The DVD has landed

Yeah, I personally really like all of that type of percussion impact stuff (concert bass, even the 'thunderous goo' or whatever people call that synthesized low bass impact), but I just assumed I was in the minority :tongue:

The best part is to hear the fast bass drum parts (with all the different tones). I think I was a drummer in a past life or something...

Yeah, I personally really like all of that type of percussion impact stuff (concert bass, even the 'thunderous goo' or whatever people call that synthesized low bass impact), but I just assumed I was in the minority :tongue:

The concert bass - sure. The synth - not for me thanks. There are a couple of corps I haven't bothered to watch because the goo got on my nerves in Allentown.

I'll be interested to hear the impressions on bluray vs dvd on the overpowering pit sound. To me there are serious balance issues.

@dsp fanatic

You are correct, if one company charges 170.00 for a piece of music ALL pieces of music must be paid the same, remember its for each piece of music, so if a corps uses 4 songs, its 170.00 per song, for ALL songs on the dvd.

12 corps times 4 songs equals 48 songs..

I have not spoken with anyone about this, but I know from a prior circumstance that if an organization pays a higher fee to one copyright holder, then that organizations is required to pay ALL copyright holders the same higher fee. And in that case, the product would be priced out of reach and $170.00 would be left behind in a trail of dust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow... You people are amazing. So quick to blame DCI. Do you REALLY think that DCI just CHOSE not to get sync rights for this stuff, bc of money? Do you really think they want to be answering the phone calls and emails from you people complaining about the black-out on your DVDs?

Trust me - they didn't get the rights bc they couldn't. Period. Honestly, the Scouts staff knew this was a possibility when they got permission to arrange, and chose to go ahead with it. When you get arranging rights, you usually can get a pretty good idea about sync rights. TRUST ME, they knew.

And don't blame DCI for "tricking" you into buying DVDs and then telling you about the rights issues. I am sure they tried until DVD production/distribution began, and finally had to make the decision that they did.

It is absolutely 100% the corps responsibility to make sure they pick music that won't have issues, in my opinion. Just bc DCI has to secure sync rights doesn't mean they are going to check up on corps repertoires in the spring and say "hey, you may want to re-think...". That's not their job.

I guarantee you won't see a DVD from the Scouts with the full show - I spoke with someone very close to the corps, and the sync rights were DENIED. Not TOO EXPENSIVE. DENIED.

Can I at least be displeased with the copyright owners who denied the rights with regard to an essentially non-profit activity?

Corporations sponsor and donate money to such activities all the time. Could they not have donated the rights or made them affordable for such a limited use?

• Like 1

I cant wait to order mine. The only real edit that makes me a little upset is the Cavaliers. But ill live (: I cant wait to get it and force my family to watch it !

• 1 year later...

Sorry to ressurect this old thread... I haven't read the whole thing...

I just got my 2012 BlueRay today and am having a problem playing it on my PC. My rig is high quality and only 6 months old (Plextor BlueRay using Cyberlink's included player, Avid's M-Box and DSM2 studio speakers, etc - a high-power power built specifically to watch drum corps).

The 2012 discs are saying that I have to upgrade Cyberlink to play the content but, even after updating, they still won't play. All my other Blair DVD's a BlueRay's play fine.

Has anyone else had a problem playing the 2012's on a PC? Could they be master-coded to only play on non-PC players?

Tom, are you reading here?

Appreciate any help or comments. It's Friday night and I'm bummed that I can't watch 2012. I have popcorn and everything!

:rock:/>

Sorry to hear that your DVD won't play. But since you resurrected the topic I must say I have grown to love the following shows even more:

Carolina Crown - a no brainer, I could watch this over and over or just listen to it over and over.

SCV - this show has grown the most on me. So musically put together.

Blue Coats - another great music show with emotion to boot.

and Phantom Regiment!

Ofcourse the first DVD never gets out of my player so I can't comment on the 2nd DVD. LOL