A request for the Blue Devils

I agree. BD used to be able to win Titles primarily on the strength of their outstanding brass and percussion lines, and musical abilities. Then in the 90's the landscape changed... and the visual age of DCI came more to the front. For a period there, the Cavaliers visuals and Guard set the pace. The BD looked at what was happening and to their credit ( at least placement wise ) they did what you said... they recalibated their approach, and it has worked for them placement wise as a result. I can't fault them for this at all. Its pretty clear what is being mostly rewarded currently on the scoring sheets.

BD won 4 titles in the 90s, Cavies won 2 and you're arguing that the Devils changed their approach because of the Cavies success? Not buying it.

• Like 2

BD won 4 titles in the 90s, Cavies won 2 and you're arguing that the Devils changed their approach because of the Cavies success? Not buying it.

I thought the same thing. It CAN be argued that it took BD a long time to get a headwind after what Garfield helped start in the early-mid-80s, with what Cavies started doing with drill in the mid-late-80s, etc. But once they figured it out, man... 94, 96, 97, 99, 03, 07, 09, 10.

• Like 2

You don't even know how to have a civil discussion. As for "respecting the kids"? Yeah, your profile pic really shows "respect" for that Madison kid, doesn't it? You aren't fooling anyone. Oh and I never suggested that they not trust their staff either. Once again, putting words in my mouth.

I actually know the guy in said picture and he thinks its hilarious, and I guess you have never heard of a Meme before...or a sense of humor either. its ok to have fun you know, its just marching band :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

15584986.jpg

• Like 1

T shirts that don't fit anymore.....don't count! :tongue:

they do fit now. losing 60+ pounds works well. Except now my Godfather shirt is too big

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

they do fit now. losing 60+ pounds works well. Except now my Godfather shirt is too big

Well done Sir! :thumbup:

It always amazes me how, so often, former MM's go from looking like POWs to Major League umpires in a year or two... post age out.

Oh....and if BD wants to remain kings of 'chop n bop' why don;t they tackle this one...listen how chopped up this is....yet it still follows a very distinct musical line

Especially 4:35 - 5:49

Oh..and to the OP...your post reminded me when I took pen to paper and sent BD (WD and the show coordinator) hand written letters to ask them to return to playing hard-hitting jazz shows....still waiting for a response back... :blink:

we (northern alliance) played this in '89. We called it 'why not' I think. It's on youtube, 2nd tune of part 1.

Great tune!!

Well done Sir! :thumbup:

It always amazes me how, so often, former MM's go from looking like POWs to Major League umpires in a year or two... post age out.

good news for me is my age out would have been 1990, so I waited 11 years to go Eric Gregg.

Now I still don't weigh what I did the last year I marched in 96, but IMO, I was too #### skinny then

Just March a more complex show. Last years music was fine.

• Like 1

Dear Triple Forte,

Sorry for the delay in response. I recently found your note among some others under my ring box. I’d been meaning to read it for several years, but kept getting sidetracked with “new” ideas and arrangements.

Concerning your request to return to “hard hitting jazz shows”, as fortune would have it I am currently working on an “Oldies Show” which I’m sure you will love. It brings back all the old BD favorites (I won’t list here…as they are trotted out pretty regularly in DCP reminiscing). The visuals (although I know they’re not important) will revisit other wonderful memories such as….complete musical phrases, the phone, writing with a pen, TV on a TV, batons, garage bands, pleats, maps and marching xylophones.

Again, my most sincere apology for the delay, next time I’ll put your note under my Ott’s….oh, that won’t work either!

Keep those good ideas coming!

WD

I'll give you 2 points for creativity but...I am subtracting 3 points for predictability..your final score -1 point.

While I can certiantly offer up a line by line response...I wont. I will just simply say that they can have a jewelry store full of rings and a warehouse full of Ott's...doesn't mean anything to me. I have never said to myself...gee...let me listen to and/or watch that show that scored a 98.8 which won a championship. I like to be thoroughly entertained/excited by shows...and unfortunately...they haven't created a total show like that for this fan in quite some time. Like Jeff...I to have a fair amount of BD garb (Shirts, cd's misc.) from years gone by. But...I await patiently and hope they will once again become one of my favorite dci corps as they once were.

I think Your new sig should be

Plan9

(Director of Public Relations; Concord Blue Devils)

:rolleyes::tongue:

• Like 3