How Can DCI and Corps Engage us Next Couple Weeks?

That's just plain silly.

Cadets post every detail on the web and while there's been some negative commentary, the overall response is HUGELY in the positive. Why? Because fans like to feel part of the process -- even if it's only as an observer. And you want the fans on your side., right?

If a corps director thinks DCP is going to hurt them competitively....I'm not even sure how to finish that sentence without breaking some rule or other. Seriously?

If a DCI judge is going to be influenced by the pre-season speculation on an internet forum, I'd seriously question their ability in the first place. It's not like DCP is the only place a judge might hear drum corps gossip. Is the non-DCP gossip influencing their read as well? Because there's PLENTY of that stuff flying around that never hits the boards here.

oh stop being logical

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Right, though there is flexibility if there's no sale involved. This is where posting certain things on YouTube is actually ok.

Hm, I don't think the sale makes any difference, copyright-wise. Everything uploaded to youtube has to be properly licensed. That is, if I put a video on youtube, I have to promise that I have all necessary licenses required to upload that video. If it's just me talking and there happens to be a Nicki Minaj song playing in the background, I warrant to google that I have the proper license to that song.

Google will immediately remove the video if the copyright holder cries foul (makes a DMCA claim) and that will be the end of it. That doesn't make it legal, though.

No offense to all the contributors on this subject, but I really hate it that I know so much about copyright law now. What a shame it is that a few marching bands can't perform some tunes for a handful of fans live and on video without also having to perform legal and financial contortions. It's starting to feel like the end of civilization.

HH

• Like 4

No offense to all the contributors on this subject, but I really hate it that I know so much about copyright law now. What a shame it is that a few marching bands can't perform some tunes for a handful of fans live and on video without also having to perform legal and financial contortions. It's starting to feel like the end of civilization.

HH

Blame the internet. Publishers were fast and loose with these kinds of things before people stopped buying CDs.

Hm, I don't think the sale makes any difference, copyright-wise. Everything uploaded to youtube has to be properly licensed. That is, if I put a video on youtube, I have to promise that I have all necessary licenses required to upload that video. If it's just me talking and there happens to be a Nicki Minaj song playing in the background, I warrant to google that I have the proper license to that song.

Google will immediately remove the video if the copyright holder cries foul (makes a DMCA claim) and that will be the end of it. That doesn't make it legal, though.

Actually google will monetize that video for the copyright holder and split the ad revenue! I'm seeing fewer and fewer vids blocked by DMCA now that producers are getting a cut of the action. Of course the artists are probably getting none of that revenue.

HH

true, but welcome to the real wor$d

Personally, I think that if DCI wants to stir-up a little pre-season excitement, given that it is an election year, they only need to take a cue from the political world and plant a few subtle (or not) stories aimed at creating a buzz, and let the DCP community carry the momentum until the shows begin in June. It really wouldn't be all that hard...

"Reports from camp indicate that the Blue Devils may be planning a major alteration to this year's uniform; their plan is to include a three inch RED stripe on the LEFT leg of their uni pants. Insiders are saying this is in homage to the anarchists who inspired their Dada themed show. This move is considered by many to be one which could alter the direction of Drum Corps as we currently know it".

or

"A friend of the brother of the college roommate of a marching member of the Cavaliers let it slip that the all-male Cavies have in actuality been marching a female member in their brass section for the past three years! When asked, Cavies staff replied 'That was no lady, that was our mellophone player' ".

I don't know. Just a thought.

I think it'd be cool if each corps had a beat writer like sports teams do. Maybe have an article every few days talking about the corps progress throughout the season.

I thought that was Boo's job. C'mon Mike, let's get it goin'.

• Like 1

IF a corps kept the exact same staff for years and years OR if that same corps could plan ahead for several years, securing rights should be no problem.

But even the music that you had the rights for previously, in most cases, have to be re-applied for.

I believe it has come to the point where corps need a negotiating staff for music rights!

With older music selections, where the composer/writer/producer has passed on - who now owns the rights?

'Getting permission' has gotten very complicated! How will the music selection be arranged? That must be agreed on with the owner of the music. Getting permission to perform the music on the field during the season seems to be relatively easy. Audio recordings are another step. Video with audio recordings, along with whether or not it will be sold as a live stream, a file that can be accessed for a fee later or sold as a DVD can be a nightmare!

Then there is the cost! Yes, permission costs! Just as we negotiate for a new car or home, corps have to find the proper person to negotiate with. Signed, legal paperwork is written up, sent back and forth, until a use and a fee is agreed upon. We can be talking thousands of dollars per music selection! Where does that money come from?

...then, what do you do if the music selections just don't work out and you have to add some new ones? Start over with this process?

If it has gotten to the point where it takes a corps a year to secure all the rights that they need, then why don't more corps start planning their shows more than one season at a time? My guess is that they put themselves in this position by not starting to plan until late in the fall, then make a final decision on the show in the early winter, then start to secure the rights in the late winter/early spring - then repeat the following season.

• Like 1

If it has gotten to the point where it takes a corps a year to secure all the rights that they need, then why don't more corps start planning their shows more than one season at a time? My guess is that they put themselves in this position by not starting to plan until late in the fall, then make a final decision on the show in the early winter, then start to secure the rights in the late winter/early spring - then repeat the following season.

this was answered for you earlier, but...

why plan in July if that staff won't be together next year? in July you're focused on this year. You don't really have time to go and seriously plot out next year

• Like 1