Akron Alehouse

After all of my Youtube surfing I can confess I have no idea because nobody can really tell the true picture from online videos. They really can't...... Even the "Experts" - - - Really!

If I had to guess I'd say:

Cadets - around 72-73

Cavaliers - Around the same

Phantom - Around the same but a hair lower

Bluecoats - just a nuthair lower but not for long.

Crown - about 2 points under Bloo despite the killer hornline which will be heads and tails above the others according to the hype.

Blue Stars - about 10 pts below Crown but will have the prettiest blue drums there.

• Like 2

Tekk my fiend, I feel for you. So in your honor, when I get back from the show (2.5 hour drive) in your honor, I'll write the best review of a first show ever written (with all due respect to the immense writing skills of our friend Boo). It will be such a great review, you will feel like you were there.

I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do on short notice. I wish you were going, and if you were, I'd be proud to sit with you. :cool:

That just brought a tear to my eye.

I don't see the problem with a reduction in subcations for an incomplete show, perhaps .2 penalty per relevant subcation. If the guard book is incomplete, take .2 from the guard score, if the drill is incomplete, take .2 from the visual execution, etc. This idea isn't much different than the timing and penalties rules that currently penalize a show by .2 if a show is too short or too long. Really, a show that is too short is, by definition, incomplete. By the same standard, a show that is too long, is incomplete and will be revised (or the corps will continue to earn a penalty).

Yes, it is a tragedy that a corps can come out scoring a 72, when the last 2-3 minutes of their show is a standstill. The bigger tacit issue is that the same corps gets the nod from the judges when the show is complete, and gets a generous bump in the scoring relative to other corps--in other words, the spread becomes larger. That is not right. That scoring "bump" isn't given to non-Top 12 corps, why should it be given to Top 12 corps?

• Like 2

I just picked up my ticket. Upper stands halfway up on DM's left as he faces the corps, about the 45 yard line.

I'll be wearing a WVU cap (flying WV) and wearing whatever corps shirt I buy when I get there. There ought to be a pretty good selection! :thumbup:

My prediction: I really, truly don't care what corps gets what score. I'm not usually a fan of June shows, but this line up is just too good to pass up. Rank order? I don't care who is 1,2,3,4. I'm watching drum corps, I'm having fun.

Life is good. :cool:

Upper deck, just to the right of the 50 facing the field, 10 rows up. I'll have on either my '93 Bluecoats "Standards in Blue" or '99 Phantom "Tragedy and Triumph" shirt (don't think the wife would let me wear any of my really old ones... :shutup: )

All those coming from out of town...welcome to Akron!!!

FWIW

NO CLOSER, MISSING FLAGS; and all that goes with opening night An Essay

By George Hopkins

Let’s bring the suspense to an end. The Cadets have tagged on a “faux ending” to the program for this weekend. If you would like to see the real deal in terms of ending, you are going to need to be in Martin, Tenn. on Wednesday, June 20.

We gave it a try, but in the end, speaking for me, it became about NOT insisting on being right, and doing what is best for the members and the team. Tough to do because after 30 years being right can be a big deal to me! (Not that I am proud to say so.)

If you know our endings, this year is 50 seconds of 200 beats per minute, and yes, every person in the world expects Jeff Sacktig’s ending this year to be better than anything they have ever seen. And as I have come to learn:

- Creativity can take time

- Teaching and performing 18 pages of drill at 200 bpm is not something you can do two days before the show.

So, after praying and hoping, I saw reality and followed the suggestion of the team and we are cleaning what we have, we tagged on a few counts and well, we live with reality and not the dream.

After all, the most important thing are the students. They need to be safe and this drill is not always safe when you know it. Last year, we had a kid knocked out in a show and even aside from injuries, to have the corps out there running around, barely able to maintain for 50 seconds at the end of a show that is already demanding, is, well… foolish! As a director it is foolish to get done when getting done means being stubborn and insensitive to the members we serve.

