Who is finished?

Interesting insight. So the prevailing philosophy today is to practice at full speed over and over, even if something is just totally not doable; not break down the problem areas and work your way up to speed? Those crazy cats! tongue.gif

I don't think this is true -- certainly isn't during visual blocks.

And as for the "we can only play it at tempo"...well...don't get me started.

I don't think this is true -- certainly isn't during visual blocks.

And as for the "we can only play it at tempo"...well...don't get me started.

No, go ahead. Get started. I would love to read what you have to say.

Only on DCP could a bunch of non Cadets lecture Cadet Alums on how to teach, clean, and perform Cadet drill. :rolleyes:

Edited by RetiredJedi
  • Like 5

you definitely can't slow down the tempo if the battery is playing (but they can in visual rehearsal). The battery is building muscle memory basically, and changing up the tempo will screw with that. That's corps don't usually start at full tempo at the beginning of the season. Battery learns it at a certain tempo, so the corps does as well... then weeks later, they bump the tempo up so the battery learns the new tempo.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Only on DCP could a bunch of non Cadets lecture Cadet Alums on how to teach, clean, and perform Cadet drill. :rolleyes:

Did you even read what I was replying to?

No one -- not the Cadets and not anyone else -- *only* practices something at full speed. That's ridiculous. When you're breaking down visual stuff you drop the tempo to a spot where the marchers can get through it. Then you build up. In 30 yrs I've never seen someone teach and or clean things *ONLY AT FULL SPEED*. It would be .. well.. stupid.

As for the battery *only* playing at tempo, yeah that's what's currently done. And it's CERTAINLY what every battery tech in the world would have you believe. And it's the ideal way to operate -- for them. "Dude it's written 192 -- it can't be played at 180". Oh yeah? Then why did the battery just drop the tempo 10 clicks at the last show? I thought it's impossible to do?!?

Like I said, don't get me started.

• Like 3

I recall rehearsing our drill in 1971 where we normally marched at 128, so we tried to rehearse it at 106. Sad to say, we all fell asleep half way through the run, so we had to abandon that approach. :tongue:

Instead of having a 'pileup', we had a 'laydown'. :smile:

Of course, that was back in the day of a VFW 10-point caption called 'Cadence' where we had to march between a rather narrow range of tempo....something like between 126 and 132, otherwise we got penalized. The corpreps.com 1971 VFW Nationals score page has the recap for that show...you can see the caption listed.

• Like 1

Did you even read what I was replying to?

I did.

When it comes to velocity drill - I'll trust the staff at Cadets to make the right decisions on how and what to do.

Drill - it's what we do. It has been for the past 30 years. We know what we're doing...

FWIW, I saw a corps rehearse this weekend (one that has a very different visual philosophy than Cadets. Like, THE MOST un-Cadet marching approach). When horns were on the field by themselves, they did "at speed" and then often reverted half-time ... playing.

Now, back to Cadets talking about Cadets talking Cadets. :music::smile:

And on topic, said corps will be marching a full show this weekend.

Edited by mingusmonk

I did.

When it comes to velocity drill - I'll trust the staff at Cadets to make the right decisions on how and what to do.

Drill - it's what we do. It has been for the past 30 years. We know what we're doing...

Spent a lot of time at Cadets rehearsals. Seen plenty of train wrecks. I've never seen them run a train wreck over and over without stopping to break it down.

But let's be crystal clear... your contention is that the Cadets run everything all the time in every circumstance at full speed.

Interesting.

I recall rehearsing our drill in 1971 where we normally marched at 128, so we tried to rehearse it at 106. Sad to say, we all fell asleep half way through the run, so we had to abandon that approach. :tongue:

Instead of having a 'pileup', we had a 'laydown'. :smile:

Of course, that was back in the day of a VFW 10-point caption called 'Cadence' where we had to march between a rather narrow range of tempo....something like between 126 and 132, otherwise we got penalized. The corpreps.com 1971 VFW Nationals score page has the recap for that show...you can see the caption listed.

Very cool! Didn't realize there was a requirement for that kind of thing "back in the day." Thanks for the history lesson! thumbup.gif