps, and how yelling at kids is wrong in drum corps.

I don't think Phantom will suffer much this next year. People said the drums would tank after Paul Rennick left, but they sure held their own this year. They'll be fine. Go Phantom!

They treat the members like serious adults, and get serious adult response from them. If an instructor feels the need to yell at the members, it would seem to indicate that he or she didn't do a very good job of teaching and explaining the content the first time around. That was my experience when I marched, and it hasn't changed in the time since then. Good teachers know how to communicate, bad teachers know how to yell when their failed communications lead to failures of action.

Also realize that learning is a skill to be developed and often people don't realize this so they get the skill of learning "yelled" into them. That's hwo it worked for me.

• Like 2

There is a difference between lighting a fire and verbal abuse. Yelling isn't evil as long as the content is controlled.

• Like 1