Who is finished?

The scores part is something I defintely agree with. If the show can stand on its own, even with some portion not there, or as was posted, a faux ending tacked on...fine. If not, there should be something said. Of course, given where scores are early season versus late, they might say they ARE doing just that. Without hearing tapes and talking to the judges, there is no way to know.

As for prop construction, I'm sure they'd rather have them all done and used from day 1. But I can't see them redesigning parts of their visual program just because the props aren't done on day 1.

they shouldnt redsign anything at all..I get not being done , its happend to me at times also BUT Score needs to reflect and we do have a double standard of rules and expectations in our activity...I think many times we as spectators DO expect to much in WHAT WE MAY WANT TO SEE and support todays corps 100% but the flip side is corps also have a responsibility and If one cant accomplish what they want, lets say to be resonable , in June, then if youre kneck to kneck with another corps , unfinished ( or at least the appearence of not finished ) needs to be reflected in the score. Like I said Ive been on the winning and losing side of that. So I understand the sting or the benefit either way.

• Like 1

Right I did march, so i know how hard it is to field any show at the world class level. Which is why im frustrated. They are the Cadets, with such an amazing staff, and the talent pool that they have to choose from is incredible. With that combination, I honestly believe that if you cannot complete a show by seasons beginning, you either shot too high, or have a management problem, and with my respect for the Cadets staff, I cant believe it was a management problem, or at least I really hope not.

Looking at your initial post, you should have no issue with the Cadets then, since they are doing an ending. Not the one they will be using later, but still...an ending.

• Like 1

I did. I disagree that there is a difference. Different drill does not equal unfinished drill. No one would even know if George didn't announce it.

If that proves to be true then I have no problem with it. If the show ends in within the time limits, and the end makes sense than I can go with that. But an abrupt end that makes no sense cuz its no the real end, or a standstill closer is neither complete or a finalized show.

Looking at your initial post, you should have no issue with the Cadets then, since they are doing an ending. Not the one they will be using later, but still...an ending.

As long as it makes sense and is within the time limits then i have no problem. Im not rooting against them or anything.

Right I did march, so i know how hard it is to field any show at the world class level. Which is why im frustrated. They are the Cadets, with such an amazing staff, and the talent pool that they have to choose from is incredible. With that combination, I honestly believe that if you cannot complete a show by seasons beginning, you either shot too high, or have a management problem, and with my respect for the Cadets staff, I cant believe it was a management problem, or at least I really hope not.

I understand your frustration, but I'll give you an example. In 2000, we didn't leave with our full show complete because of a few factors like:

1. We had other events we had to do as well as spring training.

2. We had a last minute change in housing sites.

3. Constant terrible weather.

Those are just a few examples of why sometimes a show can't get finished in time. I'm not really here to make excuses for them, but to give a bit of an understanding of why sometimes things like this happen.

• Like 1

they shouldnt redsign anything at all..I get not being done , its happend to me at times also BUT Score needs to reflect and we do have a double standard of rules and expectations in our activity...I think many times we as spectators DO expect to much in WHAT WE MAY WANT TO SEE and support todays corps 100% but the flip side is corps also have a responsibility and If one cant accomplish what they want, lets say to be resonable , in June, then if youre kneck to kneck with another corps , unfinished ( or at least the appearence of not finished ) needs to be reflected in the score. Like I said Ive been on the winning and losing side of that. So I understand the sting or the benefit either way.

Oh, I agree on the scoring. If the show doesn't make sense at the end, then their score should suffer, at least a little...in Effect, anyway. If the faux ending they are using at least provides a completion to the show, then at that point it just becomes a matter of how satisfying the overall show is.

And as I know you understand, if, say, the last 50 seconds or so of a show are 'iffy', it still leaves a lot of show that IS complete as designed, so their Effect score won't suffer all that much. its not like they'll go from a 15 to a 10 because a little of the drill is not done. At the first show last year, the Cadets GE scores were 13.8/15.6 Visual/Music while at Finals they were 19.9/19.8...so the overall rise during the season might cover up any small 'hit' an incomplete early show might have.

I understand your frustration, but I'll give you an example. In 2000, we didn't leave with our full show complete because of a few factors like:

1. We had other events we had to do as well as spring training.

2. We had a last minute change in housing sites.

3. Constant terrible weather.

Those are just a few examples of why sometimes a show can't get finished in time. I'm not really here to make excuses for them, but to give a bit of an understanding of why sometimes things like this happen.

Ya i get it. I really do. But i think its just the combo between the show, flag, and props not being done yet. 2 of those things should have been taken care of. I mean for rizzle, in 09 finals week we had that hellofa storm blow through with winds so stong that it blew over the scaffolding and destroyed most of our tables. We called in volunteers and had new tables completely rebuilt in less than two days. Bottom line, if nothing else, the props should be done.

• Like 1

Only on DCP could a bunch of non Cadets lecture Cadet Alums on how to teach, clean, and perform Cadet drill. :rolleyes:

Who is lecturing? rolleyes.giftongue.gif

• Like 2

you definitely can't slow down the tempo if the battery is playing (but they can in visual rehearsal). The battery is building muscle memory basically, and changing up the tempo will screw with that. That's corps don't usually start at full tempo at the beginning of the season. Battery learns it at a certain tempo, so the corps does as well... then weeks later, they bump the tempo up so the battery learns the new tempo.

I get the impression that's a "no-no"...

By George Hopkins

- Creativity can take time

-Show flags – one of them but not three of them.

Props – yes but no wheels and no paint and no decorations

Front and Rear Walls – not yet

Those all sound like staff issues – controllable issue. The staff let the fans and the marchers down by not being ready, not managing their timeline better

I understand that some years, things may happen but most often, it’s always the same corps that are not ready on time. I do feel its part of their strategy or perhaps their arrogance

For those that want to grow the activity and preach the selling point as it’s excellence, it’s not very excellent. And it is disappointing to the fans in the stands, not a very good selling point at all

The corps that are not ready at the first show should go on first and not get a score. They should not be judged at all, no feed back – they should be un-judged exhibition only.

• Like 4