Closers for the Ages

Love the Scouts and Madison’s Maleguena, and it’s up there, no doubt, but “Danny Boy” defined 27th and never failed to elicit an emotional response from the crowd. I recall one evening at a local competition, either 1975 or 76, 27th performed an exhibition as a favor to the host which I believe was a local drill team. The crowds went wild as soon as the first strains were heard. Everyone was so enthusiastic, they performed it as an encore. Maybe I’m just sentimental and it touches my Irish heart, but 27th’s “Danny Boy” is my all-time favorite and I believe the best of all time.

I see your Danny Boy, and I raise you Malaguena. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The version of Scouts 1988 masterpiece might be the only time I can think of where a corps won a championship on the basis of one song. Fans stood and cheered like crazy the last 90 seconds to the point you couldn't hear the corps. I know that has happened at finals with other closers, but that used to happen with Scouts '88 during the regular season.

Besides, Wikipedia lists Malaguena as a "drum corps standard." It doesn't do that with "Danny Boy." :tongue:

"Originally the sixth movement of the Suite Andalucia by Ernesto Lecuona, who also provided it with Spanish lyrics, the song "Malagueña" has since become a popular, jazz, marching band, and drum corps standard and has been provided with lyrics in several languages."

Here are some of my favorite closers of the ages

1. 27th Lancer’s “Danny Boy” any year, but especially 1980 and 1982. In 1980, we were certain it would be a victory march at DCI and some of us still believe it should have been. Each time I watch DCI’s 1982 DVD and hear the guy in the crowd yell “Bring it home, Boston” and the crowd erupt as soon as the circle is completed, I long for the old days. However, what may be the best version could be the reunion corps’ version in 1994. It was at DCI at a venue many Lancers knew well: Foxboro Stadium where the Patriots played and back in the day 27th often performed at half time.

2. Spirit of Atlanta’s “Let It be Me,” not the 1980 version that is so beloved, and deserves to be beloved, but the 1978 version. Spirit is still new, they’re still climbing, and you can hear the effort in the sounds and sense a satisfaction that they know they are driving the crowds wild.

3. Madison’ “Maleguena” though I am partial to the 1996 “A Drum Corps Fan’s Dream” version. Speaking of Madison, I also love the 1977 “Somewhere” from “West Side Story.”

4. I can never decide which “Phantom of the Opera” I enjoy more: 1988’s second place finish or 1989’s victory performance, but Santa Clara Vanguard belted an ending few will forget. Speaking of Santa Clara, any year the “Bottle Dance” was included was a great closer.

5. To prove I’m not all “Old School,” I loved two great closers of this past year: Carolina’s Crown’s version of “Free Bird” was amazing and Phantom Regiment’s “Elsa’s Precession to the Cathedral” was a powerful ending.

6. Speaking of Phantom, in 1977 and 1978 did justice in slightly different ways to Beethoven’s Ninth. They integrated the guard into the performance in clever ways and gave new life to this honored classic.

simple gifts, Cadets 87/ SCV 09, 82 & 83

Fixed this for you.

There isn't near enough Crown 2011, Blucoats 2010, Crown 2010 in here...

Hahaha

1980 Spirit of Atlanta. "Let it be Me."

If you weren't there in person to see SOA do LIBM in ANY year, then shut up. You just don't know.......

• Like 5

1980 Spirit of Atlanta. "Let it be Me."

If you weren't there in person to see SOA do LIBM in ANY year, then shut up. You just don't know.......

Amen Brother! Easily one of the best closers ever.

• Like 1

Fixed this for you.

Thanks. The SCV '83 version has always stuck out as the better one to me, but the '82 one is still a good choice. SCV did a really goo job with Appalachian Spring before the Cadets came out with their full treatment of it.

No order just ten picks....

Santa Clara- Send in the Clowns,

Madison Scouts - Ice Castles

27th Lancers - Danny Boy

Phantom Regiment - Elsa's Procession

Cavaliers - Softly As I leave You

Spirit of Atlanta - Let it be Me

Santa Clara - Music of the Night

Star of Indiana - Roman Images show.

Madison Scouts - Malaguena

Cadets - Millenium 2000

• Like 1