Yes, we would love to be ready now. This was not the plan. But, to let you inside, this WAS NOT the easiest show, this IS NOT the easiest show to put together. We have tried a few different angles and approaches and some have not worked all that well. And for those who know me, the programs at the Cadets that I am involved with tend to be overtime. Why?

Well, I am just undisciplined I think. We love all of the music. We also want each caption to have their day, and we add on and change and slow down and add again. AND, that overtime eventually has to be dealt with. Indeed, we dealt with 20 seconds today, and that is knowing that timing penalties do not kick in until July.

So for Saturday and Sunday

Ending: Not yet

Image BlockedShow flags: One of them but not three of them.

Guard uniforms: Yes (Thank you to Dance Sophisticates simply amazing!)

Props: Yes but no wheels and no paint and no decorations

Front and Rear Walls: Not yet

Let’s face it. We are off Broadway… far off! We take a little time. We wait to see how the crowd reacts and what they react to. Did that transition work? We need to feel the audience. SO, in many ways, we do develop as we move along and with sixty days on the road there is much to do and much to learn.

Speaking for me, the performance level of the corps is excellent. I was startled when I first got on tour as to the advancement. Congrats to members and staff.

As for placement we do not know.

What I do know, is Christmas is turning out to be a good season and if we can just get it to snow in the dome --- we have a shot :-)

• Like 2

FWIW

NO CLOSER, MISSING FLAGS; and all that goes with opening night An Essay

By George Hopkins

Let’s bring the suspense to an end. The Cadets have tagged on a “faux ending” to the program for this weekend. If you would like to see the real deal in terms of ending, you are going to need to be in Martin, Tenn. on Wednesday, June 20.

We gave it a try, but in the end, speaking for me, it became about NOT insisting on being right, and doing what is best for the members and the team. Tough to do because after 30 years being right can be a big deal to me! (Not that I am proud to say so.)

If you know our endings, this year is 50 seconds of 200 beats per minute, and yes, every person in the world expects Jeff Sacktig’s ending this year to be better than anything they have ever seen. And as I have come to learn:

- Creativity can take time

- Teaching and performing 18 pages of drill at 200 bpm is not something you can do two days before the show.

So, after praying and hoping, I saw reality and followed the suggestion of the team and we are cleaning what we have, we tagged on a few counts and well, we live with reality and not the dream.

After all, the most important thing are the students. They need to be safe and this drill is not always safe when you know it. Last year, we had a kid knocked out in a show and even aside from injuries, to have the corps out there running around, barely able to maintain for 50 seconds at the end of a show that is already demanding, is, well… foolish! As a director it is foolish to get done when getting done means being stubborn and insensitive to the members we serve.

Yes, we would love to be ready now. This was not the plan. But, to let you inside, this WAS NOT the easiest show, this IS NOT the easiest show to put together. We have tried a few different angles and approaches and some have not worked all that well. And for those who know me, the programs at the Cadets that I am involved with tend to be overtime. Why?

Well, I am just undisciplined I think. We love all of the music. We also want each caption to have their day, and we add on and change and slow down and add again. AND, that overtime eventually has to be dealt with. Indeed, we dealt with 20 seconds today, and that is knowing that timing penalties do not kick in until July.

So for Saturday and Sunday

Ending: Not yet

Image BlockedShow flags: One of them but not three of them.

Guard uniforms: Yes (Thank you to Dance Sophisticates simply amazing!)

Props: Yes but no wheels and no paint and no decorations

Front and Rear Walls: Not yet

Let’s face it. We are off Broadway… far off! We take a little time. We wait to see how the crowd reacts and what they react to. Did that transition work? We need to feel the audience. SO, in many ways, we do develop as we move along and with sixty days on the road there is much to do and much to learn.

Speaking for me, the performance level of the corps is excellent. I was startled when I first got on tour as to the advancement. Congrats to members and staff.

As for placement we do not know.

What I do know, is Christmas is turning out to be a good season and if we can just get it to snow in the dome --- we have a shot :-)

Well... i'm still interested into this show. I love Christmas music so hopefully this ending will be great in Tennessee!

• Like 1