CADETS NNJ DEBUT

... I think the only drum corps I've ever heard achieve a nice swing were BD, Crossmen, Madison....

Do you really think that? Cadets didn't achieve a nice swing in Moondance 2001 or Cool 2009? Cavies didn't swing the "Mile Davis" in 2002 or some of the Bond in 2004? Bluecoats not swinging at all? Just asking in case you cut your list short by accident!

HH

EDIT: I think I made a mistake. The Cavies' "Miles Davis" swing might have been 2000. Or 2001? No, it was 2000. I think.

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

Do you really think that? Cadets didn't achieve a nice swing in Moondance 2001 or Cool 2009? Cavies didn't swing the "Mile Davis" in 2002 or some of the Bond in 2004? Bluecoats not swinging at all? Just asking in case you cut your list short by accident!

HH

Don't forget that Wynton Marsalis piece Cavies played in 2006.....well, maybe that's not a good example of a "nice swing", but I still loved it.

They're playing Jingle Bells and Carol of the Bells. Granted, they're playing exceptionally difficult arrangements with lots of drum corps cliches thrown in. But still, what musician on these forums hasn't played dozens and heard hundreds of arrangements of them? I guess the bar is pretty high for me with holiday music: the arrangement has got to be pretty darn interesting and exceptional to hold my attention. "A Fresh Aire Christmas, Part Cadet"

That should have been the name of this year's show! :laughing::laughing:

just seems like all frosting and no cake.

What struck you as interesting about the music book? The swing section probably came the closest for me.

But the frosting is the best part! :laughing:

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

What struck you as interesting about the music book? The swing section probably came the closest for me.

I like when drum corps take simple melodies and extrapolate them in new ways. So to me taking the 3 note motif of carol of the bells and turning it into 3 minutes of music is VERY cool and interesting to me. Love the creativity of the parts. I like how I can recognize it and yet have it be produced to me in totally different ways each time without it being redundant.

I really liked the swing section for it's intensity and the ballad is very beautiful. I can say that the beginning of the closer so far doesn't really do it for me in the "interesting" category but the end of it is classic Cadets.

• Like 1

Seems to work for the Blue Devils, could work fine for the Cadets?

:spitting:

Man after last years show I thought they would start playing interesting stuff. Now it feels like that part of the year I avoid at all costs.

Hot dog Time!

It's June 12. No show you see today will be the same come finals. I'm sure they already have rewrites in the work, tweaks, changes, additions, deletions.....while Jungle bells doesn't have me jumping at the moment, i NEVER rule out what this corps can do by August.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXKWKaxt3c

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this all summer...

so you'll be the Cadets version of Plan9.

I was kind of hoping COTB would be more Trans Siberian Orchestra....

Yep, the closer is going to be pure nitro! I don't like the transition from 1:40 to 3:00ish--not sure what they're going for there, but the finish to Carol of the Bells is cool. The swing section is pure Cadets. They'll get the stands rocking on that one a la Moondance and BWBB. It should be fun!

PS I understand the need for the unis to be white, but I'm missing the maroon and gold big time. To me, it just does not seem like the Cadets.

Edited by wallace