Random Encounters

I was wearing a DCI shirt one evening on vacation last week at the grand canyon. Went through the line at the general store and the girl at the register asked if I marched and she said she marched color guard. We couldn't talk a lot as there were other people in line, but it was nice to run into a fellow member of the community!

I got married on May 5th, 2012 but we didn't leave for our honeymoon until the day after. We decided to go to Las Vegas because it was fairly cheap (we paid for most of the wedding on our own) and it is close by. We got to the hotel, literally dropped off our bags in the room and headed right out to go and get something to eat because we where starving. Not even 5 minutes after we leave the hotel, we are walking down the side walk and out of nowhere, I see 2 people, one of which is pointing to my shirt and the other just says "HEYYYYY!!!!!" I only marched Phantom Regiment in 2006 but I was wearing my 2009 show shirt. As it turns out, they had marched Phantom Regiment back in the 80's (I was tired and still on my post wedding rush so I don't remember the exact years but the girl marched in the guard, and if memory serves me correctly, they where married). We talked for just a bit and then had to go our separate ways but we did give each other a big SUTA!!!

I love my Phamily!!!!

SUTA

• Like 1

Heh...the last time I drove to Vegas was about 2 years back (working a fencing tournament). I just get into the city limits and am looking for my exit, when a car pulls along side and 2 girls start yelling about Cadets ruling....obviously, they'd seen my BD license plate frame!

I had a run in just last week, and I forgot to report it. I am going into the local 99 restaurant for dinner before I went to jam with some friends, and I am wearing a Crossmen shirt. The hostess asks me if I march. Turns out she marched mellophone at Boston last year, but couldn't this year because she was going to Israel. Enjoyed that 20 minute conversation

I got married on May 5th, 2012 but we didn't leave for our honeymoon until the day after. We decided to go to Las Vegas because it was fairly cheap (we paid for most of the wedding on our own) and it is close by. We got to the hotel, literally dropped off our bags in the room and headed right out to go and get something to eat because we where starving. Not even 5 minutes after we leave the hotel, we are walking down the side walk and out of nowhere, I see 2 people, one of which is pointing to my shirt and the other just says "HEYYYYY!!!!!" I only marched Phantom Regiment in 2006 but I was wearing my 2009 show shirt. As it turns out, they had marched Phantom Regiment back in the 80's (I was tired and still on my post wedding rush so I don't remember the exact years but the girl marched in the guard, and if memory serves me correctly, they where married). We talked for just a bit and then had to go our separate ways but we did give each other a big SUTA!!!

I love my Phamily!!!!

SUTA

That may have been Garry and Jan. Garry is CrunchyTenor on here. And Jan marched in the early to mid 80's, however, I forget exactly when.

Next time you are in town, hit me up. I marched in 94. SUTA!

Congrats on the wedding!

• Like 1

That may have been Garry and Jan. Garry is CrunchyTenor on here. And Jan marched in the early to mid 80's, however, I forget exactly when.

Next time you are in town, hit me up. I marched in 94. SUTA!

Congrats on the wedding!

If Dasboot mean that the WOMAN marched Regiment, it might've been Jan. I know she aged out in 85, also marched against me in 84. I know she marched Geneseo prior, but don't recall if that was 82 or 83....but I think 83 was also a Regiment year for her.

Garry is not a PR vet...VK and SCV yes (a decade before Jan, tho)

It's possible DB found someone ELSE if they BOTH marched Regiment....

Garry???

Oh yeah....and DB? Congrats! We share a date...your wedding day was my 21st anniversary!

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

In April I was in Vienna, Austria and went into a music store. Imagine my surprise when I saw an ancient Trooper Corps jacket with a "for sale" sign behind the counter. I tried to get some information about the jacket, but, this was one of the few stores in Vienna where no one spoke any english. :tongue:

Back in 1996 I got a job a a major insurance carrier that has a presence in "All States". About a week after I started I found out my boss marched in Norwood Park Imperials. His sister marched in a drum and twirling corps called Vernell who's designer taught the twirling corps I marched in - Hi-Lighters (pre-Cavaliers). The designer's son was my drum sargeant in Cavaliers in 1974.

My boss and I used to trade drum corps stories and I'd like to relate a funny one. 27th Lancers were at the 1976 Wheeling Illinois show. Their equipment truck broke down and they borrowed the Cavaliers drums. My boss was in the stands at that show (he (friendly) hated the Cavaliers) and everyone knew that 27th had our drums. He commented that that's the best the Cavalier drums ever sounded was when 27th was playing them! :shutup:

Position Corps Score

1 27th Lancers 73.050

2 Phantom Regiment 72.850

3 Cavaliers 66.900

4 Marquis 65.800

5 Guardsmen 65.000

6 Fox Valley Raiders 49.600

7 Kilts 49.050

8 Pioneers 44.950

Edited by Cavie74

I was in Vegas back in March and ran into a bunch of 90's VK drummers who were having a mini reunion. I was in the Bellagio gardens and saw a couple guys wearing VK jackets. Went over a chatted with the group for a couple minutes.