What's with all the hate for BD

I'm just wondering why there are so many very conflicting opinions on the Blue Devils. Give your opinion, good or bad, on the Blue Devils.

The last BD show that I liked was the Godfather. Don't like the direction they took it from there.

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 6

I'm not a fan of their design choices, and what I feel their 'too cool for school' personality as a corps is. But I bet they're all nice people that definitely work hard and do what they do at a high level.

people get frustrated when [in their opinion] BD doesn't put on an entertaining show, because they are arguably the most talented corps every year and they always execute at an extremely high level. It's the same reason people spew hate at the Cadets when they come out with these weirdass shows that just make you go "wtf???"

BD obviously has the best design team in DCI from a standpoint of the sheets (only Cadets and Cavaliers have design teams that can really compete with BD). They are also loaded in talent. When you have huge potential, people expect a lot. They want to be wowed. And some people think that BD doesn't wow them like they should, and therefore think that BD is wasting loads of talent.

Also they tried to kill off DCI with their G7 proposal. But I think most of the "hate" is directed at the on field product.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

I honestly don't understand how people could call them a bad corps after placing top 3 for more than a decade.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to call BD a bad corps. Lots of people have issues with their competitive success using such inaccessible show designs. I thought they were incredible from 2000 all the way back to the 70s. The judges have pretty much liked them all along.

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 1

BD, I think more than any other corps, has mastered the art of designing shows to take maximum advantage of the judging sheets. The criticism some people have (varying from year to year) seems to be centered around this rather clinical approach, and the disappointment that they (the critics) feel because the show has been designed (so they say) with fan entertainment as an afterthought. I can bring up plenty of issues that *I* have with the way BD designs their shows, both visually and musically. I can also bring up plenty of features that BD does better than anyone else, every single year. Whether you love their shows or not, BD (99 times out of 100) will out-execute their opponents on the field. This is why they're always in the Top 5. I think too many critics take their lack of enjoyment of BD's shows and weigh that more heavily than the actual performance level they are witnessing.

What H said. Next topic please.

• Like 2