Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

Nope; perception is not reality. The truth is that SDCA does reflect BITD corps structure in between WWI and the competitive VFW days of the 50's/60's better than any other drum corps activity today.

not everything WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day , if you wanna go THAT FAR BACK is a good thing. If you wanna go back as far as you say pre WW2 or WW1 the SDCA wasnt like that either...they would be considered to contemporary and soooo not the original drum corps....hmmmm kinda like those who say "IT AINT DRUM CORPS" nowadays and for that matter everything post 1972

New to the DCI rulebook: Getting a judge caught up within a hockey type check yields an additional point added on to the final score.

Nope not DCI! :doh: Kids DO NOT TRY THIS IN COMPETITION! WE ARE PROFESSIONALS!

not everything WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day , if you wanna go THAT FAR BACK is a good thing. If you wanna go back as far as you say pre WW2 or WW1 the SDCA wasnt like that either...they would be considered to contemporary and soooo not the original drum corps....hmmmm kinda like those who say "IT AINT DRUM CORPS" nowadays and for that matter everything post 1972

Not saying that SDCA is exactly like those days (I mean origonal bugles had no valves), but only saying that SDCA is the closest thing we have within the contemporary drum corps activity which reflects the way local corps used to operate.

This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning.

However, I'll be a contrarian here. Yes, in theory, I think a professional drum corps can exist. The model is in place already: There are dozens of full-time professional orchestras in the US with budgets from 5-50 million dollars. They are non-profits. They employ union musicians and can boast of attendance figures well into seven figures. They own or lease their own concert halls and can command hefty ticket prices.

BUT, there is a critical difference between an orchestra and drum corps. Variety. Ultimately a professional drum corps would not look like anything we have today. For one thing, what would motivate an audience to return every week to watch the corps? A new show. Every week. The current corps model is not designed for that. And to produce a new show every week - heck, even every three weeks - would not, I dare say, produce anything of significantly better performance quality than a top DCI corps produces already.

Not to mention, how would we "judge" a competition in which every corps completely changes its program every week? So no, a professional league probably wouldn't work under the current expectations.

Edited by Ron H

This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning.

However, I'll be a contrarian here. Yes, in theory, I think a professional drum corps can exist. The model is in place already: There are dozens of full-time professional orchestras in the US with budgets from 5-50 million dollars. They are non-profits. They employ union musicians and can boast of attendance figures well into seven figures. They own or lease their own concert halls and can command hefty ticket prices.

BUT, there is a critical difference between an orchestra and drum corps. Variety. Ultimately a professional drum corps would not look like anything we have today. For one thing, what would motivate an audience to return every week to watch the corps? A new show. Every week. The current corps model is not designed for that. And to produce a new show every week - heck, even every three weeks - would not, I dare say, produce anything of significantly better performance quality than a top DCI corps produces already.

Not to mention, how would we "judge" a competition in which every corps completely changes its program every week? So no, a professional league probably wouldn't work under the current expectations.

I agree with your assessment and would add this: In the eyes of the majority of the public a drum corps will never be viewed artistically like major symphony orchestra. Drum corps will never get over the typical marching band stigma; and even if professionals were involved as performers drum corps will always be, in the eyes of the majority, as the touring version of "One time, at band camp...".

So; the issue concerning SDCA is not really about slick websites, or even great public relations, but whether or not SDCA is an organization which provides the services to local corps it says it does. And that answer is in the affirmative no matter what anyone wants to think about their lack of a professional looking website. And it is not a competitive circuit, nor is it for old farts, like Kamarag claims it to be. SDCA is exactly what it claims to be: an outlet for local corps to flourish in a manner harkening back to the way local corps did back in the day. No slick professional marketing; no slick professional public relations; just plain old grassroots people doing plain old grassroots drum corps. So why knock their lack of a professional website when they are providing a local corps outlet is all I am getting at.

if it provides services great.....but in order to promote those services, you need some good PR and a decent website. And, often times, a good website can help with those services, and also gets you good PR.

New to the DCI rulebook: Getting a judge caught up within a hockey type check yields an additional point added on to the final score.

Would should almost make up for the more-than-a-point drop in score resulting from the other judges up above who see it happen, not to mention a couple tenths from the judge checked on purpose.

Would should almost make up for the more-than-a-point drop in score resulting from the other judges up above who see it happen, not to mention a couple tenths from the judge checked on purpose.

:satisfied:

"Oops. I missed that really great moment in the drum book when I got ran over that you're trying to tell me about that woulda put your number into the next box. Maybe I'll catch it next time."