Drum Corps at the Movies

Since others are predicting, here's my choices based on show potential, news that has leaked, and videos that have surfaced. I am not being biased. I'll be glad for whoever is on top and feel bad for the corps in sixth place because this is a top notch roster.

1st and 2nd will be a battle between Phantom and Crown. Phantom has a show with perhaps the greatest potential this year, at least on paper. Turandot" can work for a drum corps, Puccini's music can stir a heart more than most composers. Of course a corps can choose music with great promise, but at times it can be hard to live up to the promise of the music. Crown is hungry for a title this year, and perhaps no corps is better at positive publicity than Crown, so this may not be that objective sounding to some, but Crown does seem to hit the ground running in the early season so I predict they will fare well.

3rd: I'm going with Bluecoats. They're a solid corps, reports sound favorable, and they're seasoned competitors. I'm also sure they'd be more than happy to return to the top 3 again at finals and will want to be competitive from the get go.

4th and 5th: Cavies or Cadets. Cavies videos do not look as strong as last year at this time and the guys look awfully young, but Cavies can and have surprised people before and will no doubt do it again. Cadets could have the feel good show of the year, and I love the new uniforms, but will the show have the impact needed? Of course I also thought "Angels and Demons" was not going to be their strongest show and by August I was eating my words.

6th: Blue Stars: I'm not writing Blue Stars off this year, and believe they will be a finalist, but Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Bluecoats, and Phantom could very well be five of the top six at finals.

Edited by Tim K

Never been to a movie DCI event and all of the Theaters are a good 30+ mins away that are showing it. Is it worth the drive? I hear a lot about cancellations and such.

if you want to watch drum corps in June, it's a great way to see the shows. They come across well on the big screen, IMO. I've never had an issue at the theater, and 30 minutes doesn't seem very far if you want to see some drum corps!

• Like 4

if you want to watch drum corps in June, it's a great way to see the shows. They come across well on the big screen, IMO. I've never had an issue at the theater, and 30 minutes doesn't seem very far if you want to see some drum corps!

Agreed!

Don't go if you would get cranky at minor sound problems, poor video editing, possible color balance problems, or "incomplete" shows. if you are just itching to see some good drum corps or you're a big fan of one or more of the corps in the show, do go. If the money and time spent means you will miss out on seeing a live performance of any sort don't go. If you have family or professional obligations that you would have to cancel don't go. If you are a mad fan who can't wait to see some drum corps check out YouTube and you can hear about 85% of the music and see some of the drill. If that gets you less hyped don't go. If it gets you more hyped do go.

Personally what I've heard of Crown, Phantom, Bluecoats, and Cadets has me salivating to see the show. I cannot wait!

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Never been to a movie DCI event and all of the Theaters are a good 30+ mins away that are showing it. Is it worth the drive?

Yes.

I will be at the Montgomery, AL theater. It is the first time that I can recall any drum corps event being shown in the Gump. Kinda worried about how it will go but it sure beats a 2 hour drive elsewhere to see it especially since I work in Montgomery and commute an hour each way to work already.

Well Harrisburg, PA Regal theater will be showing but only PR (public relations not Phantom Regiment) is a sign in the lobby. LOL, got a new phone and the first text/pic msg I got was from my sister saying "We're waiting in line at the Regal and....." with a pic of the sign. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to see the pic bigger... yeah more bells 'n whistles on this phone.

But cool first msgs is corps related.....

I'm going. In and of itself that's not an amazing feat because 20+ theaters in my area are showing it but I am taking 3 people who have never seen Drum Corps so I get points for that.

• Like 4