Officially announced. Cavaliers have a new visual designer.

For what its worth: (from Cavaliers.org)

Gaines Steps Down After 25 Years

Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 - 2:07 PM

By Christopher Lugo

After 25 years of involvement as a member, instructor and lead designer, Michael Gaines is stepping down from his role as the Visual Coordinator and Drill Designer for the 7-time Drum Corps International (DCI) World Champion, The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps.

"Of course this has been a difficult decision, but I've made sure that the corps is in an incredibly strong place before taking this personal break from the drum corps activity," said Gaines. "I've grown up with The Cavaliers, and I'm forever indebted to the organization and its leaders for taking a chance on me early in my career. I have nothing but the utmost respect for and the fondest memories of my mentors, colleagues, students and dear friends from the past and present. It's certainly been a wild ride!"

"We're completely supportive of Michael's decision," said President and Corps Director Adolph DeGrauwe. "He has given The Cavaliers, drum corps and the pageantry world some of the most innovative and creative productions of all-time, and we are blessed to have experienced his direction and vision for so long. It has been a privilege to work with Michael, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors."

In his letter to DeGrauwe and Koter, Gaines eased the concerns regarding his departure. "Let me assure all supporters and fans of the Green Machine that this is completely my decision, and I have nothing but love and affection for The Cavaliers and all the people who dedicate so much to this organization" added Gaines. "The members, the volunteers, the directors, the tour managers, the administration, the board, the instructional staff, and the design team are all wonderful people whose kindness and love to me has been quite overwhelming. It has meant so much."

Gaines closed by saying, "The Cavaliers always taught me to leave a place in better condition than I found it. I hope I have done that, and it is my sincere hope that 2012 is the best year ever for The Cavaliers!"

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

For what its worth: (from Cavaliers.org)

Gaines Steps Down After 25 Years

Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 - 2:07 PM

By Christopher Lugo

After 25 years of involvement as a member, instructor and lead designer, Michael Gaines is stepping down from his role as the Visual Coordinator and Drill Designer for the 7-time Drum Corps International (DCI) World Champion, The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps.

"Of course this has been a difficult decision, but I've made sure that the corps is in an incredibly strong place before taking this personal break from the drum corps activity," said Gaines. "I've grown up with The Cavaliers, and I'm forever indebted to the organization and its leaders for taking a chance on me early in my career. I have nothing but the utmost respect for and the fondest memories of my mentors, colleagues, students and dear friends from the past and present. It's certainly been a wild ride!"

"We're completely supportive of Michael's decision," said President and Corps Director Adolph DeGrauwe. "He has given The Cavaliers, drum corps and the pageantry world some of the most innovative and creative productions of all-time, and we are blessed to have experienced his direction and vision for so long. It has been a privilege to work with Michael, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors."

In his letter to DeGrauwe and Koter, Gaines eased the concerns regarding his departure. "Let me assure all supporters and fans of the Green Machine that this is completely my decision, and I have nothing but love and affection for The Cavaliers and all the people who dedicate so much to this organization" added Gaines. "The members, the volunteers, the directors, the tour managers, the administration, the board, the instructional staff, and the design team are all wonderful people whose kindness and love to me has been quite overwhelming. It has meant so much."

Gaines closed by saying, "The Cavaliers always taught me to leave a place in better condition than I found it. I hope I have done that, and it is my sincere hope that 2012 is the best year ever for The Cavaliers!"

the taking a break from the drum corps activity makes me think he won't be going to vanguard (or anywhere else). Read similar things on other resignation announcements though for people who ended up going somewhere else... not sure , I would guess he is really just taking a break but ya never know.

I know that 'tis the season for rampant speculation, but is this thread any less non-substantiated rumor filled than other threads? I know the original intent of the OP was to confirm that Mr. Gaines has indeed left Cavaliers, but so much of this thread has crossed over into "dopey rumor-ville."

Sad: in four pages of sometimes nonsense, I've read very little about Mr. Hinshaw's visual design style, what he will bring to Cavaliers, how Cavalier's visual look might be wildly different (or not at all), etc. Instead we revert to goofy rumors.

:thumbdown:

• Like 3

It'll be interesting for the cavaliers next year. I.remember reading that visual design was their weak point the last couple years? And cavaliers have been famous for visuals. could we see a big change in their style next year?

I know that 'tis the season for rampant speculation, but is this thread any less non-substantiated rumor filled than other threads? I know the original intent of the OP was to confirm that Mr. Gaines has indeed left Cavaliers, but so much of this thread has crossed over into "dopey rumor-ville."

Sad: in four pages of sometimes nonsense, I've read very little about Mr. Hinshaw's visual design style, what he will bring to Cavaliers, how Cavalier's visual look might be wildly different (or not at all), etc. Instead we revert to goofy rumors.

I was just going to post the same thing. I think Gaines is great. Certainly one of the best ever, but I have felt like it has been visual first at The Cavaliers for quite some time now. I am eager to see what they look and sound like with a different drill writer. Richard Hinshaw is pretty different than Gaines, but the guys knows how to write drill and he stages well. This could end up being a great breath of fresh air for the green team.

• Like 2

Seconded

Keep dreaming

I'm sure that will be heard soon.

I only have 2 concerns.

If Gaines is not going to be involved daily ... I'm not sure he will turn out his best product

Concern 2 ... I can't see JD SHaw rewriting a brass book to match what the drill writer needs to finish the visual phrase. Major Conflict right there.

I can't tell rather you guys are kidding or are being serious whenever you think up stuff like this.

Do you HONESTLY think thats what they do??

I'm the OP and I'm okay with the free flow of thoughts. You do bring up a great point: What is Mr. Hinshaw's visual design style? I've seen The Academy's shows and they're ok, but can he write at the next level with the expectations required? I hope! Also, I'm not too sure I know much about Avon's drill. I'm sure The Cavalier's design will be different as they're smaller and more skilled.

Anyway, Just thought everyone would like to know I encourage some speculation and being encouraged to **think** of the possibilities. Just keep it nice! thumbup.gif

I was just going to post the same thing. I think Gaines is great. Certainly one of the best ever, but I have felt like it has been visual first at The Cavaliers for quite some time now. I am eager to see what they look and sound like with a different drill writer. Richard Hinshaw is pretty different than Gaines, but the guys knows how to write drill and he stages well. This could end up being a great breath of fresh air for the green team.

As long as they don't lose their originality and become like any other corps. thumbup.gif