How weak is the Cavies Show?

I'm still in the process of slotting the corps, so if anyone wants to contribute to my Porsche fund, there's only another week to do so. Everyone knows that once I finish the slotting process, it would take an act of Congress to change the results.

:sarcasm:

Post Deleted

Edited by FaustianMachine
  • Like 2

I never thought of that but it's a great point! While I made my reply to Jeff Ream's "G7 leaving" comment and inserted my "target practice" comment in jest, I really don't think the G7 would leave. Mostly because I don't believe they have the ability or resources to do it. If they did, they would have already done so because "having their own game" (paraphrase) was all part of the plan to begin with...but it failed. DCI bailed them out with the TOC compromise (nice to know the G7 is grateful for that).

But even more interesting is your thought. It would be interesting if the whole plan fell apart due to a corps (or maybe even a couple of corps potentially) falling out. And wasn't this what many people argued when the G7 plan became public? Recall comments to the effect of "just because a corps was in the top 7 or 8 last year doesn't meant they will be the next year"...and "isn't it false advertising to call it the 'top 7' or 'top 8' if one or more of the corps are not so in the current year."

Here they are...trying to market themselves as the "almighty 8 best corps in the world who can sell all the tickets and keep butts in the seats". Yet, two years straight now...one of those corps is still a "up and get a hot dog corps" and even more sad is that this year's is the Cavaliers. The system is already failing. With the Cavaliers and EVEN the still uncertain Boston Crusaders, those TOC shows are no more elite than many other shows out there. I'd think Muncie was just about as of an "elite line up".

I digress...you have brought up a great point about the Cavaliers. I do see them out of the top 8 this year. I might eat those words later but if I don't, there could be further changes in 2013 that may crush the mighty G7/G8 plan to an embarrassment.

I dont think Cavies are as deep in the G7 stuff as some thing....the Old Man is still alive.

As for the rest of your post...you make sense. good old fashioned common sense. However good old fashioned common sense and some DCI directors have not gone hand in hand for a long time

• Like 1

Having seen Cavies a few times already, I have some thoughts I'd like to share.

Concerning the design of the show: I feel it's similar in style to what they have been presenting for the past few years, with the exception of Gaines drill writing. I think that what can't be overlooked is not just how Mike writes drill, but how it fits into the scheme of the show and how he works musically with their style. As the corps is going through a identity change, losing that aspect of the design makes the musical book and the entire package seem less connected than it really is. I think if they can get some drill rewrites and tie in things more clearly, they will be fine.

My biggest concern is what I have seen on the field in terms of performance. I'm hearing sounds that they don't usually make and seeing folks making mental error after mental error in drill. There is just a look of unpreparedness in how the kids are playing and moving and I get the vibe that they aren't really sure themselves of what is going on. It's pretty uncharacteristic of this corps and may have to do with a number of things.

I guess my overall perception is that there are some underlying issues with design, combined with some inconsistencies in rehearsing techniques among the staff. As we all know, it can be hard for new staffs to gel quickly, and its a main reason why corps like BD, Cadets and now Crown are able to be so consistent in their approach to not only design, but the method in how the show is taught and presented to the members.

There is clearly talent among both members and staff, but with so many other groups (Scouts, Spirit, etc.) making a bigger push this year, its become more obvious the issues that they are having at present. I'm sure they will get these resolved and I guess it only makes for an exciting season when there is more parity in DCI.

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 1

The biggest thing I notice about the 2012 Cavaliers show is they don't SOUND like the Cavaliers.

The corps that I thought had arguably the best show in 2010 with Mad World has lost the "Cavvies" sound they have carried since the Richard Saucedo music book days.

All the cleaning in the world won't fix that problem.

Makes sense somewhat. The '10 and '11 corps probably still had some guys who were taught under the old brass staff. I doubt the '12 corps does.

I’m assuming that you are being sarcastic, since I’m not aware of such a rivalry. :thumbdown::thumbdown: Why do you think this is such impossibility? They are both world class corps. Sure, the Cascades have not had the success of the Cavilers, but they are both in the same competitive class. The Cascades would not be in this class if they were not capable of competing on same level. We will see what people will be thinking about the Cascades when August comes around.

I think there may actually be an entire thread about the exact thing you're talking about. The closest that the Cavaliers and Cascades have ever been was the 2002 Finals, where there was a 15.1 point spread. We will see where they fall at the first regional, but as of right now, the spread between the two corps (DIsclaimer: comparing scores between shows is risky and pointless) is 20.600. We shall see, and it great to see someone so optimistic about their home corps, I applaud you for it, and I wish Cascades the best. But the closest they've ever been was 10 years ago now, the one time they made Finals. Best of luck to them.

Just because they're in the same class doesn't mean they're competitive with each other. Teal Sound and BD are in the same class, SCVC and Spirit of Newark are in the same class, but that does not mean that the two corps are competitive at all. It just means that they are in the same ordering for DCI when it comes to financial pay-outs at shows.

• Like 2

While you/we are at it, what about BD? The narration is horrible.

another truism on DCP. A BD complaint in every thread. Try to stay on topic. The thread is about the Cavies.

• Like 1

[/quote

]

I’m assuming that you are being sarcastic, since I’m not aware of such a rivalry. :thumbdown::thumbdown: Why do you think this is such impossibility? They are both world class corps. Sure, the Cascades have not had the success of the Cavilers, but they are both in the same competitive class. The Cascades would not be in this class if they were not capable of competing on same level. We will see what people will be thinking about the Cascades when August comes around.

Welcome to fantasyland!

Please don't feed the pink elephants.

Do you think that the Cascades will overtake the Cavaliers, once they clean their show? Just how weak are the Cavies this year? I really think people will be suprised, once the Cascades start hitting their stride, maybe they will take out the mighty Cavies this year. :thumbup:

You sir, are clearly delusional.

And also banned :smile:

It has been almost three weeks since I started this thread and it appears some of the concerns were warranted. The changes made going into Whitewater may have helped the show. However, the Cavies are losing ground. As of today, their rolling average has only improved a little more than three points and they now stand in 10th place on the weekly, rolling rankings according to DCI. Adding to it, Spirit is right behind them in the rolling ranks and Spirit beat Cavies head-to-head by more than half a point in Kalamazoo on Saturday evening.

There are many issues with this show as pointed out by several people on this thread. From the guard, to the thunderous goo, to the hornline not sounding like a Cavalier hornline. Whatever these issues are, they don't appear to be getting better.

All will come to a head this weekend in Minneapolis when we get our first chance to see everyone in a head-to-head competition.

Have at it again...................

They definitely won't drop out of the top 8.

ummmm...currently 9th. Yeah, i know it's the Michael Del Corso scores recap from various shows and not all from the same shows, but just saying, they currently are already out of the top 8.