What's with all the hate for BD

Ok; (in your opinion) which directors in the origonal combine were really and truly altruistic who actually agreed with the mission, and who were the lying-conniving power-players who were two-faced toward the mission?

now thats a loaded question one Im not going to debate for 100 pages with others..lol...plus I would never attact someone from then out of respect..especially since many are not with us anymore...But you seem knowledgeable about the activity so questions or questionable acts of the past cant be a surprise..wheather you may believe them or not

Edited by GUARDLING

Since I've competed against the BD organization for years, and have some amazing friends in the organization, maybe I can weigh in on this one. I for one have nothing but the utmost respect for the corps and what they have achieved. What they've done on the field year in and year out is nothing short of extraordinary. To be able to come out every year as consistently as they have is remarkable. Is their product always going to be the fan-favorite, and have people jumping out of their seats? No, but sometimes that's not the goal. They have figured out how to design their shows a certain way that works for them and the judges, and more power to them. If the system works, why not use it to the fullest?

Now onto the whole "arrogance" topic, I think I can weigh in on this one as well. Yes, there is a perceived arrogance amongst Blue Devils members and fans, and some say it's deserved. Being that successful will come with a certain attitude. I think where people find the problem is the desire to show it off at any opportunity that gets under some people's skins. Wearing the rings outside of the gloves at shows, chanting out the years they win, taking the "you just hate us because we win" attitude, the "you just don't get our shows because you're not sophisticated enough", that's what I believe digs at people on here. It's great to win, yes. No one can ever take away a championship, but there really is no need to try and show it off at every turn.

There's the old saying I look to, "Be gracious in defeat, and humble in victory". That's something I think more fans would be wise to pick up on. It's cool to win, but coming on here and bragging about it all of the time just makes you seem like kind of a jerk, at least in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who has a championship under their belt, my ring lives in its box in a drawer, and maybe comes out once a year, if even that. Sure, it was cool, but it's not everything.

• Like 2

Haha! This would turn into a G-7 discussion!

Back to the topic:'

Well I for one LOOVE BD and there take all attitude to a point. Historically I love what they do, but this is a case where winning has become too big of a priority. I feel what erks fans the most, is how much they use to be about the fans in years past, and now they design for the sheets. It feels like they are not only alienating their fans, but also their history! The best analogy i can come up with is the founding fathers of the USA looking down at us shaking their heads!

They are in fact EXTREMELY talented, which is why I personally would love to see that talent directed towards me in the stands. I almost feel bad for the performers sometimes, they cant be immune to all of these comments, and I am not stupid enough to think that some of them dont check up on this site every once in a while. For anyone to say that it doesnt hurt to spend so many hours polishing a product only for someone else to bash it, is either an lying , or a total #####.

BD, I think more than any other corps, has mastered the art of designing shows to take maximum advantage of the judging sheets. The criticism some people have (varying from year to year) seems to be centered around this rather clinical approach, and the disappointment that they (the critics) feel because the show has been designed (so they say) with fan entertainment as an afterthought. I can bring up plenty of issues that *I* have with the way BD designs their shows, both visually and musically. I can also bring up plenty of features that BD does better than anyone else, every single year. Whether you love their shows or not, BD (99 times out of 100) will out-execute their opponents on the field. This is why they're always in the Top 5. I think too many critics take their lack of enjoyment of BD's shows and weigh that more heavily than the actual performance level they are witnessing.

I loved 2007 and 2008 (even though I agreed with Phantom winning in 08), but I can't stand 2009, and I've been so-so on their past two shows. It's all a matter of opinion. In my book, BD has their share of "under-rated" and "over-rated" shows, as does every other corps in the activity.

win.

• Like 1

I am quick to criticize a BD show that I don't like like 2005 or the butchering of Chanel One. But hey I have been involved with that organization for over 40 years now so I can. some of the show I like the best are ones that didn't win like 01 91 and 98.

I can take it though as i know I have done my share of bashing other corps' shows or just the corps in general.

Since I had a near death experience though, I have learned to look at other corps (and life in general) in a different light and am learning to appreciate them more.

I also have learned to listen to other points of view and try to weed through the emotional part and try to understand their meanings.

• Like 1

Being old school. I will say that the 1976 Blue Devils and their new uniforms was one of the greatest corps/show for that era and forever will be the big one for me. :worthy:

Thomas Salvatore

I personally don't believe there is a mass hatred of the corps, but I suspect what is perceived as hatred is a begrudging attempt to like a corps that does such a magnificent job of being so good, year after year after year, that it feels to some like the quality is being crammed down our throats. Sometimes it's difficult to love people or organizations that are so good at what they do, they make it look easy, while some other people or organizations look like they're trying so much harder because it appears they are putting more effort into the final product. Blue Devils are continually so polished that to some, they appear to be coasting by, when in reality, they work their tails off to make it look easy.

It's like Picasso drawing a few lines and an image appears that conveys the mood and sentiment of what he wanted to express. His line drawings were so simple, it looked to many that anyone could do the same thing. And yet, no one else did so because they weren't Picasso.

And no other corps is Blue Devils.

Pablo-Picasso-Head-Of-A-Woman.jpgOwl%20Pablo%20Picasso%20Print.jpgsw-70031.jpgFR2302.jpg60467770.jpgpicasso-pablo-owl.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

Since I've competed against the BD organization for years, and have some amazing friends in the organization, maybe I can weigh in on this one. I for one have nothing but the utmost respect for the corps and what they have achieved. What they've done on the field year in and year out is nothing short of extraordinary. To be able to come out every year as consistently as they have is remarkable. Is their product always going to be the fan-favorite, and have people jumping out of their seats? No, but sometimes that's not the goal. They have figured out how to design their shows a certain way that works for them and the judges, and more power to them. If the system works, why not use it to the fullest?

Now onto the whole "arrogance" topic, I think I can weigh in on this one as well. Yes, there is a perceived arrogance amongst Blue Devils members and fans, and some say it's deserved. Being that successful will come with a certain attitude. I think where people find the problem is the desire to show it off at any opportunity that gets under some people's skins. Wearing the rings outside of the gloves at shows, chanting out the years they win, taking the "you just hate us because we win" attitude, the "you just don't get our shows because you're not sophisticated enough", that's what I believe digs at people on here. It's great to win, yes. No one can ever take away a championship, but there really is no need to try and show it off at every turn.

There's the old saying I look to, "Be gracious in defeat, and humble in victory". That's something I think more fans would be wise to pick up on. It's cool to win, but coming on here and bragging about it all of the time just makes you seem like kind of a jerk, at least in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who has a championship under their belt, my ring lives in its box in a drawer, and maybe comes out once a year, if even that. Sure, it was cool, but it's not everything.

Wow. I had started up my response to this thread a few hours ago and just kept it saved on a Word document because I was going out somewhere and thought that I would finish it and post it when I got back. Well, I just got back and you said pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I totally agree with this post. You beat me to it! Right on.

• Like 1

This is for Big Bad Bari: For the record, I love the BD on-field quality. I adore their high execution and agree that they have earned and deserve each and every title. So, for me, my beef is a Gibbs issue not a BD issue.

Well, why not challenge him to a cage match or something or dis him on your next rap album?

Have you ever had a conversation with the guy about your point of view? I am sure he would listen very attentively and politely, before even more politely expressing a need to get back to working on actually running a program, one of the best in the world at serving youth in a particular niche, from just out of diapers until just out of college.

If you really want your opinion to matter to him... I can suggest you do one of the following:

a) Donate a significant amount of money to the organization

b) Create an organization that does a better job at doing what they do

Until, it is a pretty one-sided argument.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 2