In the event of a major economic collapse...

A recession is when your neighbor is out of work.

A depression is when you are out of work.

Sounds right!

...or a depression is when your neighborhood is out of work... That also sounds right, too. sad.gif

A depression of the magnitude you're talking serves as a recalibration of almost all aspects of life. Drum corps probably couldn't exist in any form even slightly reminiscent of what we've known in the modern age. But it wouldn't surprise me if there were a resurgence of community-based music programs. Small scale. Cheap. Volunteer. The kind of thing that would boost morale and pride. People would be itching to rally around something.

and if you';ve had both?

you're in my neighborhood in the last 2 years

• Like 1

In related news. What say you of the doomsday prediction of 2012. How would this effect the drum corps activity? Does DCI have some kind of plan to protect itself in the light of nuclear holocaust? Any rumors of a secret bunker under Lucas Oil Stadium?

Isn't there some sort of decommissioned bunker in Maryland or Virginia that was built for congress in which the G7 purchased?

and a world wide financial collapse is when the credit cards and cash you have in your wallet don't " work ".

In a worldwide financial crash and national economic collapse, DCI would rank w-a-a-a-y down my list of priorities.

• Like 1

Up for discussion:

What would/could/should DCI do to prepare for a possible worldwide financial collapse? If the U.S. slips into another great depression, what does DCI do then? What if promoting/sponsoring a tour proves to be financially unwise for DCI? Would DCI and the organizations under it go dormant if need be or..???

Not to scare you guys or anything but I'm just positing a what-if due to the present economic mood/happenings/possible future happenings.

ha

If there's a "worldwide financial collapse" with the "US slipping into another great depression," then to be honest/blunt drum corps would likely be the absolute last thing on anyone's mind. I get the sincerity of your post, and it's worth talking about how drum corps have to prepare for economic rough patches, but it's almost laughable to ponder,

What would/could/should DCI do to prepare for a possible worldwide financial collapse? If the U.S. slips into another great depression, what does DCI do then?

In the grand scheme of things, drum corps is pretty far down on the list of priorities in the event of an international financial collapse!

• Like 1