Contra vs. Cymbals

Who would win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. See first post below ...

Cymbals by far

Think giant throwing stars

I’d rather be armed with a baritone than a contra, I could throw that better and really swing it around - sure, I might have to land more blows but I would !!!

And the votes are flooding in! Six for each as of 5:20 CST! Forget the Wisconsin recall, your vote means more here!

Here's where I stand, at least for now. I've played both myself and am pretty acquainted with the properties of each. Gone back and forth quite a bit:

- Short-term melee: Cymbals have the advantage. If both players meet immediately with their instruments intact, I could imagine the cymbalist putting in more strikes. The contra master would have more for defense, obviously. There's also a slight chance that the cymbals would crack if unwisely wielded. The metal quality for both could be a factor.

- Skirmishes over a long-term: This is where the contra player might have an advantage. With enough time and shelter, you can re-assemble your horn into something less-awkward, or even multiple weapons (a club, shield and/or projectiles). The cymbal player would have less resources, although the ability to sharpen would be a definite plus.

EDIT: 12 days until the end of the off-season, FYI.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Some great points.

I'll add a few clarifications:

- You can use any part of your instrument, either as a blunt object or projectile (i.e. you can pelt your opponent with the mouthpiece)

- Smelting parts/all of your instrument is allowed

- The winner gets a nice gift certificate

So this deserted jungle island comes equipped with a smelter? Can the two adversaries just decide to smelt down both their instruments and make a glorious open fire waffle iron instead? Yum...waffles. (You never clarified why they desire to kill each other. Can't we all just get along?)

Waffles_4_24.jpg

Waffles: Promoting peace and understanding since 1572.

• Like 3

So this deserted jungle island comes equipped with a smelter? Can the two adversaries just decide to smelt down both their instruments and make a glorious open fire waffle iron instead? Yum...waffles. (You never clarified why they desire to kill each other. Can't we all just get along?)

Waffles_4_24.jpg

Waffles: Promoting peace and understanding since 1572.

Please, this is a serious thread discussing a possible direction our activity might take. Maybe not in the near future, but soon.

If our hypothetical competitors play it long-term and avoid eachother for several months/years, smelting could be possible.

Now finding ingredients for waffles? Don't be ridiculous. The omnipresent game-makers would never allow that.

Still 12 days until the first show.

• Like 1

Here's where I stand, at least for now.

Oh no! Another politician.

Not being a politician, I'll not change my vote and I've stayed at a Holiday Express. I will add that after awhile, if the cymbal toting combatant can do some rope-a-dopes the contra person will tire out swinging/blocking.

Edited by Ghost

Cymbals all the way.

Get burning hot in the sun for attack. Can use as a shield. Can throw easily and move quickly for attacks and defense. Contra is too big, not many sharp edges. IF the cymbal player has experience he can really mess-up someone's face with a cymbal crash.