2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

I'm in the minority, I guess, when I think that the shows last year weren't ALL THAT, as a whole. The competition was exciting, and Cadets may have produced my new favorite show, but... I like Phantom more in 2010 vs. 2011, and Bluecoats, and Crown, Cavies, Madison...

I think it is premature to evaluate the season as a whole until it has been completed. Many corps at this point are just marching their shows, as someone pointed out above. The staff, is likely down playing some of the emotion at this point, as well as some of the "effect" sizzle so they keep the corps from peaking in July. I personally found this to be the biggest challenge our instructors went through, and my challenge as an instructor as well.

Keeping the emotions of the kids in-check, and then pushing them to unload that emotion when it is desired as a big task. But I bet the experts that run and teach the top corps are pretty skilled at this today :cool:

I love all of Crown's show. The simple fact of it being hard as hell is a turn on for me. Once the show gets clean it will blow peoples minds.

• Like 5

Well, alot of these shows will be performed a heck of alot better and cleaner by finals. I think it takes awhile before these shows are "performed" versus being marched.

That's a great point. In addition to cleaning there will be a lot of changes/enhancements made to the shows. At least as important will be the refinement of nuance and communication that will also happen. There will be a lot more expression, musicality and other details that make for a great performance being added/perfected throughout the season. It's not really fair to compare June performances to last year's Finals.

I think a lot of the shows we're seeing have a great deal of potential. I'm especially happy with what I'm seeing from Cadets and Regiment so far, and am blown away by the demand of what Crown has on the field. Can't wait to see how everyone develops through the summer.

It is easy to find problems with shows in June. Corps purposely hold back on items that improve the overall viewing experience. Color, guard equipment, "the new ending", etc. Impact points are improved. Transitions get better. The fun of watching drum corps in June is to try to determine who has created the best shell and how it will be built out during the summer. My guess, come August, most corps you mention will have the crowds going crazy and there will be few disappointments in Indianapolis.

Last year seemed an exceptional year for entertaining, engaging shows. This year slightly less so, but only slightly. Kind of reminds me of '08 vs '09.

-

• Like 1

I love all of Crown's show. The simple fact of it being hard as hell is a turn on for me. Once the show gets clean it will blow peoples minds.

Wait, so Crown does a hard show for once and gets all praise, but Cadets and Cavies have been doing harder shows for years and gets crapped on for not being clean enough!?

Seriously, get our priorities in sync... Crown "bandwagon" much?

Just because Crown finally does a difficult show doesn't mean they are getting my praises yet.

Edited by 72Bach
  • Like 5