Teal Sound Ends Tour

Jeff, every corps I've been with has said that dues were non-refundable in the contracts that I signed.

That included Cap Sound, Scouts (even through only auditions), and Legend.

That wouldn't stop some people and lawyers from still filing. Thought might be if they can generate enough negative publicity they might get something to be shut up. Or the lawyers would get some publicity. And since the corps operates under the DCI umbrella DCI might get some writs thrown their way too.

Let's not forget you don't have to have a good case to sue. And fighting a frivilous lawsuit can kill your finances. Know two people caught up in a wide spread sting operation who plead no contest to charges because fighting it in court would have bankrupt them. Ended up with probation and more in the bank account.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

which would simply ensure that Teal would have zero chance of getting back on their feet.

i understand the anger and heartbreak but i don't see the logic in pursuing that course (and i'll bet the sons and daughters of any parents who pursue that course would not see the logic either).

Perhaps I'm cold-hearted when it comes to getting a partial refund for the members/parents but the Corps didn't deliver on it's side of the bargain.

Maybe not the best analogy but it's the best I can come up with:

Say you purchase a 7 week cruise. 2 weeks into the cruise, the captain announces that you're returning home. Finances, debts, blah blah blah etc... whatever.

Do you:

A: Expect to be refunded for the percentage of the trip you didn't get.

or

B: Well, golly gee, I hope that poor cruise line gets back on it feet. They should keep my money.

Yeah. I'm bettin' you lawyer up and try to get part of your money back.

Yes, it does suck for the kids. For them, I'm very sad that they won't finish their season.

• Like 4

Enough of pointing fingers and whatnot, let's actually realistically consider what we're saying here. Parents are asking for reimbursements from an organization that apparently ended tour for financial issues. That's the first issue. If no money is there, no way that can happen. Nor do I foresee DCI itself footing the bill.

The problem I have is that I'm seeing parents posts about contacting lawyers, etc to "get what they want." If there is something in the contract saying they get a refund, so be it. But turning this into a legal case will not only hurt the future of the Teal Sound organization, but also the future of DCI.

• Like 1

And just for the record, I was and still am planning to audition for Teal in 2013. Call me crazy, but I have faith...as long as people will quit complaining with their computer keys and start committing with their financial fees.

• Like 2

My guess is that the comment may be along the lines of trying to get 'blood out of a stone'...if they are stopping tour due to financial problems...do they have the funds to return to parents? Not whether or not it would be a good idea...just if it is possible financially.

It seems unlikely, as I received a random email request for donations from them just a few days ago. Who knows what is going on with all of it, but they certainly seemed to be sending out the emergency flares recently.

Perhaps I'm cold-hearted when it comes to getting a partial refund for the members/parents but the Corps didn't deliver on it's side of the bargain.

Maybe not the best analogy but it's the best I can come up with:

Say you purchase a 7 week cruise. 2 weeks into the cruise, the captain announces that you're returning home. Finances, debts, blah blah blah etc... whatever.

Do you:

A: Expect to be refunded for the percentage of the trip you didn't get.

or

B: Well, golly gee, I hope that poor cruise line gets back on it feet. They should keep my money.

Yeah. I'm bettin' you lawyer up and try to get part of your money back.

Yes, it does suck for the kids. For them, I'm very sad that they won't finish their season.

Depends on what is in your cotract with the cruise company. Usually "Acts Of God" or anything outside of the cruise companys control (local rioting, etc) are non-refundible reasons. And they do recommend Trip Insurance....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think this is really sad, and probably most of it has to be put on the shoulders of the Board. How can you budget for a full tour and run out of money this early into it. If Teal does want to put a corps on the field next year, DCI should have oversight responsibilities into their finances to make sure this doesn't happen to the members and their hard earned money again.

• Like 1

This is terrible news to hear, and I'm sorry for all the members and their families and friends and fans who are now disappointed and angry.

I'm not surprised but I am saddened that this was announced so suddenly and without any explanation. I hope there's a better explanation coming forth. It sounds like the situation was known to the Teal admin and DCI for at least several days beforehand. I wonder why no public appeal for support was made--I'd have been willing to toss some money their way if it would have helped keep them afloat for the rest of the tour--or if the situation was just too dire to be fixable.

:sad:

We all feel bad for the members, staff and volunteers but in the end many people informed DCI of the financial issues with Teal last September. The problems from the past two seasons simply didn't go away they had just been ignored. Serious drum corps people told Dan that Teal should take a year off to re-group but in the end it was decided that the corps was good to go!! Are u &*(_*& kidding me!!!! DCI needs to me more of the solution and not the problem!!

I wish Teal the best of luck on its return but I seriously doubt they will ever come back as a World Class corps and maybe that's a good starting point for any new administration. Build a strong base and lets see what the activity does over the next three to five years. Maybe even DCI will develope a better touring plan for all! One could only hope!

JVN