Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

and if this ever were to come to be ( which im sure it wont ) who do you think would be the driving force...think about it...its not going to be the small guys. for those who fight for drum corps to be more main stream ( and it isnt ) should be very cautious what they ask for. IF...that ever came to be it would change the face of drum corps totally for good. Those who fight for tradition, entertainment ( subjective ) inclusiveness..forget it. You change all that and DONT expect to see drum corps as we know it.....If one thinks it AINT DRUM CORPS compared to BITD hold onto your seats if pro drum corps started...JMO

when you look at say MLB...who is the guy everyone wants to be?

Stenbrenner, the Red Sox, and maybe now teams like the Dogers, Angels, Rangers and Phillies.

tell me the last time KC or the Pirates came up with ideas to make the game that much more accessible to the masses? or that anyone looked at them for leadership.

I think that it could start with the drumline and eventually expand.

I teach the Minnesota Vikings Skol Drumline and we are professional rudimental drummers. We get paid and are sponsored by Best Buy. I believe that currently there are at least 20 NFL teams that have drumlines. There are also numerous NBA drumlines as well. We are very popular and well received by the Vikings fans.

The group is made up mostly of MBI and other corps alumni.

I could see in the next 5 years competitions developing between these groups as an offshoot of NFL branding.

There is a lot of time to fill on the NFL network :smile:

It might be the way to get the marching activity closer to the mainstream, but our shows as we currently write them aren't ever going to have that kind of popularity. They just are simply too artistic at times. You don't see orchestras or ballets on non-public TV either. We would have to sell our souls a bit. It would need to be something more geared to the masses and embrace all of the technology available. Even amplification and electronics :shutup:

Joel

MBI

Edited by MidwestGiant

when you look at say MLB...who is the guy everyone wants to be?

Stenbrenner, the Red Sox, and maybe now teams like the Dogers, Angels, Rangers and Phillies.

tell me the last time KC or the Pirates came up with ideas to make the game that much more accessible to the masses? or that anyone looked at them for leadership.

everyone strives to be elite.best of the best, numero uno....noone grows up striving to be 2nd place...if they want to admit it or not...this is why turn this activity into what some THINK it could be and kiss drum corps goodbye. put paychecks and trading into this activity and YOu think theres no loyalty now compared to BITD....WHEW I cant imagine......all thisis kind of silly though BECAUSE never will this activity ever come to be a pro activity...not as it is anyway

you're right...it's not a career. I mean how many Olympics did Michelle Kwan compete in?

:rolleyes:

Not a good example....she only competed in 2 (Nagano in 98 and Salt Lake City in 02)...she was the alternate in 94 at Lillehammer, but did not compete.

A better US example would be Peter Westbrook in fencing...every Games from 76 through 92 (where he was the closing ceremony flag bearer....that's 5 Olympic cycles (never mind the 80 boycott) and who DID make a career of his sport...the Peter Westbrook Foundation has produced some of the best fencers in the nation for decades...including medalists from the 08 Games.

Valentina Vezzali from Italy is supposedly a member of the Italian police, but that's pure BS, because no one could fence at her level (Look at her Wiki entry....YEESH! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vezzali ) wihout working at fencing full time.

and if this ever were to come to be ( which im sure it wont ) who do you think would be the driving force...think about it...its not going to be the small guys. for those who fight for drum corps to be more main stream ( and it isnt ) should be very cautious what they ask for. IF...that ever came to be it would change the face of drum corps totally for good. Those who fight for tradition, entertainment ( subjective ) inclusiveness..forget it. You change all that and DONT expect to see drum corps as we know it.....If one thinks it AINT DRUM CORPS compared to BITD hold onto your seats if pro drum corps started...JMO

I am all for the small guy (I strongly support the non-finalist WC corps as well as all of the Open Class); and I hold SDCA as well as DCNA in high regard. I just also think it a rather cool idea to possibly have an opportunity to see how adult "professionals" would push the drum corps scene to even higher performance levels than the Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, etc.... While I do not think that a professional "league" like MLB or NFL would be sustainable, an Olympic type format, with the best pros from around the world performing drum corps shows would be a real thrill in my opinion. Do I think it a cool idea; yes. Do I think there is actually enough support from fans or corporate interest to "pay" for those pros; nope.

Small drum corps association?

What the heck is SDCA and DCNA? You've mentioned those two acronyms twice.

SCDA is the Small Drum Corps Association

DCNA is Drum Corps North America

Both are organizations that support small regional Drum and Bugle corps