Boston Crusaders 2012 - BAC

• 2 weeks later...

I have not posted in here in 10 days...shame on me!

BAC...I really enjoyed your performance at the MetLife stadium in exhibition! I was so glad to see you LIVE twice this season (a-town as well). I've watched every performance on FN this season and have definitely been drinking the cool-aid...lol. You guys are indeed GIANTS! There are some really great photos of the corps on Facebook this season...I recommend everyone checking them out.

The theater performance today was awesome as well. Only two more great performances to go....Keep up the great work and pop a 90+. You haven't peaked yet!

----------------

While I'm thinking of it...I thought I'd include Boo's blog here from today's prelims in Indy:

Michael Boo: I love how the corps enters the field from all four tunnels.

8:55

Michael Boo: Ryan George, the corps' brass arranger, said that musically the thought of this grand opening segment was to try and create as much tension and anticipation as possible by using a long, singular development throughout the entire production, (like the intent of the original work). It was also the opportunity to set the grand and epic nature of the show up right off the bat.

8:55

Michael Boo: The corps is now entering out of the tunnels, but hasn't started to play yet.

8:57

Michael Boo: This is a GLORIOUS way to start a pre-show.

8:59

Alex Mendoza: Yep. That's a titanic sound for sure, and breathtaking to boot.

8:59

Michael Boo: Boy, the staff that cues Brandt Crocker sure has to time his announcement perfectly in order to nail the turn-around and big hit.

9:00

Alex Mendoza: Seems to be having some slight issues with distortion in the speakers on Side One.

9:00

Michael Boo: The opener is a combination of three works from Resphigi's Roman Trilogy; "Pines of Rome" (mvt. 1), "Roman Festivals" (mvt. 1), and "Fountain of Rome" (mvt. 3).

9:02

Michael Boo: No, those brass stabs are NOT the "Conquest" calls. Patience, Grasshopper.

9:02

Alex Mendoza: Trumpets nailing those double tonguing rhythms with ease, plodding along the field with a sense of grace and poise.

9:03

Michael Boo: The backfield section now playing continues the thread of long, epic development first used in the pre-show.

9:03

Alex Mendoza: Represented by the extension of a long, light-red cloth that matches the slow-burning ascension of the brass melodies.

9:04

Michael Boo: Only three hours left in this marathon pageantry event.

9:05

Alex Mendoza: Guard members use it as an effective staging tool, their ivory-white uniforms offerring a calm visual presence.

9:05

Michael Boo: A human pyramid is formed from male guard members as the top of the horn pyramid extends beyond the elimination of the lower brass on a long chord.

9:06

Alex Mendoza: The musical section with the grand build we previously discussed is from "V for Vendetta", during the scene where Natalie Portman's character undergoes a dramatic transformation - representing an ascension, or epiphany of self-sufficient strength.

Michael Boo: The 4th movement is the "Queen of Belkis" segment. And HERE is where you hear the six note "Conquest" call.

Alex Mendoza: The battle-oriented melodies suggest the Titan is in a power struggle with another equal to its own strength.

9:07

Alex Mendoza: The show is built upon moments of musical grandeur, massive as the aforementioned Titans of Ancient Greek mythology.

9:07

Michael Boo: I was wondering why I felt the floor of the wood floor I'm sitting upon vibrate, and then I realized I was tapping my foot quite strongly.

9:08

Michael Boo: The Mahler introduction to the closer is the same as heard at the beginning of the pre-show. Like in the pre-show, it's used as a "call" to bring forth grandiose ideas.

9:09

Michael Boo: And grandiose those ideas are. (I think I just descended into Yoda-speak.)

9:09

Alex Mendoza: The all-male rifle line is one of the strongest points of the corps, always placed right where the audience can witness their daring feats of choreography, handling those rifles as if they were extensions of their own body.

phpuZ5j1VIMG_1072.jpg

On the big screen, they seemed to have marched better last night. Just don't know if they can find areas where they can add enough points (after comparing recaps) to pass the Cavies since they will also be improving. Staying ahead of Madison is a worthy goal.

Edited by Ghost

On the big screen, they seemed to have marched better last night. Just don't know if they can find areas where they can add enough points (after comparing recaps) to pass the Cavies since they will also be improving. Staying ahead of Madison is a worthy goal.

It's all in the show design at this point. Boston field coverage / demand / show design should bring Boston over Cav's.

It's all in the show design at this point. Boston field coverage / demand / show design should bring Boston over Cav's.

That would be nice, but since the design has been basically the same for some time, that seems not to be the case. Previous posts have mentioned that the 'Saders have better results in the domes, but that may not be the case beginning in Atlanta.

San Antonio: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=84ec591d-6c98-4d00-af9a-3749ae2da331

Atlanta: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=03b03088-fcc6-4ea5-bf34-5b2a1d3de0ca Cavies guard has gained in guard big time.

Prelims: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=5f186909-1ed4-4a7f-bd47-02ef4a2f18fd

Might come down to how the judges see things and I have no knowledge, like others, as to what a judge's history is.

Just perform at your best Boston and you'll be rewarded.

Edited by Ghost

Alex Mendoza: Seems to be having some slight issues with distortion in the speakers on Side One.

Side One is left from the audience's point of view, correct?

In cinemas, there was a occasional sounds of speaker crackling on the other side. I thought it was a problem with either the feed or the theatre, but then Rondinaro or DeLucia mentioned hearing it live. Presumably this hurt Boston's GE or Music score a little.

That would be nice, but since the design has been basically the same for some time, that seems not to be the case. Previous posts have mentioned that the 'Saders have better results in the domes, but that may not be the case beginning in Atlanta.

San Antonio: http://www.dci.org/s...9a-3749ae2da331

Atlanta: http://www.dci.org/s...34-5b2a1d3de0ca Cavies guard has gained in guard big time.

Prelims: http://www.dci.org/s...47-02ef4a2f18fd

Might come down to how the judges see things and I have no knowledge, like others, as to what a judge's history is.

Just perform at your best Boston and you'll be rewarded.

The judge thing, i try to stay out of and you are right baring no big screw up on boston part, judges might reward boston show as they did last year. Boston has done a great job this year all around in every area ( improvement). With out excuses. Have a great day and (say hi to yellow bird).

I think Boston has my favorite overall show of the year. Very nice show design and music!

I'm partial to any Corps that plays their way onto the field utilizing their own musical instruments in the pre show. And if you actually MARCH onto the field for the preshow, well you'll just about knock me over with THAT. And if a Drum Corps finishes their show with the playing of "the drums and the bugles ", well its an Ode to Joy for me. I can't help myself. I'm partial to marching in Drum Corps instead of dancing in Drum Corps. Its in my DNA and probably will be until the good Lord calls me home.

• Like 3