How Can DCI and Corps Engage us Next Couple Weeks?

So for $119 a pop for the Blu-Ray of Finals and 3 corps out of 12 performances (25%) having issues where parts of their shows are blacked out isn't that big of a deal? I think that's pretty embarrassing actually (even considering that DCI put the disclaimer on the web page order form - still doesn't change what appears on the product).

Yes, "none of this stuff" affected the live performances, but that's only "ok" if everyone was able to see the live performances, which you're assuming with that statement. What about the people who order the videos because they are not able to go to any shows, and 25% of the performances on it are affected by rights issues? If that is their only way to view 2011, I wouldn't be too happy, especially if I were a Madison, Crown, or Cavaliers fan in that case.

"And I'm sure Madison's staff had a good faith belief that they'd get the sync rights well before the season ended" - really? How'd that work out for them?? Is that the smartest way of doing business?

I'd say this is a bigger deal than you are willing to admit, and If this happens in WGI as well, then I'd say they have a problem on their hands over there too...

then what do you suggest to get music publishers to be more willing to free up their works?

WGi stays pretty on top of what's required...here's the links and info they put out to the units...but even then they do tell you it's still no guarantee:

http://www.wgi.org/contents/Percussion-Copyright-Information.html

http://www.wgi.org/contents/Additional-Requirements-List.html

http://www.wgi.org/contents/Music-Licensing-Helpful-Links---Percussion.html

Criticism of a show concept really doesn't have anything to do with announcing a show early - it is going to happen whether a corps announces their show before the season starts or not, as not everyone will always like any given show. If a corps doesn''t announce their show, the criticism will just be delayed until after the first competition.

I still would never go see a movie without knowing the slightest bit of information about it, including the title. Why is it not a good idea for movie studios to do that, but it's ok here?

then no offense...but stay the #### home then

• Like 5

A better list :-) But not sure they still hit the all six points in the specs I posted.

And in any case (as NE Brigand pointed out) Madison had absolutely no reason to believe there was a need for a replacement. They clearly believed that the sync rights would easily be settled before it came time to start burning DVDs.

It was just a case of sh## happens and so it did.

There's no crisis.

There's no conspiracy.

There's no malfeasance.

There's no arrogance.

There's no disregard for the fans.

Just a bit of bad luck.

and let's be honest......the issue brought more attention to Madison, and made fans want to see it even more

• Like 2

then no offense...but stay the #### home then

No offense taken, but stay home and don't go to a movie that I don't know the title to nor anything else about it, just for the sake of going to a movie and trusting that it will be good no matter what? Gladly.

• Like 2

No offense taken, but stay home and don't go to a movie that I don't know the title to nor anything else about it, just for the sake of going to a movie and trusting that it will be good no matter what? Gladly.

well unlike a movie there is several choices at a drum corps show and a few oppurtunities to get get a hot dog, if you wish.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

The local annual ten-day film festival typically includes one screening of an unannounced title, and draws a decent crowd for that mystery movie. (At least that used to be the case several years ago, when I volunteered as an usher.)

so possibly not knowing what one corps is playing is enough to ruin your trip to a show?

really?

I then stand by what I said that you quoted.....stay the #### home.

I've gone to plenty of shows in my 43 years where I didn't know what corps are playing, and it didn't ruin my experience. Hell given how people write up their shows now, you don't know what they're playing.

So, you are saying you don't know if a drum corps contest is going to be good unless you know ahead of time what the corps are playing? Really? Then I would guess you are not a lover of drum corps. No offense, but, that's what I surmise. Because in 35 years of involvement in the activity, there has NEVER been a show I didn't enjoy. Not one. Does that mean I loved every part? Not at all - there have always been things I liked and didn't like. But the love for the activity and all it brings far outweighs the .... amplified singing, just to throw an example out there.

• Like 1

so possibly not knowing what one corps is playing is enough to ruin your trip to a show?

really?

I then stand by what I said that you quoted.....stay the #### home.

I've gone to plenty of shows in my 43 years where I didn't know what corps are playing, and it didn't ruin my experience. Hell given how people write up their shows now, you don't know what they're playing.

QFT.

• Like 3