What's with all the hate for BD

If a particular show doesn't 'wow' them, their response will be tempered.

I agree as well. If a show does " wow" them they'll give the Corps a rousing ovation... quite apart from placements, judges, Directors, etc.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I agree as well. If a show does " wow" them they'll give the Corps a rousing ovation... quite apart from placements, judges, Directors, etc.

Yup...my favorite shows just based on the shows I like, and are most often corps not in the top 6.

Anecdotal example...

Took my daughter to the Cadets Clifton NJ show the year the Kiwanis Kavaliers did "Miss Saigon"...they were her favorite corps at the show, as she has just seen it on Broadway. She didn't care where they placed.

the biggest part of the problem for Cadets, IMO, is Hop. People either:

a) hate the corps because of him

or

b) people assume because people hate Hop, they hate the corps.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I loathe Hopkins. His G8 powerpoint presentation that called for the killing off of Open Class Corps was a selfish, greedy act of inexcuseable hostility and hatred toward these Corps. It was pure " hate " in its worst form from him in my view. I'd put the BD Gibbs in this vein too as a POS and potentially lethal to the Drum Corps activity at large.. That said, The Cadets show this year was wonderful and I enjoyed it immensely and said so on numerous occasions on this site. The notion that when a Corps receives a rather tepid response to a show by an audience from coast to coast that it is because MOST people in these national audiences " hate " the organization or the Corps Directors, or marchers, etc is both simplistic and inaccurate in my view.

Just go to post #2 in this thread and replace BD with Cadets and Hopkins with Gibbs, and my feelings are identical. I do not hate the corps, love the performances, but hate the egoism and self-righteousness of the G7 proposal leadership whether Gibbs or Hopkins.

• Like 1

Yup...my favorite shows just based on the shows I like, and are most often corps not in the top 6.

Anecdotal example...

Took my daughter to the Cadets Clifton NJ show the year the Kiwanis Kavaliers did "Miss Saigon"...they were her favorite corps at the show, as she has just seen it on Broadway. She didn't care where they placed.

Yes. Some of my most favorite shows in any given year are unrelated to placements. I think this is relatively common with a lot of fans too, imo. Some of it is familiarity with the musical piece or the show theme too. I understand that sometimes other fans might have a more advanced understanding of the theme, or the musical piece than me and so its a little bit more familiar to them and thus they can relate a bit more to the Corps adaptation of it, or whatnot. We all look at the music and show themes through different music tastes, experiences, and so forth.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes. Some of my most favorite shows in any given year are unrelated to placements. I think this is relatively common with a lot of fans too, imo. Some of it is familiarity with the musical piece or the show theme too. I understand that sometimes other fans might have a more advanced understanding of the theme, or the musical piece than me and so its a little bit more familiar to them and thus they can relate a bit more to the Corps adaptation of it, or whatnot. We all look at the music and show themes through different music tastes, experiences, and so forth.

youre right...but thats the fuuny thing about our activity..we have so many who believe its black and white and its far from it......it is a very subjective activty...especially when it comes to design choices. So you watch what you like and dont watch what you dont like...should be easy huh?..lol....probably more the competitive side that gets to more people.

I've decided not to read any of the post here because of the "Victim like Heading". If you want people to love you throw away the victim hook.

I doubt anyone hates BD. Some of us just don't like them on certain years.

blasphemer! How dare you use logic and common sense in this thread! You've just killed their whole argument

( like many of us did too)