George Hopkins

Hello... this is a discussion forum. Let's not pretend I'm interrupting a private conversation. What is MikeD doing to push so hard for woodwinds aside from voicing his support on an internet forum? And more importantly, are woodwinds THAT imminent in DCI. i.e. Is his support working?

Well, since he's always beating that drum, I'm asking what is the reasoning? Why change drum corps when marching band already exists? Why the need to eliminate a unique activity that has its own identity?

I doubt you're in a position to speak on his behalf, so that's why I was directing it at him.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I Never Want To See A Woodwind In Drum Corps! BUT! I Agree 100% With George!

Great counter points! Excellent Podcast!

Edited by boxingfred

But...drum corps and marching band should not be almost the same thing. That is precisely one of the many reasons that things are messed up.

But they ARE the same thing. You go out on the field, march your show for 11 or 12 minutes, then the judges give you your scores. The differences between the two are merely technical. If the current model is too restrictive, then adding woodwinds would be the smart move to truly broaden the appeal of DCI to the other half of the music spectrum.

• Like 1

It has been my experience with both high school and university bands that many, if not most, woodwind players only march out of "necessity" to stay within the music program. So, would the advent of woodwinds in DCI actually increase the performer base to the extent that Hop dreams about?

SO What? Hopkins has been saying he's okay with woodwinds for awhile, but they haven't appeared yet. So why ##### and moan about it so much? People get to express their opinions, but they're just that- opinions. Not actions. George may say he wants them, but no one else is agreeing with that, and there have been no rule proposals to add them. So, no need to freak out about it.

I could say that I want to see corps have 300 people and have it all be low brass, and add trombones, but one person saying they want something isn't going to make it happen in DCI. It's just one person's opinion

• Like 2

I Never Want To See A Woodwind In Drum Corps! BUT! I Agree 100% With George!

It's the opinion of many, that George has more often been the problem than the solution.

• Like 1

Drum corps isn't very unique at all. In fact, drum corps and marching band are almost the same thing.

The woodwind debate simply comes down to personal preference and really not a lot beyond that. People fighting for change and people fighting against it are two sides of the same coin. The motives behind their opinions are often the same: I want things to be the way I like.

We should switch that argument to what would be the best for DCI, and I don't think remaining a niche activity is the way to go. Opening it up to a wider audience is usually a great way to gain more customers. This is the principle behind free trade. Reduce barriers to reach more customers.

I just don't see how adding WWs is opening up the activity to a wider audience. The WW players are already part of the audience. THe marching world is our audience. We aren't going to open it up more by adding more people from the marching world.

Marching band will never be mainstream. It's too much work for the average person to get into. I don't know. I just really don't see how WWs puts more butts in the seat. We don't need more marching members. Corps cut hundreds of people each year. If anything, I can see DCI losing a lot more butts by adding WWs.... rather than adding any. Fans YOUNG and OLD feel the same as I do. In fact everyone I personally know who is a fan or has been involved in the activity except for maybe one or two people share my view. Might not be that big of a sample size for you... but by the outrage on DCP every time this topic comes up, I'd say we are a strong majority.

I just cannot see how adding WWs would allow the activity to reach more customers...

• Like 1

It has been my experience with both high school and university bands that many, if not most, woodwind players only march out of "necessity" to stay within the music program. So, would the advent of woodwinds in DCI actually increase the performer base to the extent that Hop dreams about?

Huge generalization, and not one that I've actually observed. Gung ho marching programs are loaded with woodwind players and I wouldn't be surprised if many would jump at the chance to participate in the highest level of marching arts.

• Like 2

Well, since he's always beating that drum, I'm asking what is the reasoning? Why change drum corps when marching band already exists? Why the need to eliminate a unique activity that has its own identity?

I could be mistaken, but the only time I ever see him beat the woodwind drum is when someone else starts a thread about woodwinds. He's not actively advocating that DCI change. He's not out there campaigning and making woodwind buttons. He's just voicing his opinion and support should the activity go that route.

Which brings me back to my point that the activity is NOT going that route.

So why do we freak out about it every friggin' year?!?!

IMO, it's just an a convenient topic for doomsday predictions, end-of-drum-corps-as-we-know-it prognostications, yearly Hopkins-hating, and curmudgeonly my-era-was-better-than yours crap.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow if and when woodwinds ever become a reality in DCI. But Hopkins voicing his opinion isn't going to tip that scale. Posting support of it on an internet forum sure as #### isn't going to either.

SO What? Hopkins has been saying he's okay with woodwinds for awhile, but they haven't appeared yet. So why ##### and moan about it so much? People get to express their opinions, but they're just that- opinions. Not actions. George may say he wants them, but no one else is agreeing with that, and there have been no rule proposals to add them. So, no need to freak out about it.

I could say that I want to see corps have 300 people and have it all be low brass, and add trombones, but one person saying they want something isn't going to make it happen in DCI. It's just one person's opinion

just one person that is so outspoken... when "Hopkins" (in quotes b/c he was the most vocal and got most of the blame) tried the G7 ploy, he had 6 others on board. Can you say there aren't other's on his side of the woodwind issue also?