DCI Changes before Amps/Bb

Lot of discussion about the changes to DCI in the last 10 or so years. What I'm looking for are the changes DCI made from the beginning to before these changes in the early 2000s.

All I'm coming up with number of members off the top of my head.

Lot of discussion about the changes to DCI in the last 10 or so years. What I'm looking for are the changes DCI made from the beginning to before these changes in the early 2000s.

All I'm coming up with number of members off the top of my head.

These are some DCI-era changes I recall...I am sure others have more...

Mallets...first carried and then grounded.

Pit...when they grouded mallets and timpani

2-valve horns in G

3-valve horns in G

Removal of the need to start in the endzone...first starting off the field in the back sideline and then permitting a corps to start on the field.

Permitting a show to end on the field, and not exiting out the other endzone.

The above two resulted in huge changes in how shows were designed...used to be the ballad was the exit number, for instance, now it is in the middle of the show much of the time.

Massive color guard changes in the type of work and technique demanded of the performers...not sure how much is rule-based and how much is just techniques being enhanced over time, as I am not a guard person.

LOTS of judging changes that culminated in what we have today...phased in at various times in various captions. Using tapes is one...eliminating ticks is another big one...but there are far to many over time to note.

Removal of the need to start in the endzone...first starting off the field in the back sideline and then permitting a corps to start on the field.

Permitting a show to end on the field, and not exiting out the other endzone.

The above two resulted in huge changes in how shows were designed...used to be the ballad was the exit number, for instance, now it is in the middle of the show much of the time.

Not sure if all those rules were made by DCI or by other entities (American Legion? VFW?)

Also, the Removal of a required song that presented the U.S. flag with an honor guard. The flag had to be in front of the corps.

Not sure if all those rules were made by DCI or by other entities (American Legion? VFW?)

Also, the Removal of a required song that presented the U.S. flag with an honor guard. The flag had to be in front of the corps.

My thought too.... and I totally forgot about the pit.... :doh:

Know DCA was using the starting/exit line in 1972 but their corps were more involved in AL.

the pit changed size a number of times (width wise)

Also members were allowed to march into and out of the pit at some point in the 90s

size to 135 then to 150

length of shows went from 11.5 to 13 minutes down to 10 to 11.5 minutes

members were allowed to pick up their own dropped equipment instead of having to wait for a judge to hand it to them.

Vocalization allowed (used to be penalized for saying anything on the field)

When DCI formed, corps still started in one endzone and exited out the other. Those changes happened through the mid-70's, during the DCI era.

That's a good one.