Weekend scores not announced until Monday night

Maybe they would announce the scores if they made everybody at the show pinky-swear not to disclose them prior to the broadcast! :tongue:

pinky-swear.jpg

and a violation puts any offender on double secret probation !

Based on the DCI.org article, once again scores will not be released until the Cinecast (which is 630p local time -- so East Coaster's will undoubtedly spoil the suspense for the other timezones).So I was curious -- do they tell the corps anything at all? Do you just get your tapes? What's the deal? Obviously they don't tell corps staff the scores (because NO MATTER WHAT) it would leak. Someone would tell their best bud who would post it on FB which would go to twitter and soon enough appear right here on DCP.

Yes, upon further reflection, I don't think its much of an issue now either. And if it leads to conversation, speculation, etc on who might've won and maybe a few more theatre goers on Monday nite, that seems to offset any downsiode to not getting the scores till the theatre show, imo. Like some others, I watch mostly for the enjoyment anyway, and the scores, while very important, are secondary to that.

So, who decides that the theater goers rate higher than the people in the stands the night of the show regarding when the scores are announced? I have not seen any mention anywhere in the advertisement for this show that the scores are not going to be announced, and I would guess that more than a few show attendees, who know it's a competition and then do not find out who won, will be a little miffed.

I will certainly enjoy the performances, but this just doesn't seem right, b/c part of the show experience is finding out how the corps placed.

After I started crafting this, I saw the "format" on dci.org, so I'll amend my gripe - how will this play to the show attendees who don't frequent dci.org? I do, and didn't know about this "format" until i read this thread.

So, who decides that the theater goers rate higher than the people in the stands the night of the show regarding when the scores are announced? I have not seen any mention anywhere in the advertisement for this show that the scores are not going to be announced, and I would guess that more than a few show attendees, who know it's a competition and then do not find out who won, will be a little miffed.

I will certainly enjoy the performances, but this just doesn't seem right, b/c part of the show experience is finding out how the corps placed.

After I started crafting this, I saw the "format" on dci.org, so I'll amend my gripe - how will this play to the show attendees who don't frequent dci.org? I do, and didn't know about this "format" until i read this thread.

DCI...

Looks like they're trying to sell an event at the movie theaters for those who can not be there in Akron...

The goal is to make $$.

Really? Man it's been a tradition to stay until the last note/score at least here for the last 41 years I have been attending shows. Things are different now days I suppose.

Have you been to local shows lately flammaster? (even DCI events and Finals)

It's become all to common for people to stand in the lot and listen to their favorite corps warmup, go to their seats in time to see the corps on the field and then leave when that corps was done. Gotta spend time with their corps.

I want my money's worth at the shows I go to and will stay until almost everyone has left the parking lot (don't need to beat the rush home in the parking lot either).

IMO there is an alarming number of people who come just for their favorite corps (or the corps their family member/friend/neighbor is in) and then they get up and leave.

OR the stands are half empty until the largest of the corps take the field (won't even use the word champion or finalist, because some of the smaller corps are very exciting to watch!), then people seem to come out of the woodwork and squeeze in for the final 2 or 3 corps shows.

....just my observations.....now back to the topic.......

...I want my money's worth at the shows I go to and will stay until almost everyone has left the parking lot (don't need to beat the rush home in the parking lot either)....

IMO there is an alarming number of people who come just for their favorite corps (or the corps their family member/friend/neighbor is in) and then they get up and leave.

OR the stands are half empty until the largest of the corps take the field (won't even use the word champion or finalist, because some of the smaller corps are very exciting to watch!), then people seem to come out of the woodwork and squeeze in for the final 2 or 3 corps shows.

....just my observations.....now back to the topic.......

When I go to a show, I want to see EVERY corps. This has been an issue for as long as I've gone to shows and I can never figure out why people don't watch the full show lineup, or at least most of the lineup...

To those who come in late, "Thanks for the extra space!" tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

do you really go to a DCI show to find out which corps placed where? or to find out if they are going to score an 84 or an 85 that night? The first is generally a given, and the latter doesn't make any impact on how you enjoyed the shows.

So people won't want to see a show and all the corps in that show if they know the scores/placements ahead of time? Good thing DCI doesn't sell tapes/DVDs of previous years then! Oh wait...they do? Nevermind.

I know they want to supposedly build suspense, but why do the people at the show get gypped out of hearing scores at a competition? Seems silly and annoying. It also tells the people in the stands that they're unimportant. Gotta figure that 90% of the people at a show aren't on DCP, so now they have to go search for scores for a show they were at 2 days prior?

Does no one else see how ret@rded that is?

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

Really? Man it's been a tradition to stay until the last note/score at least here for the last 41 years I have been attending shows. Things are different now days I suppose.

I stay for everything as well, but I look around and it is quite obvious that not everyone hangs around except perhaps the raving fan base.

I guess now days you can leave and then go home and find out the scores online so as to beat the rush out of the lot. Makes a lot of sense actually.