Jersey Surf 2012 Bridgemania

"The phone call" yesterday was great. Hope "mom" continues to call the rest of the summer. The ditching of the coats pre show was cool, but seems like a waste to just wear them to enter the field. I do think the "change" is better earlier than where they had it early season.

While I really do appreciate all the fun the MM's are having pleasing the crowd, I do hope the staff can maintain enough focus to clean the show. They seem to have made some strides in the last 2 weeks. That is simply because the higher they can place, the more attention this show will get. I really want them to make the cinema Thursday night! Does anyone know for sure what that cut off is? top 15? 18? I don't remember.

• Like 1

"The phone call" yesterday was great. Hope "mom" continues to call the rest of the summer. The ditching of the coats pre show was cool, but seems like a waste to just wear them to enter the field. I do think the "change" is better earlier than where they had it early season.

While I really do appreciate all the fun the MM's are having pleasing the crowd, I do hope the staff can maintain enough focus to clean the show. They seem to have made some strides in the last 2 weeks. That is simply because the higher they can place, the more attention this show will get. I really want them to make the cinema Thursday night! Does anyone know for sure what that cut off is? top 15? 18? I don't remember.

i thought it was 15 but not sure...also thats what made Bridgemen so special not only did they choose to do what they did they did it at an extremely high level...fantastic in all areas....they not only would entertain they showed you can also tecnically be good at it also

i thought it was 15 but not sure...also thats what made Bridgemen so special not only did they choose to do what they did they did it at an extremely high level...fantastic in all areas....they not only would entertain they showed you can also tecnically be good at it also

Very true, and hopefully a part of what the staff is teaching as part of the tribute. You have to imagine that the kids could easily lose concern and focus for pleasing the judges when the crowds are giving them so much love.

Very true, and hopefully a part of what the staff is teaching as part of the tribute. You have to imagine that the kids could easily lose concern and focus for pleasing the judges when the crowds are giving them so much love.

Trust me, I marched in some drum corps that were about the epitome of 'playing for the crowds and not for the judges' (see my signature). There's no way that they should lose focus because of that. Because, above all, you're playing for yourself (as I'm sure they all know), and if every performance is not as good as it can be, there's a problem...

very good question,,ive wondered this myself.....a tribute doesnt go on for years

They've done some fun shows even in Div II...their School's Out show is one of my favorite shows of the 2000's...they did the Vegas/Elvis show after that, where the corps wore Elvis hair! I hope they keep up the fun. :thumbup:

They've done some fun shows even in Div II...their School's Out show is one of my favorite shows of the 2000's...they did the Vegas/Elvis show after that, where the corps wore Elvis hair! I hope they keep up the fun. :thumbup:

I remember how fun they were in Div II - but when they made the move to World Class, they started doing the typical serious minded shows and kind of lost their way (IMO). I'm happy to see where they are going with this year's show and hope that they keep this style in the coming years!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

Last night I was in a nostalgic mood. I attended Mission Drum in Lynn, MA and the Bridgemen Alumni corps performed, and paid tribute to the 27th Lancers by playing "Danny Boy" and invited former members of 27th and Defenders to join them, so just before bed I watched a few Bridgemen shows on DVD and I was struck by something that always strikes me when I watch the Bridgemen: their shows are clean, precise, and they are always on top of their game. I think back in the day it was easy to not see this when you got caught up in their shows. Hey, who am I kidding? My favorite corps back in the day were 27th, PR, and Madison, in that order, so I didn't want the Bridgemen to be too precise or on top of their game!

Now as far as Jersey Surf is concerned, I have no question that whatever they will do next year will be competitive. It may not be as popular as this year's show, though I wouldn't count it out. Jersey Surf has been steadily building a solid corps, has taken calculated risks that have paid off, and should be applauded. As I, and many others have noted in other posts, Surf's tour is a bit more ambitious this year and I'm impressed with their show. It has enough Bridgemen favorites to make it a tribute but enough original music and actions that say "We love you Bridgemen, we thank you for what you've done, and if you were around today, this is what you would do." I think there will be a great deal of interest generated from this year's show and next year they'll have an easier time with recruitment, fundraising, and the like. My hope is that we are on the verge of seeing competitive corps that can always be counted on for solid entertainment, in the style of Bridgemen, North Star, Dutch Boy, Velvet Knights, Sky Riders, and early Star of Indiana (85-88), though if Surf does a Star tribute, I hope they won't wear the funky wigs/ headpieces, or whatever they were.

I've also been told Bridgemen alumni love the show. That's even better than the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval!

• Like 1

Love, Love, LOVE this show. So do the thousands of fans in the audience who appreciate a FUN show for a change instead of all that "avant garde" crap being shoved down our throats in the name of "art". Give me some talented musicians dancing their ###e$ off while creating incredible sound on the field ANY TIME!!!!! I agree with the Blogging Guy on Drum Corps Network---- the Surf should be on Big, Loud, and LIVE this year---- people will be talking about this show coming out of the theater!! Jersey Surf Rules 2012!!!

• Like 1

Agreed. Unfortunately, they're only allowed to perform once a day. I think they should have a pseudonym and come back in exhibition as a tribute corps to the 2012 Jersey Surf "Bridgemania" show.

It's a darned shame that the performance order is predetermined based on previous standings because SOMETIMES the most entertaining shows (those that get butts out of the seats throughout the performance) happen so early in the show that there aren't enough of those butts in the seats. Based on pure entertainment value, the Surf 2012 Show should be on LAST. It is that much fun!!!!!!!! Even if the Surf doesn't stand a snowball's chance of cracking the Top Ten, it is Number One in a lot of people's book, and should at least have a shot of presenting this show in front of the largest crowds. i like the idea of having the Surf perform after the last corps performs, right before the winners are announced. I'd stick around!!!!!!!

Love, Love, LOVE this show. So do the thousands of fans in the audience who appreciate a FUN show for a change instead of all that "avant garde" crap being shoved down our throats in the name of "art". Give me some talented musicians dancing their ###e$ off while creating incredible sound on the field ANY TIME!!!!! I agree with the Blogging Guy on Drum Corps Network---- the Surf should be on Big, Loud, and LIVE this year---- people will be talking about this show coming out of the theater!! Jersey Surf Rules 2012!!!

Turandot, Christmas music, Luck Be A Lady, Phantom of the Opera, Pines of Rome, Mahler 1, Organ Symphony, Rite of Spring, Firebird, All By Myself...since when did all of this (and more) become "avant garde crap?" Also, for the record, that term does not mean "stuff I don't like." Also, how could you honestly not like most of the things I listed? I'm seriously curious.

Just to be on topic, I think Jersey Surf has a fun show this year. I think they have the potential to be the next Velvet Knights. Now, hear me out on this, because I know the Velvet Knights still exist. DCI always seems to have one "fun" corps - a corps that puts out a show designed to get people clapping, cheering and laughing, but while still executing at a high level and placing very well. For a while, this corps was the Bridgemen (70's through 80's). Then, the Velvet Knights showed up (80's through 90's). What I'm trying to say is, maybe it's Jersey Surf's turn to be the new "fun" corps. Give them some time to build up a bit more talent, and we could see them pulling a VK and throwing in everything PLUS the kitchen sink!

• Like 1